Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

made to pay for services not recieved

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default made to pay for services not recieved

Had a very bad experience at the dealership today. I had purchased 2 key fobs for my Cherokee as the originals were lost. After waiting about 20 minutes, I was told my module wouldn't communicate and they couldn't program the fobs. Then they wanted the full price anyway! Even though they didn't complete the job!

I will not mention the names or dealership pending a complaint call I have into Chrysler.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:44 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Most places will tell you that is the case before they do the service. Kind of like an inspection. $xx pass or fail.

Their side of the story is, they still used their time, to try to do it. You're side is, you received nothing out of it.

Crappy situation really.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:46 PM

If he told me that going in it would be totally different.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:05 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Pay with a credit card then deny charges with your credit card company.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Pay with a check, and place the payment on hold.
If the shop manager is willing to work with you these situations can turn into paying time/labor/parts, whichever can be agreed upon.

Last edited by highmileage; 02-03-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:48 PM

I paid with a credit card. It wasn't a whole lot of money, but it was to me right now. I just rebuilt my transmission and new tires and found out I owed $700 on my taxes, all with my first child on the way.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by 98redjeep
I paid with a credit card. It wasn't a whole lot of money, but it was to me right now. I just rebuilt my transmission and new tires and found out I owed $700 on my taxes, all with my first child on the way.
This time next year you will be sitting pretty with an earned income tax credit because of that first child.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so let's get this straight, you buy 2 new keyfobs, and then the mechanic takes the time to try and program them to your vehicle, it fails because your vehicle is broken.

he invests his time he has to get paid
they don't get paid hourly

you want him to take food of his table because your stuff was broken when you came to him?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by skife
so let's get this straight, you buy 2 new keyfobs, and then the mechanic takes the time to try and program them to your vehicle, it fails because your vehicle is broken.

he invests his time he has to get paid
they don't get paid hourly

you want him to take food of his table because your stuff was broken when you came to him?
Are you a "mechanic" or a "car salesman", because you sure do sound like one. What a rip. Starve the weasels and they cannot reproduce.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by 98redjeep
Had a very bad experience at the dealership today. I had purchased 2 key fobs for my Cherokee as the originals were lost. After waiting about 20 minutes, I was told my module wouldn't communicate and they couldn't program the fobs. Then they wanted the full price anyway! Even though they didn't complete the job!

I will not mention the names or dealership pending a complaint call I have into Chrysler.
I take it your employer expects you work for free once in a while too? Not me, if I'm working I'm getting paid for my time.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:20 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99

I wonder how much this cost, but every shop I've been to had a minimum that was a diagnosis charge that gets used as final payment as well (just incase you can't afford the repair) and they quote you it up front. I've done plenty of diagnosis work for free over the years, and when something doesn't work the shop ends up not charging the customer since their **** is still broken! It's called the cost of doing business, and the shop owner should comp the employee the pay, and the customer the refund.

Starve the weasels is right.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Most "mechanics" do get paid hourly, especially those who work at a dealership. Those that don't are either complete chumps or work for themselves. I sure as hell have never paid for services that were never rendered. Grow a sack.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by CrawdadSlim
Most "mechanics" do get paid hourly, especially those who work at a dealership. Those that don't are either complete chumps or work for themselves. I sure as hell have never paid for services that were never rendered. Grow a sack.
So if you retain an attorney for legal services and lose your case you expect to not be charged due to "no services rendered"? Good luck with that...and grow up.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by CrawdadSlim
Wrong. Every dealership I have ever worked at paid their mechanics flat rate. The warranty time required to do warranty repairs pay by tenths of an hour, which is a flat rate scale. If a mechanic at a dealership screws something up he can get back flagged for the time. It's not easy to be a dealership mechanic, it is feast or famine most of the time.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
So if you retain an attorney for legal services and lose your case you expect to not be charged due to "no services rendered"? Good luck with that...and grow up.
I don't need an attorney and I 'm a grown *** man. I just tell them how it is and I'm out the door no harm done, and no money spent.

Quick Reply: made to pay for services not recieved