Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Lift Kit Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lift Kit Opinions?

So I have recently been deciding what lift kit I wanted and was wondering if anyone could give me some help?? Im looking for a 3 inch lift that i can fit 31's on. I am on a budget of around 400 $ Here are some links of the ones i was looking at, Input please ??? Im new to this.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...FZKRHwodoh0IFQ
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-670x.html
Old 08-17-2015, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Let me just summarize most of this forum's opinion for you:

1) Rough Country sucks
2) Rubicon Express, Rusty's, or OME have the best components

But if you asked me, I'd say check out BDS. If you want budget, look at Zone.

AVOID add-a-leaf lift kits, like that Skyjacker one. You want full leaf pack replacements.

Last edited by thatXJguy; 08-17-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy

1) Rough Country sucks

AVOID add-a-leaf lift kits, like that Skyjacker one. You want full leaf pack replacements.
Thanks, I have heard bad about rough country as i have been reading on the forums. I bought my xj about a week ago and trying to budget a lift at about 400$ But thank you
Old 08-18-2015, 06:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Question: is $400 your entire budget for the lift, or just what you want to spend on a kit?
Old 08-18-2015, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

The best quality leafs/coils in a lift kit is the Rustys full leaf/coil/shock/hardware package ($438) all made in NA, not like those others most are made in China a few in Australia.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by thatXJguy

1) Rough Country sucks

Hell, ask zone seasoned members and well tell you BDS and zone happily. I'm running a Zone AAL and its not too bad with proper shocks and shackle lol. I can't wait to finish repairs cause next ill be doing either zone full leafs or RE
Old 08-18-2015, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by jay_sco
Question: is $400 your entire budget for the lift, or just what you want to spend on a kit?
It's what I would like to spend I could always save more , I have about 500$
Old 08-18-2015, 09:12 PM

I'm thinking of the above mentioned Rusty's for 438. Have heard nothing but good things.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Straydawg
I'm thinking of the above mentioned Rusty's for 438. Have heard nothing but good things.
The only thing is it doesn't have control arms in the kit could this be a problem??
Old 08-18-2015, 10:30 PM

Why do people say stay away from add a leaf what's so wrong with it I'm just curious
Old 08-18-2015, 10:50 PM

Year: 1991

Originally Posted by SwankyXJ
Why do people say stay away from add a leaf what's so wrong with it I'm just curious
Because your using old original leafs and adding more leafs to already worn leafs its ilogical and why its considered a budget lift kinda like using blocks. Your leaf springs will sag at a fast pace with aal so most guys regret it because they end up swapping for new full packs quick and realize they should have just done it right the first time and gone for the full leaf packs. Let's say you have a 3 inch leaf pack that you just bought and a year later you want more lift. Not such a bad idea to add leaves to a somewhat new leaf spring already but most people do aal with the original worn springs and thats a no no. Lift and cheap don't go together. Do it right or dont do it at all save yourself the headache. I also suggest some of you newer guys to do more research before lifting anything.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by studmuffin
Because your using old original leafs and adding more leafs to already worn leafs its ilogical and why its considered a budget lift kinda like using blocks. Your leaf springs will sag at a fast pace with aal so most guys regret it because they end up swapping for new full packs quick and realize they should have just done it right the first time and gone for the full leaf packs. Let's say you have a 3 inch leaf pack that you just bought and a year later you want more lift. Not such a bad idea to add leaves to a somewhat new leaf spring already but most people do aal with the original worn springs and thats a no no. Lift and cheap don't go together. Do it right or dont do it at all save yourself the headache. I also suggest some of you newer guys to do more research before lifting anything.
I just figured I would ask I have been doing some research and I also have one more question .. The rustys lift kit stated above doesn't have control arms say I bought that lift kit how long would I be able to drive without buying them I'm not trying to cheap out but if I buy the kit I will have to buy the control arms the following week
Old 08-18-2015, 11:41 PM

Year: 1991

3 inch lift you can slide by without control arms but it's recommend you change the lowers at least. Will something break? Probably not but your ride quality will suffer as well as flex. You can buy a set of lowers separate and put them on your lift. Some kits are not as complete just as many kits also do not come with a track bar which you will also need. Again it comes down to budget and what your willing to spend to lift your jeep right. I would just save and buy the kit that has everything you need it usually comes out cheaper that way than peacing out with different brands and such.

Last edited by studmuffin; 08-18-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Originally Posted by SwankyXJ
It's what I would like to spend I could always save more , I have about 500$
Save more. The general consensus here is that full leafs are the best, even the newest XJs are 14yrs old and the leafs sag some. In NY yours may be rusted and sagging more. You'll want new bushings, and have to take the pack apart for AAL anyway. Would be be beneficial both time wise and ride wise for full leafs. I used the stock LCA but had to get a new track bar. You'll need longer brake lines. May need a SYE (or the "bandaid" TC drop).
Rancho isn't too popular here for whatever reason. RC is split 50/50 love/hate. I went with Zone, many choose Rubicon Express kits.
If you want cheap there is the junk yard option (see thread in OEM section). If you want name brand on the cheap then piece everything together from the classifieds or CL.

Last edited by jay_sco; 08-19-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by jay_sco
Save more. The general consensus here is that full leafs are the best, even the newest XJs are 14yrs old and the leafs sag some. In NY yours may be rusted and sagging more. You'll want new bushings, and have to take the pack apart for AAL anyway. Would be be beneficial both time wise and ride wise for full leafs. I used the stock LCA but had to get a new track bar. You'll need longer brake lines. May need a SYE (or the "bandaid" TC drop).
Rancho isn't too popular here for whatever reason. RC is split 50/50 love/hate. I went with Zone, many choose Rubicon Express kits.
If you want cheap there is the junk yard option (see thread in OEM section). If you want name brand on the cheap then piece everything together from the classifieds or CL.
Im going to go with the rustys lift kit! Thank you tho! And I just bought the jeep recently 2 weeks ago and it came from PA absolutely 0 rocker rust and 0 frame rust and the shocks and leafs were just replaced two days before i bought it! im going with the full leaf tho thanks!

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Opinions?