Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep cherokee Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep cherokee Story

My jeep story, I had a over weight friend of a friend who never rode in a jeep. I agreed to take her off roading all 450 pounds of her in the front passenger seat. Dirt roads and donuts Right? Well what turned out to be innocent fun.

Striped out my passenger seat.
Blew both shocks on her side.
The suspension crushed both tranny lines shooting fluid every were.
On the drive home I lost my torque converter.

My brake pads had to be redone the next week And the bajo bolt snaped. The caliper was replaced too.Plus A hole new brake line.
All the brake complications lead to me driving the cherokee 7000+ miles on the E brake...Ya I can Drift that sucker into a compact parking space now.
My ball joint and steering stabalizer have so much play Brakecheck quoted me 600$ I am all over the road like a drunk!
I had to replace the passenger side rotor 30,000 miles early.

The tires pushed so hard into my wheel-weel I had to bend metal to swing that passenger door freely.

I have learned what the joy of owning my cherokee is. Its not worrying that the strait 6 is gonna blow and when that tranny will give out.

Its driving it into the San Marcos river and fishing knowing reverse wont get you out .Yea I got those pics coming

Either way to conclude this short story.Ive been driving this Jeep to the ground for 50k miles thats on top of its 179k and it wont die its to easy to fix and to damb stong.

All you have to do is love your jeep and its worth every penny I swear!

Please Share your Jeep storys!
Old 07-11-2009, 04:34 PM

wow....ive never heard that kinda story before...lol...im a big boy at 300 pounds, but my XJ, WJ, and all the other jeeps ive had sit level when im driving it...

well, here is a WJ story

3 weeks ago, i pulled a 74 bronco to a wheeling park (haspin acres) with my 04 WJ with the 4.7...we get there, and the bronco wont run...we stay the night any ways, thinking we will get it going...no dice

so we took the battery outa my WJ (the tow rig) and put it in the bronco....it didnt help...so i put it back in the WJ, and the WJ wouldnt start....even jumping it, it would run for a few seconds then die....finally we got it running, and i left it on the rest of the day....at that time, i decided, ive had enough, to much has gone wrong, so lets load up, and we are going home...

i came to that decision by 5 PM, and didnt get outa there until 2 AM bc of my stupid friend who i try to not hang out with anyways....thats a whole other story there....

he was making it harder then hell for me to get that thing loaded...eventually he just up and left in his tahoe and didnt come back for 4 hrs.......ooooohhhhh i was pissed

then we had to pull start the bronco, with my WJ bc he didnt want to mess up his rear u joint on his tahoe...well, after dragging it around in 4-lo for over a half mile, over rough terrain, and him jerkin on my WJ while trying to pop the clutch, it finally started....and we raced back to the trailer so i could hook it up to the WJ and then he could drive the ford onto the trailer, and we would be done.

he got tired of waiting for me to hook the trailer up to the WJ (took 1 minute) so he went off and drive it thru a deep mud hole, getting it stuck and killing it AGAIN!!!

by this time i was ready to stop working on that bronco, and beat the hell outa my "friend"....by this time, i had been texting my usual friends i go wheeling with that use common sence, and know what they are doing, more so then me even...and it was midnight by now, and we were about 120 miles from home, and my friend i was texting offered to get on his bike and ride that 120 mile ride to help me out since the friend that was there wasnt doing anything but making it harder....

i told him that, by that time, on the second pull, the bronco started again, after i pulled its dead weight out of the mud whole, and pull started it again with the WJ......so, anyways, its 2 AM now, and we are heading out...well, my friend decided he and his GF were going to stay in a motel about 5 miles from haspin....i said, thats fine, but im driving home...by now, i was on FIRE!!!....if he even looked at me wrong, i was going to rip his head off

well, he told me that he strapped the bronco to the trailer...and for some reason i believed him

i stopped 20 miles later, still 100 miles from home, at a gas station, and decide, "lets go check on these straps to be safe

as i start walking around the WJ, to the back of the trailer, i notice that the right rear tires had completely slid off the trailer and the rear strap was just hanging there.....

