Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

My new xj

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My new xj

Traded yesterday for my first xj. It's a 92 cherokee 4 door, 4.0 automatic, part time/full time 4x4 transfer. Welded rear end, snorkel, new 31x10.5's and new rims. Has some wiring issues but runs and drives. The key switch locked up so they took the steering column down to where you could pull that little shaft forward to activate everything then you start it with a push button. Only the oil pressure and battery gauges work. The heat doesn't work think its the blower but when you switch from defrost to vent you can hear the sound. It has some rust haven't found it all yet but so far interior looks good other than one hole in the back behind the wheel well. The outside is rusted below the doors. Took some pics to post but don't know how.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. What did you trade for it?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:43 PM

Traded my 2008 kawasaki kfx450r to it, was a good running and mean fourwheeler but it was starting to smoke and had lots of little things that needed done so I ain't worried about it. I couldn't afford to rebuild it lol them racing motors ain't cheap to rebuild. I've had many projects before and I love xj's and have always wanted one so I love it and am really looking forward to messing around with it. Any ideas on how much a key switch is?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

They're pretty cheap, any parts store will be able to source one for you. That's the beauty of the XJ, parts are affordable.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 AM

Yeah you can't argue with that! Not to mention I know how reliable the 4.0's are. Hoping a key switch ain't too much I'm stopping by autozone today to price one, the muffler needs a turndown so hoping I can get that too but if I can only get one I'm getting the key switch, funds are tight haha. And also I came up with a name for it yesterday, "The Black Knight" sounds pretty good to me.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:29 PM

Stopped and got the turndown for my flowmaster on the xj and got it a new spectre air filter for the snorkel too. Priced the key switch, 48.99 and I only had 47 dollars so I spent about 35 on the air filter and turndown. Have to wait until I get more money before I can get the key switch, and I figure I'll need a gauge cluster since my only working gauges are the oil pressure, battery, and learned today that the temp gauge works. Hoping I can find a gauge cluster for a reasonable price. Also I think my xj has a little bit of a lift on it I know it has a leaf added to the back or something, it don't look like a normal leaf but the guy said he added it and after looking at it I think it's got a small lift (te added leaf and I think the coils may have a spacer or may be a little longer haven't looked real close at them yet)
Old 11-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy all the parts you need at the Junk Yard. The yards in my area are littered with them. I recommend pullapart.com if you have one close by.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 PM

Don't have anything nearby that I know of but will check that out and see if there's one near me, thanks man! Also how do I post pics on here?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:23 PM

No pull a parts near me unfortunately...