Jeep quit running and will not start back up

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeep quit running and will not start back up

When my wife came home tonight, she asked me to come parrallel park the Cherokee. (2001 4x4) She left it running and just as I walked up to get in, it died. Now it will not start. Pretty vague huh. Well, I need to know where to get started looking. Some past issues are a rough idle- I replaced the crank shaft position sensor, crank position sensor, coil rail pack, spark plugs, and Sea Foam. (2 months ago). There was an immediate impovement in the idle, but then it gradually went back to having a rough idle when we first start it, until it evens out. At this time I also replaced the tranny filter and fluid. So I wonder if it could be somehting with that. Also for as long as I have owned it (6 years) and my personal 1999 2WD Jeep Cherokee (7 years), they have both been a two key turn start wonder. They rarely start on the first turn, and almost always on the 2nd. Occasionally a 3rd is required. Any help I can get to start tracking the problem would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Sounds like a fuelnissue on both if you have to turn the key twice
Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 AM

First thing I would do is check for fuel at the pressure test fitting on the fuel rail. Just push the valve in with a screw driver or something. Make sure you do this after you have cycled the key a couple times to make sure fuel will be in the rail if operating correctly. Report back with your findings.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:31 PM

I'm going to check it out. I had to resituate the jeep in the parking spot this morning while I was turning the key so I could turn the wheels it decided to start. I quickly parked it, but there was a wierd sound coming from the front right. I got out and checked the noise, and it sounded like it was coming from the alternator.??? Another thing I noticed different between last night and this morning was last night the oil pressure guage did not move as I tried starting it. This morning the pressure gauge had a reading as I was trying to start it. I am going to run a scanner to check the engine light, Which has had random miss fire codes pulled almost everytime it is on, and it is on alot. See my first post for what I did to attempt to correct it a couple months ago. I will still check the fuel line, but dought it will be the issue. Like I said before, both our Cherokees have started with two turns of the key since we've had them. Any help is appreciated. I hope this will help us track the problem. Thank you.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM

Well, the thing is starting. It seems to be back to what has become normal with the rough idle at startup. I pulled the codes and it came up with the same misfire codes it always has, including the random misfire code. It's got fuel. What else do I need to check?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: i6

Idle control sensor had a similar problem were it wouldn't start but I let it sit for a while and it started up and then the chk engine light came on
Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by jimmyrohde
Well, the thing is starting. It seems to be back to what has become normal with the rough idle at startup. I pulled the codes and it came up with the same misfire codes it always has, including the random misfire code. It's got fuel. What else do I need to check?
Could be a lot of things...o2 sensors, lean stfd, bad grounds, bad injectors or clogged injectors, fuel pump not priming or going out, fuel filter clogged...