well, i had nothing to use to jack it up, that high, or anything to get it back on the trailer...so i called my friend that offered the first time to get on his bike and come over...i called him to see if he had any ideas, and he offered again, to ride over and help but i told him not to worry about it bc it wasnt worth using all that gas....so i just strapped the right side of the axle, to the left corner of the trailer, and tightened tht hell out of it...it took me 6 hrs to drive a 2 hr trip bc of this, i get home around 8 AM...not an ounce of sleep...by the time i get home, the right rear tire is about 2 inches from the ground...

well, then, the next day, the transmission on my 2004 WJ Limited, with 66k on the odo, starts going out..............................................

it started shutting, feeling like i was driving down a rumble strip, it started slipping, and the MPG were cut in half in the city from the tranny slipping...i use to get around 16- 17 in the city, now its only getting 7-9 in the city...

thats not a cheap tranny to have worked on.....but its still got 4 thousand miles on the warranty, and its at the dealer right now...but they wont fix it, and the worked on a couple things i didnt ask them to work on, and are trying to charge me for that...i went to pick it up today, thinking there wouldnt be any cost for the deductable since they didnt fix what i asked them to, but instead, they wasnted me to pay them 100 bucks for the deductable any ways bc they fixed a couple things that i didnt tell them to fix..i told them today, they can keep the jeep, and i was going to call chrysler

so im going to call chrysler on monday....

theres a story

Last edited by drummerwookie; 07-11-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: Renix 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by drummerwookie
wow....ive never heard that kinda story before...lol...im a big boy at 300 pounds, but my XJ, WJ, and all the other jeeps ive had sit level when im driving it...

well, here is a WJ story

3 weeks ago, i pulled a 74 bronco to a wheeling park (haspin acres) with my 04 WJ with the 4.7...we get there, and the bronco wont run...we stay the night any ways, thinking we will get it going...no dice

so we took the battery outa my WJ (the tow rig) and put it in the bronco....it didnt help...so i put it back in the WJ, and the WJ wouldnt start....even jumping it, it would run for a few seconds then die....finally we got it running, and i left it on the rest of the day....at that time, i decided, ive had enough, to much has gone wrong, so lets load up, and we are going home...

i came to that decision by 5 PM, and didnt get outa there until 2 AM bc of my stupid friend who i try to not hang out with anyways....thats a whole other story there....

he was making it harder then hell for me to get that thing loaded...eventually he just up and left in his tahoe and didnt come back for 4 hrs.......ooooohhhhh i was pissed

then we had to pull start the bronco, with my WJ bc he didnt want to mess up his rear u joint on his tahoe...well, after dragging it around in 4-lo for over a half mile, over rough terrain, and him jerkin on my WJ while trying to pop the clutch, it finally started....and we raced back to the trailer so i could hook it up to the WJ and then he could drive the ford onto the trailer, and we would be done.

he got tired of waiting for me to hook the trailer up to the WJ (took 1 minute) so he went off and drive it thru a deep mud hole, getting it stuck and killing it AGAIN!!!

by this time i was ready to stop working on that bronco, and beat the hell outa my "friend"....by this time, i had been texting my usual friends i go wheeling with that use common sence, and know what they are doing, more so then me even...and it was midnight by now, and we were about 120 miles from home, and my friend i was texting offered to get on his bike and ride that 120 mile ride to help me out since the friend that was there wasnt doing anything but making it harder....

i told him that, by that time, on the second pull, the bronco started again, after i pulled its dead weight out of the mud whole, and pull started it again with the WJ......so, anyways, its 2 AM now, and we are heading out...well, my friend decided he and his GF were going to stay in a motel about 5 miles from haspin....i said, thats fine, but im driving home...by now, i was on FIRE!!!....if he even looked at me wrong, i was going to rip his head off

well, he told me that he strapped the bronco to the trailer...and for some reason i believed him

i stopped 20 miles later, still 100 miles from home, at a gas station, and decide, "lets go check on these straps to be safe

as i start walking around the WJ, to the back of the trailer, i notice that the right rear tires had completely slid off the trailer and the rear strap was just hanging there.....

well, i had nothing to use to jack it up, that high, or anything to get it back on the trailer...so i called my friend that offered the first time to get on his bike and come over...i called him to see if he had any ideas, and he offered again, to ride over and help but i told him not to worry about it bc it wasnt worth using all that gas....so i just strapped the right side of the axle, to the left corner of the trailer, and tightened tht hell out of it...it took me 6 hrs to drive a 2 hr trip bc of this, i get home around 8 AM...not an ounce of sleep...by the time i get home, the right rear tire is about 2 inches from the ground...

