Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LPG Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default LPG Conversion

I have just bought a 2000 petrol 2.5L Cherokee XJ and am looking to convert to LPG, any advice on which system would be best to install? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish i could help,But most of us are Americans and we don't use LPG unless its on a forklift.Maybe a uk or aussie jeep forum might have better info.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Not so, Andrew! It's not uncommon here. I worked at one place where the outside sales people had company cars, and they were all dual gasoline/LPG rigs. LPG is a bunch cheaper than gas, but it's gutless.

Ed, I doubt you are going to find many Jeep people are interested in LPG. The economics are very different over here, and it's typically corporations that run LPG in street vehicles. Very few individuals have any interest, and since Jeep people tend to be performance minded, they are probably among the least likely to want LPG.

I think you might have better success by searching for forums that are dedicated to running LPG. If any of those exist.... Or search for alternative fuels forums. I'm sure there are plenty of those.

Watch now, somebody will prove me wrong and come along and talk about his LPG conversion!
Old 09-17-2016, 06:11 AM
CF Veteran

Last and only LPG cars i ever seen was the local airport auction 15 years ago,But they removed the tanks from them but left the rest of the system.What i was told they tried it and didn't like it and never went back to it.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The only real benefit to LPG is that it burns cleaner. But the drawbacks outweigh the one benefit. Less range on a tank of fuel, less places to fuel up, the tank takes up a lot of space, and the cost of the conversion will be more than the savings of the price of the fuel.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help guys, I can only assume but I'm guessing it's a bit more common in the UK. I bought the jeep as something a bit more fun than my old citroen c1 and to learn how a car actually works and learn how to fix it. I realise I could spend the money of a conversion on the fuel but I think over time it will be cheaper, petrol here is 110 a litre and gas is 56p a litre so it is fairly cheap. What does it do to the performance because my girlfriends dad has a 1990 range rover which he has converted to LPG and he says his performance isn't affected, although he runs on petrol when off roading. Thanks again
Old 09-17-2016, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

LPG has less of a BTU value, meaning it has less energy than gasoline. That is why there is less range with LPG verses the range for the equivalent of gasoline.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

In Europe and australia its common because the price of lpg vs gasonline the lpg is a lot cheaper and worth the downsides.In the usa the price between gasonline and lpg isn't big enough to make it worth using it.And to refuel you have to go to uhaul so if you need fuel after 5pm your screwed.Jay lenos garage had a custom car that was lpg,The owners drove it across the usa,Refueling was the only problems mostly because places closed at a set time and nothing 24 hours.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ed_smith08
I realise I could spend the money of a conversion on the fuel but I think over time it will be cheaper

You think? Or you assume?

Do the math. You might be fooling yourself. You might be right. Until you do the math, you are just guessing. It's not just about the cost of gas vs. LPG. You use more LPG for the same mileage. Have you calculated the difference over time?

Originally Posted by ed_smith08
What does it do to the performance because my girlfriends dad has a 1990 range rover which he has converted to LPG and he says his performance isn't affected
LPG has a lower energy density than gasoline. I've never heard of anyone getting anywhere near the same performance. The universal complaint is that running on LPG makes the vehicle gutless.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I have saw several engines disassembled that had been ran on LPG for a very long time and you would not believe how clean they were inside. Still lots of PU trucks ran on LPG around this area in fact the 4 state area, reason cost.....Free it's all from the huge propane tanks at the big chicken and hog farms they have access to every day where they work and live on them.

There still are some older AG Tractors that run on LPG as well in fact the guy up the road from me has one he rakes hay with has for years.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
reason cost.....Free it's all from the huge propane tanks at the big chicken and hog farms they have access to every day where they work and live on them.

I'm pretty sure those tanks don't magically fill themselves....
Old 09-25-2016, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
I'm pretty sure those tanks don't magically fill themselves....

It may just be what is leaking off from over filling the tanks they use

A few keep at least one Ag Tractor running on propane so they can get the fuel for it and don't where they get propane for their trucks.

Last year over by the stock yards the Highway Patrol was checking all diesel PU's to make sure they were running fuel that was taxed for highway use, not off road. Many were not and received a steep fine no way to tell with propane.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:32 AM
CF Veteran

Fred the off road diesel has red dye in it and will smoke more.The cops can and will swab your tank to see,If busted its like a 10 grand fine its not a joke.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Yes I know a old friend of mine who hauls cattle paid that fine $850 and your correct on the color difference easy to see when checked if Ag use or road tax paid..
Old 09-26-2016, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Fred the off road diesel has red dye in it and will smoke more.The cops can and will swab your tank to see,If busted its like a 10 grand fine its not a joke.

Nah, it doesn't smoke more. I run it in my tractor. I get it free.

Quick Reply: LPG Conversion