Les Schwab says axel shifted

Old 12-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Les Schwab says axel shifted

Apparently the rear axel needs shifted because the thrust angle is negative to much. Is that something i can do, and is it even that big of deal. Im not super mechanical but im getting there and developing quite the arsenal of tools, but at far as alignment and thrust angles im a complete newb.

Also they suggest i replace my ball joints to offset to help with tire wear and bring the camber up. Im not sure if there shot or they were just suggesting to get a buck. They rushed me right out without really giving me any damn answers. Its snow tire season at my friendly schwab lol.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992

Originally Posted by 541_halseth
Apparently the rear axel needs shifted because the thrust angle is negative to much. Is that something i can do, and is it even that big of deal. Im not super mechanical but im getting there and developing quite the arsenal of tools, but at far as alignment and thrust angles im a complete newb.

Also they suggest i replace my ball joints to offset to help with tire wear and bring the camber up. Im not sure if there shot or they were just suggesting to get a buck. They rushed me right out without really giving me any damn answers. Its snow tire season at my friendly schwab lol.

Thanks
Well ive never had any problems with Les Schwab until the last two years! Les schwabs always been a good company and ive done what they say cause they were right.

but then i noticed prices were changing around - I bet you could do it yourself. just need to research it abit. axles arnt that hard to aline/angle. I used to work for Freightliner we could do two axles on one of those things in about 6hours with the right tools

Ive noticed they started pushing and trying to pressure you into buying things. especially when you dont need it. I was there just after i did my breaks, and they told me my breaks were at 45% i was like actually no, i replaced em yesterday. Ive had them tell my i needed new tires when i bought my set of tires from them like a month earlier. I went around to different LesSchwabs to get quotes on tires/rims for the same type of tires/rims i got quoted different prices, never the same. I also found out that most of the stuff that they dont carry on hand they end up ordering from TireRack.com and then mark up the prices. Dumb guy shouldnt have told me that. im ordering from them or discounttire from now on.

My advice get quotes and get a second opinion. i think they are pulling your trail pipe.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Back to negative thrust angle, could they be telling me to angle my rear axle up or positive thrust angle because my drive line is not level due to my 3'' lift. Wouldnt a transfer case drop do the same thing.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

thats got to be what they mean they just threw big words at you the drop should help
Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6

Sorry to jump in, but im 2wd and going 5 inches (ill have shackels for a better anlge) but sense i dont have a t case so should i be ok? The 2wd drive shaft is longer so i think it wont have a huge angle problem.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

It makes sense in my mind, got to talking with my dad and struck the topic and it clicked. I hope thats what they mean im reluctant to do it because how many people wheel there jeep that and have this problem, these things are pretty solid, and i barely wheel it to rough, not alot of much, or rocks in my neck of the woods, just snow and muddy service roads after a good rain.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Thrust angle is the direction in which your rear axle is pointing, in other words your jeep is dog walking. So negetive thrust angle means your axle is pointing towards the driver side of your rig
Old 12-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Hey ill trust you on that one, i was thinking on a up and down plane. So is that going to cause problems in the near future. and what would cause that. just hitting bumps?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

if you're only run 3" of lift... I'd look at shims before a transfer case drop...
Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

So i got my tires aligned today, and they said if i had the work done, they would realign them again for free, but does it really need realigned.
If i was do it myself what all would it take, just loosen the axel and shift it. I have a overhead lift at the golf course i might be able tackle this with. Is it easy and has anyone done it?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 PM

It would take a significant force to throw it off, maybe check your centering pins, if your shackles are bent, even a bent or worn out leaf spring. It's bad to keep it like that you'll wear your tires out quicker than normal
Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 PM

Your steering will be off if you fix it
Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by DPoffroad
Your steering will be off if you fix it
Old 12-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Alright then, haha i need to learn to align now. No i will just head back to schwabs in the morning to set up a time, Thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Seasoned Member

But as far as the ball joints go, are our oem's offset or are they saying i need new ones. And the tires dont seem like they are wearing uneven according the tread depth, maybe im wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Les Schwab says axel shifted