Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

i love dealing with salesmen while looking at a jeep

Old 07-19-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i love dealing with salesmen while looking at a jeep

this has been a couple weeks, but figured id throw it up in here

there is this small town dealer not from from where i live that has had, and for a while now, a 1997 black 2-door XJ sport with a 3.5 inch lift and 31 inch tires.....not a bad looking jeep from the road....i could tell it didnt have any of its fender flares, but still looked good

i drive by this place a LOT in my truck while working and have always been interested in it....well i had some money in hand and was looking for an XJ...i was already pretty sure i was going to get my friends (the one i ended up getting) but i figured this one was 4 years newer, but still set up the same as my friends with the 2 doors and black in color and 5-speed manual..

well i pulled the truck over on the side of the road and walked over to some one working there....

by the way, i told a friend of mine about it, long before i looked at it, and he said, "its a black lifted 2 door?"....i said yea, and he said to be careful bc he hear about a guy with a jeep just like it who beat the **** outa it

so im talking to this guy at the dealer about it and we walk over to look at it....its got decent paint, and 31 inch, bald, and i mean racing slick bald, trxus MTs on stock XJ wheels.....i ask the guy if its got spacers and an add a aleaf, or if its got 3 inch springs...and if it had an SYE with that big of a lift....he goes, "well it sounds like you know more about the lift then i do" so i looked at it and it had the bigger springs, but no SYE.....

so then i asked the guy if this jeep had ever been wheeled....and he goes "oh no, not this one, its been on the street its whole life"....i then asked, well, where are the fender flares at then, bc the only reason ive ever heard of them being taken off is bc the person wheels it...he again denied that it had ever been wheeled....so i look at it some more, and notice a TON of trail scratches....you know, how you can tell a trail scratch from a mile away...they were on the roof, the sides, the rocker panels, every where, and a couple dents too, that im assuming were from the trail

so i look inside...and what do you know, the floor was Rhino lined...lol...i say something to him, and he goes, no thats the bare metal floor...then he goes, oh no, i guess ur right, it is rhino lined..lol....

again, another tell tale sign that the person wheeled it....people who dont wheel XJs, dont take the carpet out, and especially dont rhino line the floors, and they dont take the fender flares off...lol

so i told the guy that my friend knew of a guy from that town that had a 97 XJ just like this, lifted, black, 2 doors, and a manual, that they owner beat the snot out of....so i told him that, and said, ill give you one more chance....was this jeep wheeled....and keep in mind, i by now know the answer..lol...im just trying to get an honest answer out of him

so like i said, i gave him one more chance to tell the truth, and again, he said Nope its never been off road"...lol....i said, alright, thanks for your time, but ive lost interest...and i left..and its still there too...its been there for close to a year...

i love dealing with salesmen...lol
Old 07-19-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4-banger

wow he must be really hard headed haha stupid sales-men
Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Grand Cherokee

lol my family and I were looking at JKs at a dealership. My dad wanted an Orange Rubicon with a stick. Of course, they didnt have one so they called a dealership that had one, but they wanted a Rubicon in return. And naturally they didnt tell us where it was. So the guy took us for a walk around the lot and we stopped at all these JKs. One was orange with a soft top and steel wheels and no LSD. They guy was like we could lift that up and put Rubicon tires and wheels on it. My dad said no. We then looked at some other stuff that was almost just as bad. Then we went inside and they had this lift four door JK. My dad didnt even want a four door, but there was this very pushy salesman on us. The JK has 35s, X package, At the time I was postive the best Wrangler ever made is the Rubicon and I came to a conclusion that a stock Rubicon could put that four door JK to shame. They kept on asking my dad "Why a Rubicon?"

Later that week, my dad called a place in Toledo and they had nothing, but the lady was kind enough to look one up for him and she gave my dad the name of the place. They had a orange loaded Rubicon in Dublin, Ohio. My dad called them up and bought it.... The other dealerships are still calling us and leaving messages to see if we are still interested...lol

btw, has anybody ever got the impression that they know way more Jeep stuff than the actual sale-men?

Last edited by dlundblad; 07-19-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 PM

oh yea, i have yet to find a salesman that knows as much as i do about jeeps...lol...

ur dads deal sounds like something that happened to me....back in 05, i was looking for a rubicon myself....but i was looking for a brand new 05 not an 06 bc of the rabates and things...

well, we called a couple dealers down in cincinatti, and im about 80 miles north of there, so a desent drive...the one said they had an 06 that just came in that day with 3 miles on it...and the other said they had an 05 brand new...both the same colors, soft top, 6 speed...every thing i wanted on both...

well i drove down to the first one i called with the 06...he brought it around, and it was the navy blue with black soft top, and man it was nice....well i drove it a couple miles, and got back and said, well im really looking for an 05...

so i went to the next dealer, and went in and asked where the 05 rubi was...and he goes, "we dont have an 05...havent had one for a couple weeks"....then he goes, "but we have an 06"....i said, "so you mean to tell me i drove 80 miles bc you lied to me?"...

they said, "well, ill tell you what....since we were mistaken, and you drive down here, if you buy our jeep, we will include 2 years of free oil changes...lol...

i said, "wait a minute, you expect me to drive down here, 80 miles, just for a free oil change when i can do it myself for half the price of gas both ways...lol...

so i walked out, went home, a week later came back down and bought the first one i looked at...the one i drove...still only had 5 miles on it....i was the only one who had driven it...so i bought that one...