well, then, the next day, the transmission on my 2004 WJ Limited, with 66k on the odo, starts going out..............................................

it started shutting, feeling like i was driving down a rumble strip, it started slipping, and the MPG were cut in half in the city from the tranny slipping...i use to get around 16- 17 in the city, now its only getting 7-9 in the city...

thats not a cheap tranny to have worked on.....but its still got 4 thousand miles on the warranty, and its at the dealer right now...but they wont fix it, and the worked on a couple things i didnt ask them to work on, and are trying to charge me for that...i went to pick it up today, thinking there wouldnt be any cost for the deductable since they didnt fix what i asked them to, but instead, they wasnted me to pay them 100 bucks for the deductable any ways bc they fixed a couple things that i didnt tell them to fix..i told them today, they can keep the jeep, and i was going to call chrysler

theres a story

wow .. you dont have to pay the garage a cent unless they asked you if you wanted the stuff done and you said yes.. if they didnt ask you then its on there own dime..
Old 07-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by parkerbabco
wow .. you dont have to pay the garage a cent unless they asked you if you wanted the stuff done and you said yes.. if they didnt ask you then its on there own dime..

thats what i figured...thats why im going to call chrysler monday...

i hate taking things to dealerships
Old 07-14-2009, 08:08 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

thats what i figured...thats why im going to call chrysler monday...

i hate taking things to dealerships
How did that turn out for ya? My cousins buddy took his Dakota in for something similar when it was still under the mileage for the warranty. They told him that they wouldn't cover it because it was do to neglect, or abuse. Think you might fall into that?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

well, here is a WJ story

theres a story
Those bastards. I would be freaking pissed. Actually I am pissed, and its not even happening to me.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by RustyNail
How did that turn out for ya? My cousins buddy took his Dakota in for something similar when it was still under the mileage for the warranty. They told him that they wouldn't cover it because it was do to neglect, or abuse. Think you might fall into that?
well, i called chrysler, and got some fellow from across seas in india, and i couldnt get thru to him what my problem was, so i hung up....called the dealer, and they told me the charge was for the diagnostic...100 bucks for a diognostic....

i told him, well why wasnt that covered under the warrenty....he tells me diagnostics arent covered

i told him "you know what pisses me off the most about warrenties?"...

he goes "what?"

i say "no one takes the freaking (i used a more colorful word) time to inform the owner, what is, and isnt covered under and GD warrenty"...then i told him, as far as im concerned, if it was used for something that IS under warrenty, such as the transmission, then the dang diagnostic should be covered to

he said, "well its not tho"...i told him that we have a bit of a problem then bc the WJ was going to be littering up his parking lot for a while...

i also told him "i have a friend tha thas a very expencive diagnostic computer, and i could have just taken it over to his house and had that part done for free"

he then says "well i doubt its as good as ours".....lol

i said, "well it may not be as fancy as yours, but it will tell me if the tranny has low oil pressure or not, and if it does, then we really got a problem"

he goes "well, yea thats true"...then offered to give it to me for 50 bucks instead of the 100.....i told him i would have to think about it

ive been to busy to call him back, but i may just let it sit over there a couple more weeks, see if they call me....

i just got back from the road a couple hrs ago....went down to montgomery alabama, then from there, came back up here to ohio, then from here to Rhode Island, and back to here, in a 5 day period....so i didnt feel like talking to them any more this week...lol

Last edited by drummerwookie; 07-17-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:34 PM

well, i called chrysler, and got some fellow from across seas in india, and i couldnt get thru to him what my problem was, so i hung up....called the dealer, and they told me the charge was for the diagnostic...100 bucks for a diognostic....

i told him, well why wasnt that covered under the warrenty....he tells me diagnostics arent covered

i told him "you know what pisses me off the most about warrenties?"...

he goes "what?"

i say "no one takes the freaking (i used a more colorful word) time to inform the owner, what is, and isnt covered under and GD warrenty"...then i told him, as far as im concerned, if it was used for something that IS under warrenty, such as the transmission, then the dang diagnostic should be covered to

he said, "well its not tho"...i told him that we have a bit of a problem then bc the WJ was going to be littering up his parking lot for a while...

