Leaving for college

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 l6
Default Leaving for college

I'm going to VMI and im almost positive my mom won't take care of it like it should be. It might get 10 miles a month at most... How can I take care of it for the long haul without being home.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Originally Posted by nicknowsu
I'm going to VMI and im almost positive my mom won't take care of it like it should be. It might get 10 miles a month at most... How can I take care of it for the long haul without being home.
Put fuel stabilizer in the tank, Stabil is what i use.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:51 PM

That's it?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

I usually disconnect the battery also.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

if you cant park it indoors, put a cover on it her and air up the tires, unhook the battery and use that stabil stuff
Old 06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

fill the gas tank up to full as you can and then put fuel stabilizer in it. Should be good for about a year then... should be..... disconnect the battery and make sure everything is up to where it should be.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 AM

Engine: 4.0 inline 6 cyl.

I park trucks for long periods of time. Here's what i do and why.

Add the Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer and drive it just enough to get it circulated through all the fuel lines. That way, ALL the fuel throughout the system is treated.

Park it with a full tank. That way, you won't get condensation (water in the fuel) from the empty space in the tank.

If you park it outside, cover it up. Don't forget to cover the tires, too. The sun can be really hard on exposed tires that aren't used regularly.

My Dad likes to jack his parked trucks up and put them on blocks so that there isn't any weight on the tires. He feels that it's easier on them and if a tire does get too low, the bead will most likely stay intact and the tire won't be damaged. With the bead intact, he can simply air the tire back up.

DIsconnect the battery.

Make SURE there isn't anything inside that mice might want to eat.

My Dad also likes to wax it really good for a little added protection and so that dust comes off easier. I don't do that, though.

You can buy battery maintaining charging systems that keep the battery in good shape so that you're sure it'll start when you get back to it, too.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

Im in the same situation. But i decided that i HAD to take it with me cause there was no way i was just going to leave it
Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddletrucker
I park trucks for long periods of time. Here's what i do and why.

Add the Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer and drive it just enough to get it circulated through all the fuel lines. That way, ALL the fuel throughout the system is treated.

Park it with a full tank. That way, you won't get condensation (water in the fuel) from the empty space in the tank.

If you park it outside, cover it up. Don't forget to cover the tires, too. The sun can be really hard on exposed tires that aren't used regularly.

My Dad likes to jack his parked trucks up and put them on blocks so that there isn't any weight on the tires. He feels that it's easier on them and if a tire does get too low, the bead will most likely stay intact and the tire won't be damaged. With the bead intact, he can simply air the tire back up.

DIsconnect the battery.

Make SURE there isn't anything inside that mice might want to eat.

My Dad also likes to wax it really good for a little added protection and so that dust comes off easier. I don't do that, though.

You can buy battery maintaining charging systems that keep the battery in good shape so that you're sure it'll start when you get back to it, too.
We have a winner! This is exactly what you should do if it's not going with you.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by capndoodles
Im in the same situation. But i decided that i HAD to take it with me cause there was no way i was just going to leave it
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Capndoodles I'm going to VMI only 1st classmen get to have a vehicle.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:51 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

Ohhh right well that kinda sucks. But at least you get to keep it and know it's in good hands instead of having to sell it!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 AM

Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI

I HAVE A GREAT IDEA. YOU CAN LEND ME UR XJ TILL U GET BACK FROM COLLEGE AND I'LL MAINTAIN IT. ALL OF IT'S NECESSARY MUDDINGS AND WHEELING.

transmitted to Cherokee Forum using my Telekinetic abilities!!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by hal93
I HAVE A GREAT IDEA. YOU CAN LEND ME UR XJ TILL U GET BACK FROM COLLEGE AND I'LL MAINTAIN IT. ALL OF IT'S NECESSARY MUDDINGS AND WHEELING.

transmitted to Cherokee Forum using my Telekinetic abilities!!
lmao
Old 07-01-2011, 12:55 PM

I would gladly lend it to someone but im keeping it in my moms name until i commission.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Good luck at VMI! My bro in law went but didn't stay. Its tough but theyve got a good education. He said he didn't like the person he was turning into their, but he's not really a military guy. If you get a chance, there's some really good hiking in that area!

Quick Reply: Leaving for college