Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 200 & 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Just thinking about my XJ

Hey Folks,

I just joined the forum last week. It's better than every other forum I've been on although it's my first jeep forum. The traffic here is fantastic. Thanks!

Anyway, I've owned a grey xj for almost 3 years now and I like it so much I decided to buy another. It's a clean blue limited and thats why I joined the forum.....to look into lifting it. After pouring over these pages for the past week I've got alot of great ideas. Unfortunately my original idea was to lift the new one and sell the old one but now I think I'd like lift the old jeep and just drive the new one.

I'm not 100% sold on this idea so I'm going to need some help from you all. Lol. Talk me into this!

What I'd like to do for starters is strip most of the interior, remove the flares and bumber ends and then fix the rust. I'm not too worried on how it will look but I want it to be solid. I've never really done any body work before but I can weld ok and my dad is a mechanic and has his own garage so that'll help.

After that it'll need to be lifted. I'm thinking 4" and cut the fenders quite a bit. I want it to look tough! Then I want to put some narrower 33's on there and run it till it breaks.

So here's a picture of the xj. It doesn't run bad and other than rockers and door bottoms it's not too rusty. Underneath is decent too. Any ideas or inspiration?. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by JeepFreeze; 02-01-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Sounds like you have everything pretty much planned out. I suggest reinforcing the unibody rails, front and rear bumpers, and a spare tire. Thats all i can think of right now. oh yeah, and better axles.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

find out which axles you got before changing them.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:02 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

years of both xj's...pics of blue one...
Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

off road bumpers, lockers maybe
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Welcome. Well you have to go off of your own taste but I would say lift,tires, bumpers, a little body work (you your taste) and just go from there.Is this one a DD?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:43 PM

Ok, I'm back. I had the stomach flu so bad I couldn't even surf the web!

The old xj is a 2000 and the new one is an '01. Here is a pic.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the input so far.

I guess what I'm thinking I'd like to do is replace the rusty rockers with 2x4 tubing first. Thickness? I did a search here and found info on it but no really good write ups. Does anyone know of any good info out there? I'm not really sure how to attach them to the "frame"

How tough is it to find better axles for these things? I want to run 33"s so I want them to be up to the task. I am on somewhat of a budget. Is there alot of fab involved with the swap? I haven't searched this yet so sorry if the info is right under my nose.

I KNOW there is ALOT of info here on tire size vs lift but whats the minumum I can get by for 33"s? I plan on removing my flares and cutting the wheel wells. I do want this rig to be somewhat street legal. I wont drive it every day...just occasionally to trails. It seems like the lift may be the most expensive part of the project. What would a good setup be? ZJ or F150 spings up front? Can I add spacers to those springs to get the amount of lift I need? How about the rear.......Bastard packs and shackles? I think I'll probably need about 5" all the way around for the tires I want. Will the setup above flex enough or should I bite the bullet and buy a good 5" lift kit?

The rear diff looks like an 8.25 and the front looks like a D30.

Thanks alot everyone!

Last edited by JeepFreeze; 02-05-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added diff info
Old 02-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

just buy a complete lift kit with everything you need spring packs, shocks, coils, brake line extensions, t-case drop, etc...
Old 02-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Those axles are fine with 33's. If you lock em up, you will be pushing the envelope, but should be ok from what I have READ.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 High Outout I6

Originally Posted by JeepFreeze
Thanks for the input so far.

I guess what I'm thinking I'd like to do is replace the rusty rockers with 2x4 tubing first. Thickness? I did a search here and found info on it but no really good write ups. Does anyone know of any good info out there? I'm not really sure how to attach them to the "frame"

How tough is it to find better axles for these things? I want to run 33"s so I want them to be up to the task. I am on somewhat of a budget. Is there alot of fab involved with the swap? I haven't searched this yet so sorry if the info is right under my nose.

I KNOW there is ALOT of info here on tire size vs lift but whats the minumum I can get by for 33"s? I plan on removing my flares and cutting the wheel wells. I do want this rig to be somewhat street legal. I wont drive it every day...just occasionally to trails. It seems like the lift may be the most expensive part of the project. What would a good setup be? ZJ or F150 spings up front? Can I add spacers to those springs to get the amount of lift I need? How about the rear.......Bastard packs and shackles? I think I'll probably need about 5" all the way around for the tires I want. Will the setup above flex enough or should I bite the bullet and buy a good 5" lift kit?

The rear diff looks like an 8.25 and the front looks like a D30.

Thanks alot everyone!
I believe ktmracer419 has a write up on the rockers... i found this link that has his write up lower on the page
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/ro...sliders-34626/
and regarding your axles you should have the 8.25 29 spline which is a good enough axle for 33s wouldnt hurt to carry extra shafts with you tho but i believe the front is a low pinion d30 in those im not 100% on that but im pretty sure lol you would definatly wanna look into an sye and maybe even a different axle for the front end because you DS angles will be no bueno lol also i would highly recommend a locker itll make a huge difference
thats just my .02