Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need some help from some people that know vehicle painting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB
Default I need some help from some people that know vehicle painting.

Well a while back, last September to be exact, I scratched the paint on my XJ up pretty bad so I decided to paint it. I bought some cheaper single stage automotive paint at NAPA, it was Sand color with flattener. Basically to make a long story short I painted it and now 8 monthes later the paint is flaking off in the corners and scratches off very easily, it looks really stupid to have a tan paint job with blue showing through all over the place.

To be honest I HATE bodywork, anything where if you mess it up you cant just take it back apart easily and then do it again isn't for me. So I only want to have to do this 1 more time, I'm thinking of doing some sort of tinted spray on bedliner maybe with like olive or blue tint or something. I tried roll on herculiner for my floors and it peels off too easy and is way too coarse and isn't tintable, basically I don't like it. Are there any decent products out there that can be done at home with like some reasonable tools, I have a compressor and spray gun and a decent idea of how to paint, I just don't know what to use.

I would also consider doing a 2 stage paintjob like what a factory Cherokee comes with, but that seems to require me to hand grind the entire vehicle down to bare metal which is going to be one hell of a chore. Honestly at this point i'm really wishing i left the blue and either just touched it up or left it alone, I'm so dreading having to repaint this that I was pretty close to just buying a cheap Cherokee body and swapping all my stuff over.

Basically what im looking for is a paintjob that isn't going to scratch off super easy and leave me with some crappy looking "2 tone".

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Iant333; 05-09-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If the tan scratches off that easily, and leaves the original blue showing. Means it didn't adhere good. So the next layer will not stick well either. Until the tan comes off. But it should DA off fairly easy. A good paint job is all prep. work, You shouldn't have to take it down to all bare metal. But the scratches need to be feathered out good. (and primed) I myself wouldn't of changed colors, because of the interior, door jams, under the hood & hatch. (so what do you have now? tan exterior/blue interior) I would go back to the original color paint. (or that color non-metallic, solid dark blue) If you want something a little classier. Two tone Solid dark blue bottom (from the body line, just below the mirrors) and a light sliver metallic from that body line up. That way you only have to mask off the upper door, hatch jams. So they don't turn sliver. This color combo looks really good. Use a half way decent paint, like "centuri". you want something harder, try "Imron". (it's more expensive, but more durable)...JMO!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

Use Primer. Not just the cheap junk either.