Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default jeep is a money sucker

I am a bit down with the jeep for the last few weeks. I am getting tired of putting money into fixing crap and not building it. I can honestly say that I will never lift another dd. I love the way it looks and the clearence when I do get off road but I am so tired of trying to correct all the steering and suspension crap that I almost wish I hadn't done it. All that and I still need brake line extensions and a few other small things to complete the lift. Why the hell do we all keep doing this stuff???????
I am going to have to get a 2nd job just to pay for everything.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6

Cause its a Jeep thing, no one understands.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Not even the jeepers...
Old 11-27-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

i cant wait to retire my jeep from DD status
Old 11-27-2010, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

well, not to insult your knowledge, but have you ever had a 4x4 shop look at it and see if maybe you're doing something wrong?
my xj is my dd and i wheel it like it owes me money. only thing i do to it is get the tires re-balanced. i beat the heck out of the wheels every time i go offroad.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:15 PM

Year: 2000

I look at it as a car payment with benefits...
Old 11-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Tural
well, not to insult your knowledge, but have you ever had a 4x4 shop look at it and see if maybe you're doing something wrong?
my xj is my dd and i wheel it like it owes me money. only thing i do to it is get the tires re-balanced. i beat the heck out of the wheels every time i go offroad.
It doesn't insult me at all...and no I haven't been to the shop yet. I don't really want to spend money till I have done the things that I know need to be done. I haven't had the lift long and am learning that I should have set extra money aside for the unforseen.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by phsycho
It doesn't insult me at all...and no I haven't been to the shop yet. I don't really want to spend money till I have done the things that I know need to be done. I haven't had the lift long and am learning that I should have set extra money aside for the unforseen.
well, that's rule #1 bro. so, your jeep is not a money sucker. it's just not complete yet. welcome to the club have a donut
Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member

well, that's rule #1 bro. so, your jeep is not a money sucker. it's just not complete yet. welcome to the club have a donut
yeah thanks.....nothing like a slow learner huh? dur..where I come from there is no short buss.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

I know what u mean man. I've had my xj for 6 years and am always fixing something. Befor this I've had a string of cj's and a 91 xj. They all needed something on a regular basis. But, not one of them ever left me stranded. They have by far been the most rewarding vehicles I could think of. I love to explore, camp, wheel, and a slew of other activities that the jeep is more than suited for. Try heading up to jay peak in a rustang in the middle of winter, in a blizzard, sleep in the back, wake up to 2 feet of fresh powder fire up to drive into town for some breakfast before any plowing, drive halfway up the mountain to the lodge and make first run in any other vehicle. I think not.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Seasoned Member

by the way, is there such a thing as a completed jeep??? I am starting wonder.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

well yeah. of course there is. they tell me they've seen one up on the mountains. elder wheelers talk about it. it comes when you're stranded and lost all hope, and it helps you out. they say it has a halo for roof-lights.

good campfire story, ain't it?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member

well yeah. of course there is. they tell me they've seen one up on the mountains. elder wheelers talk about it. it comes when you're stranded and lost all hope, and it helps you out. they say it has a halo for roof-lights.
lmao I'll tell that to the kids one of these days when we're out camping.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Well with all do respect bud, Every one knows that when you get an XJ and you want to built it up its gana mean lots of money. Am 17, i have an xj and its in the shop right now gettin worked on becuase the engine was out of time. Timing chain sliped, And i dont even have a job yet, i have been lookin for one for the past 2 months. and my plans for my xj are so big, that i dont know where ama get the money for it. but i dont freak out about it, i take it easy becuase i told me self when i first bought it, that it was going to be a pain and a lots of money to get it to look like i want it to, Right now its bone stock, and once i get it running it still needs some work just to get it out on the street. and i only get paid like $100 every month for cleaning a pool for my dad, and it gets really annoying really fast, and thats not enough, so i save it up, but heyy i deal with it.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI

by the way, is there such a thing as a completed jeep??? I am starting wonder.
A jeep is as complete as you want it to be.

Mine is completely stock so I personally don't think its anywhere near completion.

However, my friends look at me like I'm stupid when I tell them I want to put $3,000 worth of accessories and things on it because to them, it is complete.

I don't think anyone could call one complete unless it runs but if you just get it to a working state and leave it there, it could be considered complete I guess.

Quick Reply: jeep is a money sucker