Old 07-19-2009, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Looks cool man...
Old 07-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998 & 1991
Engine: 98-4.0 & 91-4.0

Do you have a xj? Just wondering cause I don't see any information and you have a picture of a rubicom..

Not sure if you have one or bought one yet.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Oath
Do you have a xj? Just wondering cause I don't see any information and you have a picture of a rubicom..

Not sure if you have one or bought one yet.
Who cares..?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Clearly I do since I asked the question. I was just wondering if he owns a xj or has one. Maybe I'm interested in what he has? Next time, do me a favor and don't post unless you are actually going to say anything useful.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 PM

yep, i have an XJ, and a WJ too....i dont have the rubicon anymore tho, sadly...now im a cherokee guy

Last edited by drummerwookie; 07-20-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Clearly I do since I asked the question. I was just wondering if he owns a xj or has one. Maybe I'm interested in what he has? Next time, do me a favor and don't post unless you are actually going to say anything useful.
I was more so saying who cares as long as he has a Jeep, but be immature and try and act tough...it is the Internet so it is a big deal.

To start a little ***** fight online shows your maturity, so how about you stop posting unless you have something mature to say.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OnlyInMyXJ22
I was more so saying who cares as long as he has a Jeep, but be immature and try and act tough...it is the Internet so it is a big deal.

To start a little ***** fight online shows your maturity, so how about you stop posting unless you have something mature to say.
I must admit, I was not sure what point you were trying to get across either on your previous post. That just shows everyone how hard comunicating online is.

Dave
Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by OnlyInMyXJ22

now now

DONT HI-JACK MY THREAD!!!

now, dont you feel better
Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Seasoned Member

What did you do with the rubicon?

Also, to the OP, I didn't mean for my post to sound in any way offensive. I was merely asking if you had an xj, knowing you probably did because you're here. I understand that it may have come out as misleading, but in no way was I being mature or trying to act tough, nuff said.

To OnlyInMyXJ22, as stated previously, your post came out as rather confusing, which I may have taken too seriously. Either way, what's done is done, I apologize. Yes, this is the internet, no I was not trying to act tough, and I am probably too mature for my age, go figure?

I'll un-hijack this thread now.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:17 PM

What did you do with the rubicon?

Also, to the OP, I didn't mean for my post to sound in any way offensive. I was merely asking if you had an xj, knowing you probably did because you're here. I understand that it may have come out as misleading, but in no way was I being mature or trying to act tough, nuff said.

To OnlyInMyXJ22, as stated previously, your post came out as rather confusing, which I may have taken too seriously. Either way, what's done is done, I apologize. Yes, this is the internet, no I was not trying to act tough, and I am probably too mature for my age, go figure?

I'll un-hijack this thread now.
well its rather sad really

i bought it brand new in 05 as the 06 model...well, my step dad was a cosigner for me since i was only 20 or so, and we got it....i was making 520 dollar a month payments, made them every month on time, no problems for 2 straight years...

well, my folks had to declare chapter 7.....when they did that, they asked the lawyers, since my step dad was a cosigner, if they needed to do anything so there wouldnt be a problem with me keeping the rubi....they said there wouldnt be a problem since he was just a co-signer....

well, 5 months later i get a call from chrysler financial telling me they are going to pick up my rubicon that week........i go "oh no no you're not...i have been paying on this thing for 2 years, all payments on time and i have the bank records to prove"

she goes "yes you are right...you have been very good about making the payments, but that isnt the problem.....it shows here your co-owner filed for bankrupcy and surrendered your 2006 jeep wrangler rubicon"

i say "whoa wait a minute....my step dad co-SIGNED for me, hes not a co-OWNER..."

she says, "well the dealer put you down as co owners"...

so in other words, the dealer screwed us over, and put my step dad down as a co-owner, while telling us and showing us on paper, he was a co-signer....

the lady actually fought for me, talking to the people at chrysler about refinancing it strictly in my name since i had been such a good customer with my prompt payments....but chrysler wouldnt hear of it....

to make an even longer story short, 2 weeks later, they came and got my rubicon................i was devistated....all the money i put into that thing alone just in monthly payments, was all thrown away....520 bucks a month i paid on that thing for 2 solid years, only to have it taken away from me, along with the money....
Old 07-20-2009, 09:22 PM

P.S. i guess that story kinda fits in better with this thread then i thought it was going to..lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i love dealing with salesmen while looking at a jeep