Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just bought a jeep wont start pulled viper alarm

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Just bought a jeep wont start pulled viper alarm

Ok I just got an 88cherokee xj. The previous owner wired up a toggle to start the jeep. You had to turn the key then flick a switch then hit a button to start. So I ripped all that out ripped the viper alarm out. Im trying to get it to start. I have a new column and a new key for it but haven't installed it yet. Sooo I start at the source. The starter solenoid has about 6 wires hooked to the battery terminal of the relay. Look down left side is the ground wirethen to the right bottom wire gets 4.5 volts when the key is on the upper right side wire same 4.5 volts and the middle green nothing. I pulled the middle green wire that goes to the solenoid turned the key on jumped the wire and the jeep started just fine.
So if someone can help me. What exactly happens to the relay when the key is cycled to start. What are the volts suppose to be. And what wire from the inside cab actual sends signal to the relay to start.
also anyone have wiring diagrams.

After I figure out the start issue I have no brake light and no turn signals. I haven't checked the fuses yet.

Ps im doing a 4.5 inch lift soon using coils from a 954 cougar and a bastard pack from am s10 blazer:-)
Old 06-29-2011, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Start with the basics....
Starter has a solenoid, small wire from there goes to the relay on the inner fender, that relay has an plug on it, you should be able to apply 12v to it and kick in the starter, the wire from that relay goes to the neutral safety switch or a Clutch safety switch, from that switch it should go to the column wires.
Hope that is clearer than mud.