XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

MPG Time: Heat Exchanger

Old 01-01-2019, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam
Default MPG Time: Heat Exchanger

I've just ordered a Dudadiesel heat exchanger I intend to use with the coolant to pre-heat the fuel on my 2000 XJ. I've only found 3 people that have done this on their vehicle and all 3 had fantastic results. I couldn't find where anyone had tried to do something like this and had a bad experience. Two of them wound up copper tubes to some degree to their coolant hoses, one guy used a transmission cooler/heat exchanger from a Ford of some design to do what I am about to do with the Dudadiesel heat exchanger. Has anyone else seen or heard of anything doing something like this? I would have thought I could find more people that had done it online but it appears to not be nearly as common as all the other alternatives that may or may not work... sometimes. (hydrogen, magnets, etc)

I'm waiting on the fuel pressure to bleed back into the fuel tank at the moment. I am converting my non-return style system to a return style using the purge port as a return for the time being, using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I just replaced the pump 4 months ago with a Carter unit from RockAuto and the check valve slowly died over the course of two weeks. I've been priming it 5 times every time I start it since... not for long though. It also runs at 60PSI when it's supposed to be 50. I think I'm going to whittle it down to 43-45 and see how it responds. Has anyone else return'ified their setup?

Old 01-06-2019, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Never heard of it. Are you thinking that pre-heating your fuel will increase efficiency?
Old 01-06-2019, 09:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Typically we try to keep that area cool to avoid heat soak related start up idle issues.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Yeah, I guess I understand the theory - vaporize the fuel as quickly as possible - which means more energy is conserved or something. I dont really understand it I guess, lol
My XJ seems to do this inherently unless it's cold outside. Fuel rail is always hot as hell