Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 PM
rwp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Just bought a 96 XJ - Pics Added

I bought a 96 Cherokee this evening and am anxious to sort it out. Definitely not a pristine example, but should be fun. As with others, I will no doubt be asking opinions. I'm 67 and have had a 92 Wrangler and 96 Trooper so not totally new to 4wd, but they were new and worked well.

The specs:

1996 Classic, blue, decent on the sides, a "patina" of something on the roof and hood. No dents or sign of any accident damage. Might clean up OK. Originally a Tennessee vehicle, no rust at all.

4 door, automatic, 4wd. Half worn Goodyear Wranglers on basket weave wheels with a new, matching full size spare.

172,000 miles. Runs fine in 2wd and 4H. Did not test other modes.

Interior intact but needs cleaning. Overhead console and rear sound bar.

Tube brush guard over stock bumper, with Ramsey REP6000 electric winch. Seems to be properly installed with robust power disconnect, roller fairleads, and remote cable. Brush guard has surface rust, will be removed and repainted.

Recent work includes radiator hoses, flush, thermostat and housing; battery;front brakes; and front driveshaft joints.

The immediate needs..... crack in windshield, does not obscure view, but will need to be replaced; "BRAKE" light on and low pedal, guessing a master cylinder. Broken taillight lens, missing turn signal lens; Rear armrests have broken loose from doors; screws are still intact but plastic arm rests have worn. Should be easy to replace. Lid to console - screws have pulled out and it's off. Looks like a bit of expoxy and drill new holes.

The bottom line.....$1,600. I think it was a good buy. Lots of minor things, but fundamentally sound.

Added photos tonight. The crud on the hood and roof cleaned up with a bath of Simple Green and water and scrubbing. Will be nice when cleaned and waxed. First shot shows some of the hood scum. Rest give an idea of the vehicle. Would appreciate any guesses as to the ID of the brush guard/winch mount. It is bolted to the frame, not the bumper.

I'm wondering if I might have the "Up Country" package or towing package. Jeep sits a bit higher than my experience. Anyway, just wanted it to be clean enough to take in to shop.

Any comments are welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 96 XJ - pics later-dscn3084.jpg   Just bought a 96 XJ - pics later-dscn3087.jpg   Just bought a 96 XJ - pics later-dscn3091.jpg   Just bought a 96 XJ - pics later-dscn3093.jpg   Just bought a 96 XJ - pics later-dscn3094.jpg  

Last edited by rwp; 08-07-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by rwp
Originally a Tennessee vehicle, no rust at all.
Excellent. You done good! Rest is fine lol

Originally Posted by rwp
Tube brush guard over stock bumper, with electric winch.
Careful of this. XJ bumpers are not like old Jeeps... They're 19 gauge sheet metal. Unless it's a 100 lb winch that's going to rip the bumper off and hurt someone. The only brush guard system I'm familiar with that accepts a winch is made by Warn, and on careful inspection you'd see that it's not secured to the bumper at all.

Sounds like fun!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:10 PM
rwp

Thanks for the heads-up on the winch. I bought it yesterday afternoon, had to take wife to dinner (to atone), and it was dark when we got home. After work today, it's getting an initial wash to see what shape the paint is in, then off to shop to fix brake issue.

After those first steps, will change engine oil, trans, transfer case, and diff lube. Seller is third owner, from Maryville TN. First two owners were known to his family and car was originally sold by a local dealer. My sense is that it has been used but not beaten on.

Pics tonight hopefully.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:56 PM
rwp

Pics added to original post
Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Nice. The interior looks pretty serviceable.

What was all this about the hood?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:13 PM
rwp

The hood and roof were initially really bad, dirty and crusty. I scrubbed with Simple Green and elbow grease and discovered it was a combination of dirt, tree sap, general city air crud. I thought it would clean up but was very surprised to find the paint will polish up nicely. Sometimes you get lucky.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:53 AM
rwp

Just got the build sheet from Chrysler (requested last night, received this morning!). Looks like I got a fully loaded Country with tow package and Up-Country suspension kit.

Appears to be equipped with keyless entry, but I didn't get a key fob. Is there a source for these replacements; I'm assuming dealer price is significant.

