Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I hope none of you ever have to warranty anything with Rugged Ridge (Omix-ADA)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I hope none of you ever have to warranty anything with Rugged Ridge (Omix-ADA)

I have had absolutely the worst experience with this company.

In July of last year I bought one of their seats to replace my torn up leather stock seat. (http://www.ruggedridge.com/ultra-fro...-13446-37.html - take note of part number 13446.37).

About late last month the material started cracking, oh well it's got a warranty. This is my only seat, I literally have no other drivers seat.

Well I sent them pictures and after a small back and forth about coverage I get this email.

Mr. Tackett,

I will be handling the warranty claim from here. We do apologize for the seats not holding up as expected. We would like to honor the warranty claim and provide you with a RGA for you to return the current seat at your expense. Once we receive the seat we will inspect for warranty approval and ship you a new seat. You will receive another email from our returns department with the RGA#. Please mark the outside of the box with the RGA number for processing. Please let us know if you have any questions. OMIX / Rugged Ridge works very hard to provide quality products. We do provide a Five Year Warranty on nearly all of our products to offer our customers security in their purchases. A full disclosure of our warranty and limits of liability is available at: http://www.omix-ada.com/warranty/

Please return the seats to:

Omix-ADA
460 Horizon Dr. Ste 400
Suwanee, GA 30024
I'm not really happy about this, small stuff breaks that is not essential to driving and I'd have no problem sending it back. They acknowledged the seat has a manufacturing issue and agreed to warranty it, but want me to ship my seat back...of which it's my only one. Which I expressed back to them.

Hey,

Couple things. That really doesn't help me. Since if I take the seat out of the car I won't have a seat to drive with, and it's my only vehicle. So that poses a serious problem. So reading through your warranty page I'd have to buy a new seat ($341.99 + shipping) and then also pay to ship my seat back?

I'm not sure how that helps me? I'm basically buying a new seat and paying for shipping so that you guys can tell me what I've already shown you in pictures.

I can't be without my seat.
They basically ignored that I need my seat, it's an extremely frustrating offer. And then they acknowledged I basically had to buy a new seat or be without one.

Mr. Tackett,

We understand that sometimes what we offer does not work for everyone. You are correct, the only way to not be without a seat is to purchase another seat and once you receive that you can return the damaged seat in the box for credit. We are the manufacturer and that is our policy. You may contact CSE Offroad to see if they have a different policy. Please let me know how you would like to proceed so that we may provide you with a RGA# for the return.

Thank you,
That email was on the 9th. On the 10th I decided screw it and I'll order a seat, use it as the drivers and RMA this one and then use that as the passenger seat. On the 13th I got my seat. I emailed 3 (Yes THREE) times to get an RGA (RMA) number from them. On the 25th I finally got an RMA number. Packed it up and took it to UPS and got it shipped, on my damn dime to. $60, seats are not cheap to ship. Pretty unhappy since they've already admitted that it is an issue with the seat and are warrantying it, but whatever. $60 to get a perfect seat is fine.

I get my seat back on Friday the 10th. I didn't open the box immediately and it wouldn't have mattered. I didn't get home from work until 7pm and they were closed. I finally on Sunday pull my passenger seat out and the rails. Go inside and start unboxing the new seat. Pull the packing slip out, same part number 13446.37 and I figure fine, everything is great. Well no.

Looking at the seat it's pretty obvious that something is wrong, the color is the same. But the pattern on the seat is different. Just slightly, but enough that it would drive me nuts. So I look at the box, it's part 13414.37 (http://www.ruggedridge.com/ultra-fro...-13414-37.html). Ah, well damn. Upon further inspection the parts are interchangeable, but if they are then why a second part number? So I immediately email, and I'm pretty mad.

You sent me the wrong seat!

My seat was 13446.37 and you sent me 13414.37.

They have entirely different patterns, now I have two mismatched seats.

What is going on?

This is absolutely the worst RMA (RGA) experience I've ever had. Your communication is **** poor, your lack of willing to work with customers is appalling and your ability to get a simple return right is just staggering.

