Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

kicker cvr smells a little.....help??!!??!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default kicker cvr smells a little.....help??!!??!?

(sorry for the long *** description i appreciate those who actually read it and respond)

me nd my buddy accidentally wired one of my 2ohm subs...wrong. nd had the gain nd boost up a little too much on the kicker 750.1 amp...little more than halfway.. -__- LONG STORY SHORT (read below for details nd my experience w what happened) left sub flexing more than right...SMELLED SOME BURNING (total mabe 15-20 mins), SAW SOME SMOKE ((idk how long...but not too much coming out the port, almost culdnt see it)), the sub was very hot, the other was cool. HOW BAD DO YOU THINK THE SUB IS??? the coils

so, at first i realized my left sub was flexing more than the right...okay, i thought maybe it is more broken in?? w.e. later, started smellin funny after playing some good dubstep. hard. thought it was the amp getting a lil hot ontop of the box. so i took it easy on the subs and it went away (the smell)

later laterr on, started cranking dubstep again, put the bass on 6 (yeah ik...), bass boost on the amp at 5/8th power...and the smell is back... btw it ddnt smell when i played hardcore **** like adtr... i tried smellin around more nd was weirded out by the fact that the smell wasnt really coming from the amp so i stuck my nose near the box port, and smelled it more and then..

..saw some smoke coming out.... FML!!!

first thoughts was it overheated a little bit, nd also heated up the stuffing filled inside the box. so, i took the left sub out, and omfg...the magnet was hotttt to the touch, like burn yourself hott. and my buddy took a look at the wiring nd said we ****ed up...so we rewired it. put the sub back in. turned on the car. nd now the amp is on protect... well alrighty then.

anyways, the sub still moved in and out fine at the time. but now that its cooled down, idk how it will be. ill have to find out in the morning. im really hoping i ddnt do too much damage to the coils, i really dont have the money to replace it anytime soon. sucks.

what do you guys think???
Old 08-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 i6
Exclamation

The coil is not going to fix itself, it's over for it and don't think about playing it till it goes out completely because it can burn your channel on your amp. It's toasted
Old 08-20-2011, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

damn...even if it wasnt burnt thattt badd i still shuldnt play it cuz itl just get worse and eventually fkk up my amp?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by bwb0440
damn...even if it wasnt burnt thattt badd i still shuldnt play it cuz itl just get worse and eventually fkk up my amp?

Yup, the coil inside is shorting out every time it flexes and it's burning as this happens.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

How do you have them connected? is it bridged or in series?and how did you "*** up" in the wiring?Is your amp bridgable?If not then you need to connect it in series which you connect the positive of the amp to the postive of one speaker and the negative of the amp to the other speaker and connect the two speakers from the remaining positive and negative terminals just 3 wires

Last edited by 99FreshenedCherokee; 08-20-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Seasoned Member

It does not matter anymore how he connects it, the coil is gone.