According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:

Code Description
R7 Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
ADAP Light Group
ADLP Skid Plate Group
AHT Trailer Tow Group
APCP Center Band Two Tone Paint
ARXP Country Decor Group
AWE Up Country Suspension Group
AWH Power Equipment Group
BAUS 117 Amp Alternator
BCDS 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGAS Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
CACP Low Back Bucket Seats
CBZP Prem Vinyl Door Trim w/Map Pocket
CDBP Reclining Front Seats
CFMS Rear Fold w/Removable Cushion Seat
CGTS Driver Air Bag Only
CKAS Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CKXS Plastic Liftgate Trim Panel
CLEP Front & Rear Floor Mats
CSAP Spare Tire Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CUFP Full Length Floor Console
CUN Overhead Console
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGSS 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHP Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System
DHSS Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
DJHS Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRMP Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
DSAP Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEDS Tinted Rr Drs/Qtr/Liftgate Glass
GEHS Fixed Door Vent Glass
GFA Rear Window Defroster
GNCP Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GRZP Left Remote Mirror
GSZP Right Remote Control Mirror
GTZP Power Mirrors, Fold-Away
GVAC All Vehicles W/O Power Mirrors
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGDP Deluxe Insulation Group
JAYP Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JBGP Instrument Panel Woodgrain Bezel
JCAS 85 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBP Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JPAP Power Windows
JPBP Power Locks
LAJS Headlamps On Warning Chimes
LBBP Courtesy Lamps
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LDAP Underhood Lamp
LDBP Cargo Compartment Lamp
LHDP Headlamp Off Time Delay
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
MBUP Argent/Dark Argent Front Bumper
MBZP Argent/Dark Argent Rear Bumper
MCAP Front Bumper Guards
MFKP Body Color Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MMCS Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
MMGS Belt Moldings
MMKS Body Color Drip Trough Molding
MNAS Black Door Handles
MUKS Silver/Chrome Badging
MWGP Roof Rack
NAA Federal Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NFAS 20 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
NHMP Speed Control
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
PCJ Dark Blue
QS7P Dark Silver Metallic Clear Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAFP AM/FM Cassette Radio
RCDP 4 Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Steering
SCGP Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDUP Heavy Duty Suspension w/Gas Shocks
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBBP Full Size Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TRNP P225/75R15 OWL Wrangler AT Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WJGP 15" Aluminum Wheels
WKB Matching Spare Wheel
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
XEAP Tow Hooks
XEEP Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
XEFP Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
XEUP Front Suspension Skid Plate
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Last edited by rwp; 08-08-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Greetings from another of your age group turn 67 next month.

Nice XJ for the money for sure and not bad mileage either my 99 had 230k on it but these 4.0 were vg engine's. It cleaned up very nice for sure looks like it ready to go there anyway or would be for me.

You didn't state your use of the Jeep or intended upgrades you had planned for it a DD, combo, mostly trail use some on road might give us a few ideas for you to help you along with your XJ. My XJ isn't a DD but do drive it to town and on the highways often and does have good road manners with excellent off road abilities in all terrain including snow.

The "Keyless Entry" I didn't know I had it either till I got the build sheet. Made a mistake and went to the "StealerShip" and bought the fob and had the programming done they will need to do it. But you can buy the fob for a 1/3 the price on eBay a Jeep one to boot just check to make sure it the right year.

Your front bumper does need to be replaced with an after market one if you plan to use the winch much at all. The one other weak point on your XJ is the rear differential the D35 that came in it if you plan on doing much off roading. The HD rear that came in yours and mine is a Chry 8.25 with 29 spline axles I think 96 and up came with it. The D35 came with the ABS which most remove anyway for off road and not on the Chry 8.25's the earlier 8.25 came with 27 spline axles. The D35 and 8.25 are a direct swap and easy to find in most any SY FYI.

Here is a more recent photo and my paint sounds like yours when you got it, mine sees lots of brush, trees, rocks so dents and scrapes in some places

Name:  Jeep3-29-14026_zpsb3d98b62.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  77.1 KB
Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 AM
rwp

Spent yesterday picking up bits and pieces for the Cherokee, rear arm rests (originals were broken off, they're a bit fragile), marker light lens, carpet shampoo...... and crawling around and under to learn a bit and see how much of the original vehicles was still there. Took it to a local automatic car wash that offers undercarriage wash, so got a layer of dirt and grease off the bottom.

A few discoveries:
  • The brush guard/winch holder is in fact mounted to the bumper mounts not to the bumper. I've been trying to identify it. It looks very much like a Warn Trans4mer, but maybe an older model. The Warn unit has a bar at the front of the guard above the winch. Mine does have holes for it, but looks to have never been so equipped. The only marking is a stenciled number on the bracket "112-426". In any case it's frame mounted and appears solid. I will disassemble it in due time and repaint.
  • The winch is a Ramsey REP 6000 with a roller fairlead and corded remote. I need to learn a bit about them and do a good cleanup and maintenance.
  • The UpCountry front suspension, transfer case, and fuel tank skid plates are intact and undamaged. The shocks appear to be the original gas shocks for this package and are still very effective.
  • Still confounded by soft brake pedal. I checked the calipers in hopes they were upside down, but no luck. Will go to a good local shop tomorrow to get resolved.
So, all in all, I'm very pleased with my new Jeep. It's needed a major amount of cleaning, the easy part, and a few issues resolved. I will now shift over to the "What did you do to your Cherokee today?" thread.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Cool! That's a nice touch on the mounting.