i also told him "i have a friend tha thas a very expencive diagnostic computer, and i could have just taken it over to his house and had that part done for free"

he then says "well i doubt its as good as ours".....lol

i said, "well it may not be as fancy as yours, but it will tell me if the tranny has low oil pressure or not, and if it does, then we really got a problem"

he goes "well, yea thats true"...then offered to give it to me for 50 bucks instead of the 100.....i told him i would have to think about it

ive been to busy to call him back, but i may just let it sit over there a couple more weeks, see if they call me....

i just got back from the road a couple hrs ago....went down to montgomery alabama, then from there, came back up here to ohio, then from here to Rhode Island, and back to here, in a 5 day period....so i didnt feel like talking to them any more this week...lol
soooo..your gonna leave your vehicle there that (I assume) your still paying on for a few weeks?? after so long man I'm pretty sure they can get rid of it, or claim it as theirs. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I wouldn't leave anything of mine anywhere for that long.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:47 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

soooo..your gonna leave your vehicle there that (I assume) your still paying on for a few weeks?? after so long man I'm pretty sure they can get rid of it, or claim it as theirs. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I wouldn't leave anything of mine anywhere for that long.
That maybe his idea!!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by gajeepxj
That maybe his idea!!
that'd make a lot of sense to keep paying on something you don't own anymore!!
Old 07-18-2009, 05:14 PM

settle down guys, i picked it up a few hrs ago...lol...its not like i was actually going to do it

its sitting outside, with the same problems as before, and 50 bucks less in my account...

ah well, could be worse...at least they came down to 50 for me
Old 07-18-2009, 05:15 PM

that'd make a lot of sense to keep paying on something you don't own anymore!!
well, actually if they wanted to sell it, they would have to pay it off just to get the title so they could sell it to some one else...

but like i said, i wasnt really going to go thru with it
Old 07-18-2009, 05:31 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

Haspin Sucks! I prefer Badlands or redbird. My cousin got stuck out there for 8 hours. All he did was pull a guy out with his powerchoke and it had a small engine fire causing him to be stranded because his "buddies" didn't even try to fix it. My uncle had to come get him. Funny thing though he now drives a WJ!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Default 95 Cherokee, A love story.

Been wanting to get rid of my 96 F150 and get a Cherokee for at least 5 years. I've never owned a Cherokee before, but always liked the boxy shape, just thought they were tough looking. Also thought it would be nice to have an SUV that's not half the size of a school bus, [think Expedition's and Suburban's]

I found a white 2wd on the web and bought it. I wanted a 95 so I would'nt have to fool with the OBD II computer, my 150 always cost me money when it came inspection time with all the codes it was throwing for a bad O2 sensor or catalytic converter, or whatever was wrong with it that week.

I had spent 6 mos. looking online for a 95 and found most that age had between 175,000 - 225,000 miles on them, I know the 4.0 last like crazy, but I plan on keeping this one for several years so I wanted as few miles as possible.

And god forbid someone would have a 95 Cherokee with less than a hundred thousand on it, because they seemed to think that "less than 100,000" meant it was made of gold. The average price I was seeing for high mileage 95's was about $1800 - $2500, but if someone had less than a hundred thou on the clock, especially if it was a dealer, they were asking about $4000, not worth it.

I finally found a 95 for $2400 with 112,000 miles and I loved it from the get-go. I thought my 96 F150 was crude, my Cherokee makes the F150 seem like an Escalade.
Jeep could'nt even give me a trip meter on this thing? and it's been since about 5'th grade since I've seen a vehicle with idiot lights instead of gauges, and what's with the gauge lighting from the 70's? Matter of fact, the entire interior looks like it was from the 70's, it's hilariously crude, but I love it. Anyway, I don't trust the idiot light for coolant temp so I'll be adding a real guage very soon.

And while they were at it I guess it was too much to ask for a quiet, non-rattling engine, oh well, the Flowmaster is coming, that will cover up some of the rattle.

It's compleately stock with the old basic steel wheels on it with 235's. Got some rims for it today off Craigslist for a hundred bucks, [attached pic], a lift and BFG A/T's are coming in a couple weeks.

I'm going to keep this Jeep for as long as it will last.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Seasoned Member

well, here is a WJ story

theres a story
If i was you i would have said **** off and left when he got stuck again, and i would make sure my "FRIEND" was never to talk to me again.

Quick Reply: Jeep cherokee Story