Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default need new side trim

i need new ones. lol
im talking about the side trim. the plasticlike molding that goes along the side of your door on the xj?
mines black and its starting to wash out and my xj was in a wreck and the front end had to be rebuilt (just the vent, bumper, bezel and stuff. nothing major) and its all new. so the front is midnight blackish while the sides are a grey/black with tints of white. i dont wanna restore em with spray on stuff, id rather get new ones.

anyone know where to get em? i can find every other part i need but that.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 PM

no reply people? come on.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: i-6 4.0

know you said you dont want to restore it, but if you change your mind get a bottle of forever black. i put one coat on mine and its all a nice deep black. i ended up putting 2 or 3 coats on and it came out real nice. I also had the little white stress marks in mine and it took them out fairly quickly.

either that or ive heard some people say a heatgun will turn it black again.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

http://www.xjjeeps.com/tech_referenc...section=2&ID=0 This site has Jeep-Mopar OEM parts catalogs, in PDF. Down load your year (for future references). You can look up the parts numbers. And call your local jeep dealer for the prices. You might change your mind after finding out the prices.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 AM

parts stores have "trim black". it helps restore the black that most factory trim comes in. just clean everything off good with some grease and wax remover or rubbing alcohol, or windex. then mask off all the trim using some old news paper and masking tape. do 2-3 lite coats, or until it looks right, giving 5-10 mins between coats. or buy new ones
Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by EMAXX620
know you said you dont want to restore it, but if you change your mind get a bottle of forever black. i put one coat on mine and its all a nice deep black. i ended up putting 2 or 3 coats on and it came out real nice. I also had the little white stress marks in mine and it took them out fairly quickly.

either that or ive heard some people say a heatgun will turn it black again.
yeah if you look at my profile, i lost my driver side rear flare. 500 bucks to order and paint from dealership. i changed my mind and ive had no flare for 9 - 10 months. but i am just gunna take that 500 dollars and get some bushwacker ones
but back on topic. i really dont wanna restore em cus i can see it not lasting long did it on yours?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:37 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: i-6 4.0

Originally Posted by rockx502
yeah if you look at my profile, i lost my driver side rear flare. 500 bucks to order and paint from dealership. i changed my mind and ive had no flare for 9 - 10 months. but i am just gunna take that 500 dollars and get some bushwacker ones
but back on topic. i really dont wanna restore em cus i can see it not lasting long did it on yours?
i used back to black by mothers, and it lasted like 2 weeks, dont get that crap.

the forever black stuff ive had on now for about 3 months or so, maybe a bit longer and it still looks like i just put it on

this is a pic of it all washed up and the forever black on for around a month and a half at the time im guessing.

id go take a pic of it now, but the jeep is a bit dirty and the side trim is pretty covered with road dust and crap.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

get a can of spray from autozone, advance auto, pepboys....what ever your auto store is that's called trim paint. it's made by Duplicolor and it works amazingly! I've had it on mine for 2 years now without any fading.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 PM

the forever black works awesome like stated before. As far as place to buy replacement check quadratec and 4wd.com the second usually has better prices but the first sometimes has what most do not so i would check those first. Probably the replacement links inside each web site will be your best bet.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by EMAXX620
i used back to black by mothers, and it lasted like 2 weeks, dont get that crap.

the forever black stuff ive had on now for about 3 months or so, maybe a bit longer and it still looks like i just put it on

this is a pic of it all washed up and the forever black on for around a month and a half at the time im guessing.

id go take a pic of it now, but the jeep is a bit dirty and the side trim is pretty covered with road dust and crap.

the mothers back to black works, you just have to put it on a few times. Mine lasts for about a month or so before it looks any different at all from how it's supposed to. But i may try that forever black just to see the difference
Old 09-16-2010, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Just take off the trim. There's people on here that took off the trim, and it looks just as good.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKSPORT
the forever black works awesome like stated before. As far as place to buy replacement check quadratec and 4wd.com the second usually has better prices but the first sometimes has what most do not so i would check those first. Probably the replacement links inside each web site will be your best bet.
i have yet to find any online actually. i looked at quadratec and i couldnt find a arrow to it anywhere
if you can find it please point it out
99 cherokee xj 4.0l i6 2wd 4dr

but thank you all
ill look into them all!