Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

looking at a 92 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default looking at a 92 XJ

good evening, name is Mike. new guy here. Been a long time since I had a Jeep. I found the Cherokee in my price range. it has a six cylinder automatic. It's a two-door. No power anything very basic. Which is what I want. Has a 4 inch lift. I asked who made the lift. He said it's a combination of parts. It has 33 and mud tires on it.Tires are pretty worn. Has a few dents and scratches. From what he's telling me no real rust. The valve cover is leaking a bit and the gas tank has a pinhole leak. His price is 1750. Has 160,000 miles on it.

Going to look at it this weekend. What should I look for? It's not exactly what I want but it's in my price range and it's pretty close. I'm driving a military truck every day. The thing can barely pass a gas station. Would be nice to have something more comfortable to ride in for me and my lady. Will try to get some pictures.. Like to hear what you have to say. Thank you
Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by 98liftedxj
good evening, name is Mike. new guy here. Been a long time since I had a Jeep. I found the Cherokee in my price range. it has a six cylinder automatic. It's a two-door. No power anything very basic. Which is what I want. Has a 4 inch lift. I asked who made the lift. He said it's a combination of parts. It has 33 and mud tires on it.Tires are pretty worn. Has a few dents and scratches. From what he's telling me no real rust. The valve cover is leaking a bit and the gas tank has a pinhole leak. His price is 1750. Has 160,000 miles on it.

Going to look at it this weekend. What should I look for? It's not exactly what I want but it's in my price range and it's pretty close. I'm driving a military truck every day. The thing can barely pass a gas station. Would be nice to have something more comfortable to ride in for me and my lady. Will try to get some pictures.. Like to hear what you have to say. Thank you

Hi Mike, welcome! A bit sketchy, but about what the price would suggest. Sounds like its got a junkyard lift, so I wouldn't count on the ride being much cushier than what you're rolling in now, lol. Bear in mind, if you plan to stick with the same size/style of tires, replacing those worn 33" mud tires will push the price of the Jeep well into the range of purchasing a pretty nice XJ.

If you decide to go for it;

Ask what gears it has. Pushing 33s with stock gears & an automatic isn't going to yield very good mpg.

Aim for the bumps on your test drive, check for excessive bumpsteer/death wobble. Ask for a complete list of components changed for the lift. Control arms, pitman arm, etc.

Take a flashlight, make SURE it's a valve cover leak(quick easy fix) and not the rear main seal.

Check the frame(especially around the steering box) for cracks or rust damage. Ditto the floors and wheel housings.

Peek under the dash and check out the wiring. If it appears to be unmolested, great. If it looks like a rats nest, walk away.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a lot.. missed it. sold it 9am this morning