I need the proper seat, you have them listed as two different part numbers.
So now, I have $600 in seats, $60 in shipping, and mis matched seats. Even though I bought two matching seats! That is annoying.

This is the email I get back from them.

SIR,

This is the correct seat we have changed vendors so the style of our seats have been changed as well. We can issue a label to get this one sent back to us and have a refund be issued or you can keep this seat. Let me know how you would like to proceed with this issue. If we send out another seat it will look the same as the one you have received.

thank you
This is unacceptable. I called them, I basically told them if that's the case then they need to send me a new version of the seat, and I'll send them back the old version of the seat and that they are paying the return shipping. I paid for two matching seats, and that's what I want. After talking to 2 managers and multiple people on the phone, and being hung up on I finally got them to agree to send me a new seat, and I'll keep the matching pair and send the other one back on their dime.

Here are pics, yea it's probably a small thing. But I want what I paid for.

This is a stupid simple RMA, there is no reason it should have gone down like this.

Original Seat
20140722_155712 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

20140722_180615 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

Damage
IMG_20150302_151322 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

Hard to tell, but it's basically through all the way. I'm not a big guy either, 6'3 205.

New seat (piping where flats go into bolsters is the change, as well as the headrest bracket colors, also slightly different hue of the color it appears in the sun)
IMG_20150413_080849 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

IMG_20150413_080852 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

I will be extremely weary of buying Omix-ADA, Rugged Ridge, or Alloy USA parts again, basically only if there is no other option. Very aggravating to deal with a company that is almost unwilling to work with you unless you scream and raise royal hell. All I wanted is matching seats, that's not too much to ask when that's what I paid for.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Their policy is about the same as most all the other smaller companies from what I read in your post and being in business myself for many years I see nothing wrong with it basically.

2 companies I have done a lot of business with and have above average return policies as far as automotive are Summit and Jegs. In fact several yrs. ago Jegs warrantied a complete Chevy 572ci./830HP Crate motor for me not cheap and they picked up the return shipping after they had looked at it.

In my business I understand when you have to change vendors or one material no longer is available anymore. I can't really tell the difference till you pointed it out but they don't match the rest of the interior either so I guess to me it would not be a big deal. JMHO
Old 04-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Their policy is about the same as most all the other smaller companies from what I read in your post and being in business myself for many years I see nothing wrong with it basically.

2 companies I have done a lot of business with and have above average return policies as far as automotive are Summit and Jegs. In fact several yrs. ago Jegs warrantied a complete Chevy 572ci./830HP Crate motor for me not cheap and they picked up the return shipping after they had looked at it.

In my business I understand when you have to change vendors or one material no longer is available anymore. I can't really tell the difference till you pointed it out but they don't match the rest of the interior either so I guess to me it would not be a big deal. JMHO
I understand changing vendors, the material feels the same. It is slightly different colors.

The problem is, they're full of ****. There's no way they changed vendors between the time I bought my second seat and received the RMA seat. It was barely over 3 weeks and they said it they changed vendors months ago on the phone. My 2nd seat I purchased in March was drop shipped from them, so it would have been the new seat. Nothing seems to add up, I guess maybe I didn't make that clear.

They aren't a perfect match to the rest of the interior, however I'd like the two seats I bought that are supposed to match each to you know...match each other that's not too much to ask.

I would have loved for them to pick up return shipping. Omix-ADA is by no means a small company IMO. I run a small business selling car parts in the import world, if I have a part with a defect and it's returned to me with said defect I refund the customers return shipping. Omix-ADA may not be a multi-trillion dollar company, but they are by no means small at all. Most small companies actually tend to have better return policies, at least from what I experienced.

