lift vs stock

Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.
Default lift vs stock

ok guys, ive had alot of people i know tell me not to lift my jeep because it will absolutely destroy the ride. So heres my question, should i get a BB which would consist of a front spacer and a shackle/block in which i keep my stock suspension....OR a 3.5" RE lift with full packs/RC 3in full packs..

which would ride better? or is there another lift that would ride even better than any of these choices? reason i care so much about the ride quality is because my jeep is a 2wd and will be staying that way until my transmission goes out....so whats your opinion, i dont want my jeep to ride like crap but i do want it to look awesome
Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l HO

If you get the RE lift get the super-ride, the rubber bushings help absorb alot of bumps and vibrations. OME lifts are supposed to be some of the best lifts as far as ride quality but they can be expensive. A BB would make much worse ride quality than a lift kit with new lower control arms because of the angle the stock lca's would be at. HTH
Old 04-08-2010, 12:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Save your money and gas and keep it stock until you can do it right. Do you really want it lifted? It does ruin the ride quality.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
ok guys, ive had alot of people i know tell me not to lift my jeep because it will absolutely destroy the ride. So heres my question, should i get a BB which would consist of a front spacer and a shackle/block in which i keep my stock suspension....OR a 3.5" RE lift with full packs/RC 3in full packs..

which would ride better? or is there another lift that would ride even better than any of these choices? reason i care so much about the ride quality is because my jeep is a 2wd and will be staying that way until my transmission goes out....so whats your opinion, i dont want my jeep to ride like crap but i do want it to look awesome
Of the choices you listed, the BB will ride the best. But if you want the best riding kit on the market in the 2-3" range, go with OME and get it through Dirk at DPG Offroad; http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/OMEXJkits.htm
Old 04-08-2010, 02:03 AM

I have a 95' 4X4 Sport, 3'' Rusty's coils up front and 2'' OME leafs in the rear, I don't feel any differance from stock.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

IMO do it right or don't do it. You'll get what you pay for.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Why lift a 2WD? These are Sport Utlility vehicles. Those I've spoken to who spend a bunch of $ and lift them and take them wheeling do it for Sport, and that's cool, but mine is stock and will stay that way. I use it as a Utlility vehicle, tow a utility trailer, to haul stuff around, get around in the snow, etc. So it depends on what you want to use it for. But most people I've talked to who lifted Jeeps but never really get to whell them much and have to drive them daily kind of regret doing it, because of all the $ they dumped into it for something they really don't use, and the poor gas mileage and ride quality they get as a result.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

mine rides fine. it was rough with a 2" budget kit but once i put larger tires on, it made a huge difference in making it smoother. my wife and i were just discussing it yesterday because we bought 31s and new rims and the ride is so nice now. i am going to have to get drop control arm mounts or longer control arms though because i am adding 3" to the front this weekend and already did the back.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by owellwhatever
Why lift a 2WD? These are Sport Utlility vehicles. Those I've spoken to who spend a bunch of $ and lift them and take them wheeling do it for Sport, and that's cool, but mine is stock and will stay that way. I use it as a Utlility vehicle, tow a utility trailer, to haul stuff around, get around in the snow, etc. So it depends on what you want to use it for. But most people I've talked to who lifted Jeeps but never really get to whell them much and have to drive them daily kind of regret doing it, because of all the $ they dumped into it for something they really don't use, and the poor gas mileage and ride quality they get as a result.
im gonna lift my 2wd because when my tranny goes then im gonna do the 4wd swap
Old 04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

i agree OME is some of the best ride quality you can get in a lift-OME is made my ARB
arbusa.com for the specs.

RE is one of the best lifts that money can buy as far as quality and customer service. I can not speak on the ride quality for experience.

Rusty's is a good cheap solution i run their products and have been happy. Their front coils are nice and soft and great off road. I have not had an issue.

Rough Country is not the route you want to take. Yes they are cheap and you get the whole package but i can speak from experience that it is the roughest ride i have ever been in.

So here is my .02 get the RE super-ride and you will not regret it.

Also, about the gas mileage thing, you will not notice a considerable drop in gas mileage on stock tires, IF you get bigger tires (which i would recommend since you are lifting and the rule of thumb is to go wide as you go tall) get your axles re-geared. 31's should be fine on it anything bigger i highly suggest it.

Tips on re gearing for bigger tires:
manual transmissions are numerically lower, autos are numerically higher. So if you have a manual and want to run 31's go get a used axle with 3.55 gears from an auto(if you have a dana 35 it would be a good time to get a chry 8.25 or other upgrade). If you have an auto i would go 4.10's.

stock manual vs auto re gearing:
M-3.07.....A-3.55
M-3.55.....A-4.10
M-4.10.....A-4.56
M.4.56.....A-4.88

I am all for lifting your jeep now! just do it right please =]
Old 04-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Year: 89

Originally Posted by Brad M.
Of the choices you listed, the BB will ride the best. But if you want the best riding kit on the market in the 2-3" range, go with OME and get it through Dirk at DPG Offroad; http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/OMEXJkits.htm
Old 04-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

that is where you can buy it at,
you can also buy it other places, but on the ARB website it lists all of the exact specs that makes up their lift and WHY it rides so soft.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by semperfi96
Care to explain this?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
im gonna lift my 2wd because when my tranny goes then im gonna do the 4wd swap
If that's the case, you'd probably save yourself a LOT of time, stress, and $ if you just sold your 2WD and bought a 4WD.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by owellwhatever
If that's the case, you'd probably save yourself a LOT of time, stress, and $ if you just sold your 2WD and bought a 4WD.
im only gonna do the swap when my tranny goes, so im gonna be doing part of it anyways so i figure i might as well

anyways, which would you get, the RE or the OME if price wasnt the deciding factor...and realize this jeep wont be wheeled much at all and when it is it wont be anything serious at all

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lift vs stock