Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cylinder
Default inspection question

i am due for inspection in bout two months and was wondering if you will faill with out a rear sway bar
Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phillyxj570
i am due for inspection in bout two months and was wondering if you will faill with out a rear sway bar
You will be fine. The upcountry package cherokees came from the factory without a rear swaybar.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L H.O. I6

yeah, if you could fail for that then i'd never pass.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:11 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

x2 You'll be fine
Old 05-21-2010, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

but if your worried, check your state/county laws.

nueces county, texas safety inspection is very lax.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

We don't have safety inspection in Wis. I knew people that lived in upper Mi., But registered their cars in Wis. Because of their safety inspection laws.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
We don't have safety inspection in Wis. I knew people that lived in upper Mi., But registered their cars in Wis. Because of their safety inspection laws.
Michigan has no inspection laws, nor do they enforce motor vehicle code. If they did half of the state would lose their ride due to inspections.

Ex: The other day I saw a hood rat driving a Cavalier that was missing the front bumper, rear bumper and the drivers side mirror. The drivers rear fender was torn and folded up into the trunk. It was torn and folded up so bad that the tire was no longer covered by the body. The trunk was held down with bungee cords and the license plate was taped onto the trunk. All four tires were different and to top it off it had a cracked windshield. Guess what? The Po-Po drove right past her and didnt even look twice.

Long story short, no rear sway is not a problem. My Xj never came with one, besides the inspection shop would never know if it did or not.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

yours came with out one?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:26 PM

UpCountry Suspension package. What that means is there is no rear sway bar right off the assembly line. Never had one sense it was born.

From Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)

Rear Suspension
The XJ uses a leaf spring rear suspension. Each leaf pack contains four leaf springs with a fixed eye at the front of the spring and a shackle at the rear of the spring. Two gas-charged shock absorbers are also used, along with a mild anti-sway/anti-roll bar. The suspension used on vehicles with the optional UpCountry Package did not employ the rear anti-sway/anti-roll bar and provided one inch of lift over the standard suspension
Old 05-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

Originally Posted by trs80
Michigan has no inspection laws, nor do they enforce motor vehicle code. If they did half of the state would lose their ride due to inspections.

Ex: The other day I saw a hood rat driving a Cavalier that was missing the front bumper, rear bumper and the drivers side mirror. The drivers rear fender was torn and folded up into the trunk. It was torn and folded up so bad that the tire was no longer covered by the body. The trunk was held down with bungee cords and the license plate was taped onto the trunk. All four tires were different and to top it off it had a cracked windshield. Guess what? The Po-Po drove right past her and didnt even look twice.

Long story short, no rear sway is not a problem. My Xj never came with one, besides the inspection shop would never know if it did or not.
I'm just an old Jersey Boy........Whats a Hood Rat?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Willys55
I'm just an old Jersey Boy........Whats a Hood Rat?
Well, here you go... http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=hood%20rat

I would post up the definition but trying to keep it PG for all the CF family guys.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

Originally Posted by trs80
Well, here you go... http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=hood%20rat

I would post up the definition but trying to keep it PG for all the CF family guys.
Thats just plain nasty right there.

i didn't think it was a trained squirl or hamster driving a suzuki.:he lp:
Old 05-22-2010, 11:28 PM

If I see it (the car) again I will take a picture. I could not believe this thing still drove after how smashed up it was. But gots to do what you gots to do, as they say.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:59 PM

Year: 2000

trs80 - I've done ride alongs with that state police in southern MI that have enforced the motor vehicle code. Especially when the person they pulled over for excessive speed tells the officer that he is infringing on his rights to drive. Then the MVC book comes out - low tire pressure, cracked windshield, no rear bumper, no rear tailgate...etc. So, you're right that it doesn't always happen - and MI doesn't have safety inspections.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Of course it happens. My point was just not as often as it should. Like you said it only becomes an issue when said officer is looking to add onto what violation you have already been cited for. Or they use it as a reason to pull you over to look for a major violation, drunk driving and so on. Did you know its illegal in MI to use coil spacers? Have you ever seen anyone pulled over or cited for having/using them?

Quick Reply: inspection question