I equate this to buying 4 soft 8s, one bending and a getting a d-window from the manufacturer because they changed vendors.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Next time just get your seat patched.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Next time just get your seat patched.
It has a warranty. If I patched it I undoubtedly would have voided the warranty.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by besthaticouldo
It has a warranty. If I patched it I undoubtedly would have voided the warranty.
Sometimes the cost to fix something is less than the cost to deal with warranties that include shipping, time, and expenditure of company "policies" that protect the company more than the consumer.

Ask me how I know... I've been a Rough Country customer for 3 years, but not anymore and I'm not looking back.

I would have just taken the seat to an upholstery shop, gotten the tear fixed, and called it a day.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Banned

The problem is, it shouldn't have been that way. This wouldn't honestly have been a big deal if they'd have sent me a matching seat, or said before I ordered another seat (which I told them I was doing) and sent my seat in that they changed patterns on me.

The seat has a warranty for a reason. Also the last thing I'd want to do is patch it, and then have an actual mechanical issue with the seat (adjuster breaking or something) and go to warranty it and they say no.

The company is definitely protecting themselves more than helping themselves.

I also don't want a seat with a patch on it. If I was going to patch seats I'd have done the stockers.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

The problem is, it shouldn't have been that way. This wouldn't honestly have been a big deal if they'd have sent me a matching seat, or said before I ordered another seat (which I told them I was doing) and sent my seat in that they changed patterns on me.

The seat has a warranty for a reason. Also the last thing I'd want to do is patch it, and then have an actual mechanical issue with the seat (adjuster breaking or something) and go to warranty it and they say no.

The company is definitely protecting themselves more than helping themselves.

I also don't want a seat with a patch on it. If I was going to patch seats I'd have done the stockers.
You don't have to get a patch on it. You can just have a specific part of the seat re-upholstered. I've done it several times and it looks factory.

The whole point is to bypass said "warranty," which clearly sucks, and do it yourself, better, for yourself.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998

I had an issue once with fit of a Rugged Ridge Stainless Header, sent them pictures showing the fit issues, they replied back right away, checked the current inventory to realize they were all welded wrong in the jig, they apologized, overnighted me a new polished stainless header (upgrade) that was on my door step in the morning and told me to do what I want with the bad header. My experience was quit the opposite. People also complain about Rough Country, had an issue with one of their first winches, they sent me a new one, told me to put the old one in the box and include a return postage sticker. They did however put a hold on my credit card for the cost of the winch incase I did not send the old one back.... both companies I was impressed with the Customer Service.

PS: Usually the nicer you try to stay, the nicer they are in return.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

Everything I have ever bought from OMIX-ADA was pure trash
Old 04-13-2015, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 248 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Only thing I've ever bought off them was new upper arms (didn't have much money and needed them). So far so good after 6 months and winter.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:35 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I understand the OP's frustration. He was more than reasonable and even BOUGHT another seat out of his initial frustration.
Then, to get something different?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I understand the OP's frustration. He was more than reasonable and even BOUGHT another seat out of his initial frustration.
Then, to get something different?
This, this is exactly why I am so pissed.

I am literally driving with one seat right now. Worst part is, my dad is coming to town this weekend and I was so excited to show him the progress on my XJ and go do a fun little trail close to my house. That plan is probably scratched.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:09 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

This, this is exactly why I am so pissed.

I am literally driving with one seat right now. Worst part is, my dad is coming to town this weekend and I was so excited to show him the progress on my XJ and go do a fun little trail close to my house. That plan is probably scratched.

Had they said: We have a replacement seat but it has been superceded by one that is somewhat different, you could have made a decision based on that, instead of being surprised when you opened the box.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Had they said: We have a replacement seat but it has been superceded by one that is somewhat different, you could have made a decision based on that, instead of being surprised when you opened the box.
Very true.

Luckily after much fighting and basically losing my mind on the phone it looks like I'm finally getting what I paid for.

They're sending me a seat. I keep the matching pair and send the other back. No questions asked, on their dime. New warranty on both seats I have.

So that's good. The **** poor communication is what pissed me off so bad.

Quick Reply: I hope none of you ever have to warranty anything with Rugged Ridge (Omix-ADA)