XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Import a European Diesel XJ??

Old 05-28-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Import a European Diesel XJ??

Am moving to Germany for a year... I have always wanted one of the Diesel XJ's.

I was wondering if anybody knew anything about the importation laws surrounding them? Do they meet emission standards for the US? I mean... I can't imagine they wouldn't. They simply weren't sold in America due to Americans not wanting to buy a diesel XJ...

But I may be wrong. Probably am.

Does anybody have any more information for me? Tips? Experiences? Can anybody point me in the right direction?

What do y'all think about the 2.5 liter diesel XJ 5 speeds? 4x4 obviously.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would be huge pita to import the whole truck. Be easier and cheaper to part it out and ship basically the front clip and fuel parts to yourself to install in a jeep here in the states. However, if you have emissions in your area I am not sure how easy it would be to swap a gasser to a diesel. Check your state's dot website.
Look up vehicle importation rules too. Iirc there is a 20year rule so that you can import cars older than 20. Or it might be 25. This actually may be less of a hassle than doing a gas to diesel conversion depending on your state.

Last edited by mr white; 05-28-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

^^^

If its less than 25 years old it will be a pita.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/TempInfo.html
Old 05-28-2014, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

AND IIRC, diesel cars didn't meet emission standards for America. Some states already had them before others. Only some models made it like Mercedes turbo diesel from the 80s. This is to my knowledge. Now every car has a diesel model in America and in many states too
Old 05-28-2014, 10:27 PM

Well... I live in Florida. So no state emission regulation problems. Only the federal regulations.

And the import rule is 25 years.

Does anybody know what it would take to be able to import one of them?
Old 05-29-2014, 02:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Shipping unless your military will be 3k to 5k plus the importing tax on it.Getting it tagged and insured might be kinda a pain.I would look more in to if the mexican or maybe south american xjs had a diesel in them that might be cheaper and easier to get if they made it.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Shipping unless your military will be 3k to 5k plus the importing tax on it.Getting it tagged and insured might be kinda a pain.I would look more in to if the mexican or maybe south american xjs had a diesel in them that might be cheaper and easier to get if they made it.
That's not a bad idea... But i am going to be living in Germany. I wanted to get a diesel XJ as my vehicle. Work on it.. Put the same love into it as I have my currently owned XJ's. Then ship it back.

It seems more and more like it's going to be to big of a pain to be worth it... And more money than converting an XJ to diesel... Which I don't really want a converted diesel XJ. Thought a factory Diesel XJ would be a nice little Gem to own here in the states!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

There a Mercedes engine you can drop in an xj that iirc is diesel. Plus there is a tread on here somewhere
Old 05-30-2014, 01:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You could buy half cut diesel xj ship it over to the usa and use it to swap the diesel in one.A half cut is basicly everything from the firewall foward a lot the import guys use them for jdm engine swaps.The downside would be not being a us engine replacement parts are pricey and shipping would be forever.I would think hard about swapping in a american diesel like the vw tdi or whatever else that fits.Or buy a suzuki samurai/geo tracker or a olde toyota with a 22r all of those are easy to swap a diesel in and are small like a xj.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:55 AM

Ehh.... I would do a V8 conversion before a diesel conversion. Or just bore out the 4.0 to a 4.7 or 5.0 and stroke and supercharge it. That is what I have planned for my MJ.

The point was to have a factory diesel XJ in the US.... It would be incredibly rare and so awesome to have something so unique! Maybe I'll just have to get one while I'm over there and sell it before I come back...

I don't really need another XJ anyways. I have two XJ's and an MJ that will be waiting on me when I get back!! My grandmother is being kind enough to let me store my vehicles for her place. I am adding her and my dad to my insurance policy. All they gotta do it out gas in them when they wanna drive them! I even told my gmaw she could take my mustang on her trips to North Carolina if she likes! Gets better gas mileage than her 5.7 liter Tundra she drives daily.

Have any of y'all had an personal experience with one of the factory diesel XJ's??