XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Jeep Cherokee Remote locked me out.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My Jeep Cherokee Remote locked me out.

A puzzle I need help in solving. My 2014 Jeep Cherokee Remote started the motor, air and music during a modest rains storm. I opened driver door, put my purse containing the Fob inside, closed that door, walked around to open the passenger front door and it was locked.So were all of the other doors. This has never happened before. I need to know what I did wrong. (Second Fob was not available at the time.)
Old 07-20-2014, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Must be all that modern computer stuff.

Malfunction is a common problem in the first generations of new things, such as the new Cherokee.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Take it to the dealer and have it fixed under warranty.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Congrats on the jeep.

Not to be an ***, but you shoold never put the key fob in the vehicle with you not in it. Like said above, these new electronics are problematic
Old 07-20-2014, 08:25 PM

The owner of the dealership was the first call I made and came at once. She stayed with me until law enforcement came to solve my problem. They were as puzzled as I was. Frankly, I think putting the Fob inside was a mistake even tho I have done that before. A slight lapse in time may have prevented this from happening until yesterday. I will definitely take it to the dealer to be 'repaired' if it is technology's phantom behavior. I appreciate all of these replies to my appeal for help.
Signed a first time Jeep owner
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Is this a factory remote start system or is it aftermarket. Just because the it was put in at the dealer doesn't make it factory equipment.

Remote starts are remarkably quirky nowadays. Car keys have anti theft chips in them, key fobs have transmitters allowing start buttons to start the engine. No dealership will tell you the absolute truth about the remote start and neither will an aftermarket installer, they just want you to buy their product. When they say their system works with your car, all it means is it will start the engine, it's not a claim that all other systems will work as normal.

Simple solution to all problems, never leave the key in the car. If you never leave the key there, you'll never be locked out.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:56 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by black label
Is this a factory remote start system or is it aftermarket. Just because the it was put in at the dealer doesn't make it factory equipment.

Remote starts are remarkably quirky nowadays. Car keys have anti theft chips in them, key fobs have transmitters allowing start buttons to start the engine. No dealership will tell you the absolute truth about the remote start and neither will an aftermarket installer, they just want you to buy their product. When they say their system works with your car, all it means is it will start the engine, it's not a claim that all other systems will work as normal.

Simple solution to all problems, never leave the key in the car. If you never leave the key there, you'll never be locked out.
I came to the same conclusion. No matter what the dealer says I will be on guard and never again leave the Fob inside the car. This is supposed to be a factory remote start system but you make a fine point,black label. Thank you for stopping by.
Moppy
Old 07-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by moppy

I came to the same conclusion. No matter what the dealer says I will be on guard and never again leave the Fob inside the car. This is supposed to be a factory remote start system but you make a fine point,black label. Thank you for stopping by.
Moppy
Well, I did use to be the dealer, I know how they operate. I really hated having them installed in my customers cars, they were just a customer service issue waiting to happen.

Fwiw, I'd make sure I have the actual key, not just the fob. The fob is electronic and electronic things can act wacky (as you've experienced first hand). The key is mechanical and much more reliable.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 AM

Well, I did use to be the dealer, I know how they operate. I really hated having them installed in my customers cars, they were just a customer service issue waiting to happen.

Fwiw, I'd make sure I have the actual key, not just the fob. The fob is electronic and electronic things can act wacky (as you've experienced first hand). The key is mechanical and much more reliable.
Good to know about your experience, black label. There is a key that can be detached from the Fob. May I assume that is practical enough back-up to a faulty Fob?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by moppy

Good to know about your experience, black label. There is a key that can be detached from the Fob. May I assume that is practical enough back-up to a faulty Fob?
The key is the best back up you can have.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM

The key is the best back up you can have.
Black label - please excuse my lack of knowledge when you read my question. The key can open a locked door when the fob can't. I don't see a place to insert the key to start the car or will it start automatically when I unlock the door using the key?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Ahh, push button start with no true mechanical back up, I didn't realize that.

Well, the physical key will get you in the door, it will not start the car for you. If you refer to pages 14-19 in your owners manual it will detail how to start the car when the key fob battery is too weak to send a proper signal to the ignition.

But to answer your question, no, there is no way to start the vehicle with the key alone. The fob is required to start it.

At least with the key in you hand you'll never be locked out.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 PM

Smile

Ahh, push button start with no true mechanical back up, I didn't realize that.

Well, the physical key will get you in the door, it will not start the car for you. If you refer to pages 14-19 in your owners manual it will detail how to start the car when the key fob battery is too weak to send a proper signal to the ignition.

But to answer your question, no, there is no way to start the vehicle with the key alone. The fob is required to start it.

At least with the key in you hand you'll never be locked out.
Thank you, black label for clarifying the key limitations and I agree, at least I won't be locked out. I read some of the owners manual after this happened but was so upset (and embarrassed) by the lengths I had to go to to just get the car open I do not remember anything I read. I am very grateful you referred me to specific pages in the manual. On my way now to read them carefully. Will update this thread with a better understanding hopefully.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:10 PM

OK! I got it black label. Thanks again for walking me through the early days of Jeep ownership. No doubt I'll be back the next time it challenges me.