Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default IAT and MPG

Cleaned and moved the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor. Turns out the sensor hole on the intake is the same thread as the oil plug (I had an extra). Didn't even have to add to the wiring.

I'm getting differing feedback on if moving the sensor is good or bad. So this next week I'm going to try a little experiment. I'm going on two longish drives, more than a tank of gas, mostly highway. I'm going to clear the computer, drive it for a couple of days, go on the drive and measure the MPG's with the sensor mounted on the intake and then later in the week MPG's with the sensor on the intake manifold.

I'll then report back. If MPG is the same, I think I'll leave it on the intake. If it's better on the intake manifold, I'll move it back for the winter then try this again next summer. This is on a 2001 Cherokee with calli emissions.

Last edited by vespa50sp; 12-29-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

I've been reading up on this myself and will be checking back to see your results in a "cold" state like Minnesota.

People have said to return it to the stock location during the winter and move it back to the airbox for the summer. Keep us posted.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Flowpro
I've been reading up on this myself and will be checking back to see your results in a "cold" state like Minnesota.

People have said to return it to the stock location during the winter and move it back to the airbox for the summer. Keep us posted.
Minnesota has not been so cold this year. The only snow is up in Ely. I think that any mileage difference of greater than around 1 mpg would be significant. I'll report back, it's my little experiment. Maybe track the outside temp also or I could put my little wireless temp sensor under the hood again. But I'll keep my eyes on the road : )

Last edited by vespa50sp; 12-29-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by vespa50sp
Cleaned and moved the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor. Turns out the sensor hole on the intake is the same thread as the oil plug (I had an extra). Didn't even have to add to the wiring.

I'm getting differing feedback on if moving the sensor is good or bad. So this next week I'm going to try a little experiment. I'm going on two longish drives, more than a tank of gas, mostly highway. I'm going to clear the computer, drive it for a couple of days, go on the drive and measure the MPG's with the sensor mounted on the intake and then later in the week MPG's with the sensor on the intake manifold.

I'll then report back. If MPG is the same, I think I'll leave it on the intake. If it's better on the intake manifold, I'll move it back for the winter then try this again next summer. This is on a 2001 Cherokee with calli emissions.
OK, here are the results. This is for a 2001 Cherokee Sport with an auto, electric fan conversion, synthetic in the engine and diffs, dino in the tranny, 235's, new upstream O2 sensors, copper plugs, performance air intake, spacer and a cleaned IAT. It's been warm for MN this year, outside temps between 15 and 40 ish degrees. Mostly highway and some local both trips, 60-70 mph with the cruise control on.

With the IAT sensor mounted in the performance intake, 385.5 miles on 24.2 gallons, or 15.9 mpg.

With the IAT sensor mounted in the intake manifold (normal), 356 miles on 19.5 gallons, or 18.3 mpg

I got 15% better mileage with the IAT in it's original location on the Cherokee in the winter.

The under hood temp was interesting. I generally ran about 10-12 degrees warmer on the sensor duck taped to the performance intake than the outside temp when moving over 20 mph. Sitting in traffic, the temp under hood could spike up to 40-50 degrees over the outside temp. I've seen articles that performance air intakes on 4.0's add 5ish plus hp and it does have a little more spunk, but I'm not sold on the idea that specifically a cold air intake adds much while tooling around. It might help when moving slow.

The cowl and snorkel air intakes would help with water and debris. I have noticed that my debris shield over my air filter has gotten splatter, even as a daily driver.

Not convinced that synthetic adds anything, except maybe it leaks a little faster and I change oil a little less often. But it would probably get the same mpg on fresh walmart oil. Next test maybe...

Not convinced that the spacer does anything, but I do like the whistling sound : )

Last edited by vespa50sp; 01-08-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Interesting. Thanks for getting back to us.

Are you going to do a summer comparison too?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Flowpro
Interesting. Thanks for getting back to us.

Are you going to do a summer comparison too?
I could, I don't have to cut any wires and the holes are already there : )