I don't know anymore

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline-6
Default I don't know anymore

So a while back I posted here about the transmission in my 87. It had BA-10/15 Peugeot transmission, so I wanted to swap it out for a AX-15. My uncle took over the entire process, told me everything was going good, then swapped in another Peugeot. So now I don't know what I want to do. Half of me says take it, and run the Peugeot into the ground. But on the other hand, it's looking better and better if I just sell it. Any advice?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:16 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by DesertRobot111
So a while back I posted here about the transmission in my 87. It had BA-10/15 Peugeot transmission, so I wanted to swap it out for a AX-15. My uncle took over the entire process, told me everything was going good, then swapped in another Peugeot. So now I don't know what I want to do. Half of me says take it, and run the Peugeot into the ground. But on the other hand, it's looking better and better if I just sell it. Any advice?
So...was it a used trans he swapped in? Does it run okay? How's the rest of the jeep?

If it's running good, pound it into the ground. It lasted this long, right?

If you have a ton of other issues, turn it. Not worth putting your heart and soul into a jeep you don't really want. Just be the better man and let the next guy know what's up. Karma's a *****.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:35 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: Inline-6

That's the thing though, I'm new to the jeep. I just bought it. It passed smog, it drove fine, was sitting at my Uncle's house while insurance and registration got straightened away, then had this problem out of nowhere. The previous owner, who was a close friend of my Uncle, doesn't want anything to do with it. He told us that it was a perfect running jeep. That he dumped a ton of money in it, got it lifted, worked on the interior, etc. He said that nothing under the hood ever need any work. So I don't know how the rest of the jeep is. It looks great, but that's all I know. I don't even know where they got the new Peugeot transmission though, or in what condition it's in. My Uncle bought it off of me cause he's acted as an intermediary for this whole process. He said he didn't want me throwing money and time into something we know nothing about. He said he'd handle it, try to get it fixed, and that I could drive around in one of his cars. Now come find out, after I've been busting my *** to find a working transmission for the damned thing, he's got it up in his godson's shop with another Peugeot tranny. But there's an entire separate side to this. Rob, his godson and the one working on the Jeep, knows I didn't want another Peugeot transmission in. My Uncle also knew. That's why he's had me looking around for an AX-15. I get a call yesterday from him saying that he's got a "good" transmission in it. I asked him if it was an AX-15 and he said yes. So I drove down to Rob's shop to check it out, and there's another Peugeot in it. No one's telling me what's going on, let alone where they got it. The damn thing isn't even running yet. They don't have a shifter for it. The shifter for the Peugeot that was in it, and the one they swapped in are different. But the Jeep's rightfully my Uncle's now. He told me that he'd let me know on any developing news. About what they're going to do before they do it. So I don't know what to do. Everyone I've talked to has said that those transmissions are crap. No one has had good opinions on them. I've been told they break down easily, they're hard to work on, parts are about as rare as gold, labor is extensive, basically that they're the worst things on the planet. So that's where I stand.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like it's not your Jeep anymore. I'd say cut your loses and go look for another with an AX15 from the factory.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

It may be a blessing in a disguise... Its your opportunity to go and find a factory equipped ax15 cherokee.

Not that hard at all to find
Old 03-07-2015, 12:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Battle
Sounds like it's not your Jeep anymore. I'd say cut your loses and go look for another with an AX15 from the factory.
X2.

Doesn't sound like it's worth the headache.