Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Looking for some input for new Speakers and Head Unit

Hello Jeep Land,

I'm new here as of last week, just purchased myself a 2000 jeep cherokee sport, and she's a beaut. Few scratches here and there but the previous owner treated her like a champ. I do have a problem that seems to be quite common among jeeps of this year, both my driver side and passenger side front speakers do not work. No snap crackle or pop, so i figure the wiring is shot. SO i thought this could be my excuse to put some money into a nice new head unit/ speakers Gotta love how i just find excuses to spend money. So i was wondering if any of you could just suggest some speakers that have been good to you and some head units. I have been looking at the applies with the front end usb connector since i would like to use my iPhone for music. Any input would be great, THANKS!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

I suggest getting kicker speakers from best buy, i think it would be 150 or so for all 4, and just get a 150$ head unit from best buy as well, just do not buy a dual brand head unit, there crappy but cheap, and you may as well have bestbuy install it all, that way its done professionally and perfect
Old 07-30-2011, 01:56 PM

Year: 1997

Alpine type r's sound pretty good
Old 07-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Yeah, for the head unit i was looking at the apline cde-123. Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-26-2014, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Old thread, but I didnt want to clutter the forum with multiple copies of the same question..

I'm looking to replace the 2 door speakers and the 2 rear roof speakers in my 01 XJ and I'm not sure which would sound better for the money, the Alpine SPR-50 speakers or the Kenwood Excelon KFC-X133 speakers.

I do not want a sub in the back and will probably get a new head unit but on a budget so will run the stock Inifinity Cd/tape/radio head unit for now. I have the factory amp, but the alarm/stereo shop guy suggested bypassing it and looping the inputs/outputs and letting whatever new head unit I get drive the speakers.

If anyone has any experience on the Kenwood's and Alpine's I listed, I would like to hear from you.

Front speakers dont work at the moment (blown and wire in rubber boots broken) and I just want some sound, not to wake neighbors, just decent sounding audio.

Thanks!
Squelchtone
Old 04-26-2014, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

If you are not going to add a better amp than the infinity under the rear seat you might as well just stick with the stock system. Changing the head unit and using it to power the speakers won't make a noticeable difference. Swapping the stock speakers for aftermarket ones makes for a better sound at the loss of some bass (albeit muddy cause stock speakers are cheap crap). Any head unit I have used starts clipping before it can make up the bass that is lost. Best thing I did was amp all four speakers and add a sub.
Want better sound? Upgrade the head unit. Add a 5 channel amp and wire it to four new aftermarket speakers and a sub.
Or two amps one 4ch and one for the sub.

Upgrade the head unit and amp at the same time since most of the wiring is done for the infinity system.

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 04-26-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

I like jvc head units
Old 04-27-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Speakers are so subjective. Id recommend going to whatever shop you can that has a demo and bring some music you like and try them out. Still will end up sounding different in your vehicle. I am an old school stereo guy and stopped messing with them a long time ago. When it was time to get some better sound in the XJ I Just picked up a head unit that had the features I was looking for. They are pretty much all feature packed nowadays and cheap. I put some alpine 5 1/4 in the front( sorry dont have model) and pioneers in the rear. Added a cheap Dual 400 amp to power a 10" kicker in a ported box and it is quite satisfying for the small amount of effort and cash. The only thing I could suggest different is getting 6.5s for the doors for a more full sound. Using amps for everything can definitely make for great sound but not really needed IMO.

Back in the late 80s early 90s this kind of sound and features would have cost triple. It kind of blows me away what is available now for dirt cheap.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Clarion speakers are good quality
Old 04-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

I'm just going to throw a bit of advice out there regarding head units and USB interface. They are not all equal.

I would highly advise plugging into each head unit you consider and see how easy or difficult it is to operate the iPod from the stereo. Mine (pioneer) is a bit cumbersome and doesn't give you many options on how to search other than "playlist" or "song".

To play an album (dating myself with the word album) I have to search for a song on that album, select it so it starts playing, then push another button to switch from "mix song" to "mix album". All song searching is done by spinning the volume **** which would be much easier if it could be done with a button that could be tapped or held for fast scrolling. God forbid you accidentally push the volume ****, then you jump to "sound settings", have to exit out and start over.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Seasoned Member

^^^

And then I realized this was a bump of an old thread focusing only on speakers now.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Are you looking at singles or components for the doors? I know the alpine is available as a spr 50 and as a spr 50c. The 50c adds the 1" dome tweeter which if mounted near the rear view mirrors and directed back towards the seats creates an excellent front sound stage. It's a bit more work as you have some mounting to do but the sound quality you get from a well aimed component speaker is amazing.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by black label
Are you looking at singles or components for the doors? I know the alpine is available as a spr 50 and as a spr 50c. The 50c adds the 1" dome tweeter which if mounted near the rear view mirrors and directed back towards the seats creates an excellent front sound stage. It's a bit more work as you have some mounting to do but the sound quality you get from a well aimed component speaker is amazing.
just looking for easiest way to remove factory speakers and install 5.25's, in the same holes, that sound somewhat better than factory. I saw some site saying for the XJ it is recommended to get baffles for the doors to get better sound:
Amazon Amazon

When you use words like "front sound stage" to me it sounds like you're an audiophile/expert.. I'm not.. just want better than factory sound, not Dolby or THX certified sound ;-)

and I'm not getting a sub, I mentioned that in my original post and everyone's still like dude, get a sub.. I'm not into bass or 3000watt amps, I just want quality music that sounds better than the factory provided. I don't want a sub thumpin in the back and taking up space where I normally put tools and spare jeep parts =)

Squelchtone
Old 04-28-2014, 11:00 PM

I have an alpine cde143bt and spr50's on all four corners, powered by jbl804ez. Sounds phenominal and i love the bluetooth. i have an xjpod and it compliments the type r's because they are more high range speakers.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Squelchtone

just looking for easiest way to remove factory speakers and install 5.25's, in the same holes, that sound somewhat better than factory. I saw some site saying for the XJ it is recommended to get baffles for the doors to get better sound: Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/XTC-5-1-Foam-Baffle-Pair/dp/B0002ZPO2W

When you use words like "front sound stage" to me it sounds like you're an audiophile/expert.. I'm not.. just want better than factory sound, not Dolby or THX certified sound ;-)

and I'm not getting a sub, I mentioned that in my original post and everyone's still like dude, get a sub.. I'm not into bass or 3000watt amps, I just want quality music that sounds better than the factory provided. I don't want a sub thumpin in the back and taking up space where I normally put tools and spare jeep parts =)

Squelchtone
The 97+ fit 6.5" speakers easily. Just look for the mounting depth specs for the front because the magnets can hit the windows.

Quick Reply: Looking for some input for new Speakers and Head Unit