Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Lift Install...

Hopefully in two weeks I'll be getting my lift-kit, but I just recently thought of something. I only have a two ton jack that can only reach high enough to lift at the differential, and I might not even fit in the garage after 4.5 inches of lift... so I've been thinking, could I even install a lift myself? As much as I HATE saying this, should I just have a shop install my lift? I already have a place I trust, they do really good work, and I've had hour-long "XJ's are awesome" discussions with the owner... but I really wanted to do it myself... I'm sure I'd at least be able to pop in and do some of the work.

And while I have a post up, anyone have any tips to (safely) get my jack a little higher? Is it safe to put it on top of a wooden block or something? Because I'm thinking that's probably a HUGE no...

Last edited by Evilpopcorn; 05-15-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

Do it yourself. ive put my jacks on concrete blocks before. ive used 2x4s nailed together and anything else you can thing of. but i always! always!! put the tires under the jeep in case it were to fall down once i start working on it.

ask around. im sure someone will have a good jack you can use.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Invest in a good floor jack and 2 sets of jack stands. It won't be the 1st time and certainly won' be the last time you'll have it off the ground to work on it. They are well worth the investment. We have 3 Xj's in the family. Did all 3 on the ground with stands. 2 of them got a 2nd lift because we went bigger. Why waste the money giving it to a shop when you could use it to buy tools, get the experience and then even possibly make money in the future installing someone elses lift?
Old 05-15-2011, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

I still use the ramps I made from some old 2x4's some 22 years ago. U will use a jack and jack stands again and again, look for a decent lift jack in the 3-5ton range, Buds suggestion of tires under while working is great, never rely on just the jack. You can block up your existing jack for more height, just make sure you have it on a stable base. Best of luck.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L. I6

I'm new to jeeps, just got my 1st one this month (2000 XJ), but have been working on cars and trucks for many years. I just cant stress enough the advise for using good jack stands. A big floor jack and a good set of jack stands are a must along with an assortment of timbers. Please do not use cinder blocks, they can crumble, Ive heard to many horror stories. An investment in good tools is alwas a good thing.

Good luck and be safe.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 99 sport
Engine: 4.0 i6

well lets see i just finished an RC 4.5 on Saturday.

besides the usual of jack stands and a good jack. here is some odd stuff I used.

1. ratchet straps (come in real handy when aligning the axels)
2. grease (good old wheel bearing grease, helps slide & keeps things quite)
3. a light (not very odd but helps when it gets dark and ur under it)
4. extra rear shock bolts
5. check all bolts twice

I started at 8:30 am and finished at around 9:45 pm.
the 1st half was by myself and the second had I had my neighbor Matt very thankful he helped me
It was great having an extra set of hands.

good luck and have fun.

Last edited by XJUSMC; 05-15-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have the jack and jack-stands, I was just concerned about whether not I can lift it up high enough, so putting the jack up on wooden blocks is ok? The stands reach up just fine, they don't need to be any higher than they are. And thanks everyone- been really helpful to me! So good knowing I will be able to do it myself, I still haven't been able to forgive myself for letting Abe's do my hood vents... I was too scared of messing up... so this won't have to be another regret!
I have this jack- https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/i-...ew-jack-86426/
I was so proud but no one replied...

Last edited by Evilpopcorn; 05-16-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 litre

When you put the jackstands down, put some plywood under them so you don't have 4 little marks in your driveway or garage. And probably go to harbor freight and get a little coil spring compressor.