Leaving south dakota

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Leaving south dakota

Well I leave for basic trainning or as its called osut for me monday march 7th for infantry school in ft.benning georgia and have a good chance of that being my home base. after basic i get to come home for 2weeks and can then opt for recruters assistance for another 2 weeks. we will be taking my xj and her cobra any pointers for basic and moving with 2 cars and not to much stuff????
Old 03-01-2011, 01:46 PM
ck1
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

my two sons are in and just finished AIT. my oldest is married and is now at fort hood, youngest is at Fort Drum (brrrrr)...the army will pay you by the weight so you will have the option of having a private carrier come and get your stuff (car is not included unless e5 and above) or do the Uhaul route inwhich you will get reimbursed for the weight of your stuff (along with one car) just weight the thing empty and then load that thing up and get it weigh heavy...my oldest made about 900 over what his expenses where. that also paid for his labor of packing and moving. good luck Army has been good so far for my son's boot sucks but after that it is a job..pm me if you want to know anything else
cameron
Old 03-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Went thru basic a year ago this month. I went to Jackson which is a lot easier than benning but I guess some of the same things apply. Your gonna get smoked no matter what you do even if its right. It's designed that way so don't take it personal when sumone else is always getting u in trouble. When u get towards blue phase an your platoon is doing a lot on its own remember this. If you don't know what your supposed to do just make sure everyone is doing the same thing. Your not wrong if everyone is right. Umm let's see the absolute worst part of it is not being able to call home or talk to anybody. But weeks pass like days cuz you won't even remember what day it is till Sunday comes around. Then Ull be on personal time all morning for religious services. Sleep! God knows ur still down lol. Food sucks but u get used to it. Hurry up an wait will become your life. You'll come to hate the words battle buddy an half right face lol. If u get a drill sergeant that likes to go thru long smoke sessions member to pace yourself. Your already being punished so its not gonna make a lot of diff. An the good ds will focus on one area ie your legs or arms an work them till you can't move that part.Then you'll go to the next area lol. My platoon was full of idiots an our ds would get tired of smoking us so they would call in others for fresh ideas lol. I'll post some more tonight when I get home or pm ne with any specific questions. Take the two weeks home recruiting unless your just in a real hurry to get where your going. An don't let the yelling get to you. I have several of my drill sergeants on my Facebook now an they are cool people they were just doing their job. Anyways pm me if ya need more help