Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Need advice on buying an xj

Hey guys. I havent been here in a long time. I panicked when Katherine my first ever vehicle and my first xj tried to murder me. Had the wheel bearing kersplode and only thing holding the tire on was the caliper as i was going downhill. That and the tags went bad and i didnt want to buy a new cat converter since i came from an area where they werent required.

So ive got 1200 bucks but i dont want to spend more than 1k however here in oregon theres soooo many damn places to wheel that its hard to find a stock xj that isnt beat to hell or unreasonably priced.

I found this one here. http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4209869467.html havent been out to look at it or test drive yet but i wanted to get some ideas on things i need to look for and check and what your guys thoughts might be.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Please refer to the other thread that is also asking, as I said in that thread, do some reading, best thing you can do is search, search , and read. Look at the different options jeep had, packages, styles, etc.... Then decide what jeep you are looking for, it'll make it a lot easier, less time and money checking out Cherokees and such
Old 11-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Seasoned Member

I know pretty close what i want demonoid. I want as close to my original as possible. 89-95 xj 175k or less. 2wd or 4wd isnt important. Im not going to be wheeling or modifying just restoring and maintaining. Minimal body damage. The laredo trim package. No more than 3 inches of lift. The 4.0l straight 6 or the HO version. I just wanted more so an opinion on this one and things to watch out for. I know there was coolant/heating issues with mine that seemed to be common. Mine also had a transmission leak. Ive heard rear main seal leak is also common. But i just want some advice on things to look for especially considering this one has a hole rusted through the floor pan in a weird spot.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:51 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

well since he's wanting to sell it and visit family in a few days, though he says least he'll take is 1100 I'll bet you can get it for 900....

check out the small rust hole he talked about, check the normal fluids, take it for a drive and decide.... you'll have to add carpet but as you said you kinda want to restore and maintain it so, you'd be off to a good start with a carpet kit
Old 11-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Hes acting pretty shifty. This whole deal is throwing red flags for me.

Ok so i asked. How the rust hole got there in that spot cuz it was odd for right behind the passenger seat. I also asked does heater work. Good sign of if the coolant issues are there or not. Was the engine rebuilt or just headgasket? Asked if it leaked or burned oil and the mileage before the engine issues.

His response was I just got the car a week ago so he doesnt know half of the answers and says The jeep runs solid!!! <----triple exclamation pointzes! He means business Said the heater works. And said It was the engine not the head gasket. Dont think he knows what a head gasket is even... Says it doesnt leak or burn and again says its a good car. *sniffled* He called it a car! That poor jeep is in a terrible place.

I then asked why he was selling it and he said i drive from portland to vancouver. Which isnt that far gas wise on a jeep. But an understandable reason. Said theyre gonna use the money to get a small car.

So then i asked where theyre at and they sent me a 99kb file that at first said something like hidden/private address that wouldnt download on my phone against my better judgement.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:05 PM

not sure about red flags, I've bought cars before and turned them over within a couple weeks because I simply didn't want them or tastes change.. bought a toyota xcab once 4 banger thought it would get great gas mileage but it would only push 22mpg driving it grandma, so I dumped it..after 2 weeks...

so he may be legit and didn't realize what a hog these things are and now just wants an economical car...

myself I don't like the fact the motors been changed but that's just me...
Old 11-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Seasoned Member

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/4167395709.html What do you think of this one Diesel? Its a bit high mileage but i know they can go to 300k with good maintenance and it sounds like this guy really loves his jeep.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 PM

You have to remember its 1300 dollars, as long as it's all cosmetic and the guy is telling the truth about that being the only thing wrong with it then it's not bad of a deal, the only thing to worry about is the giant rust hole, I'd start to wonder where there are other holes or bad rust spots
Old 11-29-2013, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Crimmy
http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/4167395709.html What do you think of this one Diesel? Its a bit high mileage but i know they can go to 300k with good maintenance and it sounds like this guy really loves his jeep.
It sounds legit, he brings up key points..

I'd say jump on it for 1k.... try to offer 900 see what happens...