Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

The Jeep Dilemma!!!!!! 2.5?2.7?or 170k??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default The Jeep Dilemma!!!!!! 2.5?2.7?or 170k??

Hey guys! so Here's my problem. me and my dad kinda co-own a 1996 XJ with about 105k miles on it.We live in Namibia(google it), Africa! come visit we have dunes! So, anyways. someone ran over a red light and T-boned us on the left(driver's for me, passenger's for you) side, and now it might get Totalled by insurance because parts are so expensive here and they will only repair it if the repair costs are under 70% of the cars insured value, which is about US$ 7000. we can let them total it since we have the option of buying on of the three following jeeps, first, a 1996 ZJ, Laredo, with 170k miles on it. its not in such a great condition, then again, which Jeep is when you buy it. its a I6 4litre what are some of the common problems at this mileage? It feels a bit high?? and the guy wants about 7.5k US. we will get it for less than half of that though since insurance will pay us for ours if they total it.
Jeep #2 this one is a 1998 XJ sport 2.5 Diesel. 56k miles, very nice condition. guy wants a whopping US$11000! so i dont know if itll be woth it? will it? are these 2.5 diesel strokers nice? Jeep #3 this one is a 2003 Grand, 2.7 diesel. full house, dont now about the condition so much we havent gotten a chance to go see it ''its in the shop for repairs'' something cracked, guy doesnt know what it is to tell us, but they want the same price as Jeep #2, and about 91k miles? What are some of the common problems of the diesels?? and do the I6es start having problems when their mileage gets high??please help since we need to get a move on wth insurance they want to know what we want to do.

We could also fix ours if some fellow cherokee'er would help me ship the parts over here. It really isnt that damaged, the parts are just ridiculous here. no spares shops carry parts for old jeeps here so only dealer prices!

Awaiting your replies!

Renaldo.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Id go with the ZJ... easier to maintain, and the 4.0 will do 300k+ if you take care of it.
Im not sure about zj transmissions though, never had one.