Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Montana vehicle regs question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, 99+ intake, SS header w/flex joints, full 2.5" exhaust w/Flowmaster
Default Montana vehicle regs question.

This isn't really a tech question, but more of a law type question, so I figured this would be ok to post it here.

I'm going to be moving from Lakewood, CO to Wisdom, MT this Christmas and was wondering what the differences are in the laws (as they pertain to lifted vehicles) are like up in MT. Anything I need to look out for or deal with before moving up there?

Heck, I don't really know for sure it my XJ is even legal here in CO as it sits now. The previous owner did the lift, axle swaps and fender trimming before I got it from him, so I just assumed it was fine (ie: legal) as it is.

It's a 97 XJ 4dr, AT/242 w/ a Ford D44 up front and a 8.8 out back. The wheelbase was extended both forward and backward (not sure how much) and the lift was pieced together with different parts from various kits. I'd guess it's up about 4-6" over stock. The tires are 35x12.5-15's on steel 15x8 rims. The D44 is a 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern with a 1.25" wheel spacer and the 8.8 is a 5x4.5 pattern axle with a 1.25" wide 5x5.5 adapter. The frnders were trimmed to clear the 35's so I don't have any flares or mud flaps at the moment. I laso have a pair of Hella driving lights on the front TnT stinger bumper. Rear bumper is a home made custom piece (still working on it) but it's safe and solid at the moment.

The wheel spacers and lack of flares are my biggest concerns as far as potential legal problems go. Am right to be worrying about any of this stuff or is MT pretty laid back? Does anyone here know if is sounds like there is something I need to fix or change on the XJ before moving up there?

Thanks,
Paul

EDIT: I 've been lurking around here for a while, but this is my first post so I guess I should at least say hi. Hi.

Last edited by GoMopar440; 11-15-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I am not an expert of law in MT, but I think you only need to worry about flaps and flares. There are many pickups with tires sticking out 1-3" and they never have problems in the eastern part.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by nhegel
I am not an expert of law in MT, but I think you only need to worry about flaps and flares. There are many pickups with tires sticking out 1-3" and they never have problems in the eastern part.
Montana requires the rear tires to be covered by the fenders or flares. The best way to find out is to do an online search then print and carry the state codes in your glove box.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.liftlaws.com/montana_lift_laws.htm
Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, 99+ intake, SS header w/flex joints, full 2.5" exhaust w/Flowmaster

Originally Posted by jmm0122
Thank you very much for that link.

From the sound of it, my Jeep's mostly good already. I'll just need to add some kind of flares/flaps and get an E-brake cable (PO never installed one after the axle swap).

I was looking at getting the Iceland Offroad flares mentioned in the October JP mag article (Meat Stuffing). Anyone know of any other 4 dr XJ flares made for cut fenders and where I could find them? The Iceland Offroad flares are taking about 3 weeks to manufacture and ship. I'm going to be in a time crunch getting them, installing them and then repainting the XJ before I leave (Dec 23). I'll have the money to buy them next week, so I only have about that much time to make up my mind.

The Jeep is already getting repainted anyway (peeling clearcoat ), so I really need to get the flares on first. Well, that and finish the tire carrier and rear bumper, etc... I'm sure you all know how it goes with these Jeeps...