Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How would I protect my cherokee if I stored it outside?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default How would I protect my cherokee if I stored it outside?

Alright guys just thought id ask this just in case an axle dosent turn up for my 98 or I run out of time to put it in, what can I do to keep my cherokee from rusting any more then it has if I have to store it outside? Itd be sitting in my back yard, I was going to put a tarp over it and maybe park it on top of come ply wood but id like to know what else there would be to keep it safe from rusting anymore.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

nothing really... you'd have to eliminate the rust spots that are already there. the moisture in the air will do enough damage just by itself. you can put a tarp over it, but take it off if the sun is out.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

its a jeep. if anything just park under tree.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Tarps will tend to trap moisture under them, so make sure there will be some way for air to circulate. Put an open bag of Kingsford inside the vehicle to absorb any kind of funk that may be lurking.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Tarps will tend to trap moisture under them, so make sure there will be some way for air to circulate. Put an open bag of Kingsford inside the vehicle to absorb any kind of funk that may be lurking.
x2. a big bag of rice will do the trick too. a lesson i learned from storing my meat grinder blades.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

From my experience, put something underneath it. My Dad had a GMC that was parked outside and the underside got very rusty from the moisture coming out of the ground. Couple of sheets of plywood, even a tarp under it would help a lot.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:46 AM
CF Veteran

Alright if i have to ill throw a bag of rice in the four corners of the doors and one in the back hatch space, maybe put a tarp over it and park it on some plywood or something...this is just in case i cant go get this axle or something should turn up....im hoping it dosent because if it gets any rustier im not going to be able to afford to fix it, thanks for all the help so far guys, really apperciate it
Old 11-27-2010, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

Something else you can do is backwoods undercoat job. Every fall before it snows my dad takes a couple of quarts of old oil and thins it down with kerosene and then uses an old bug sprayer to undercoat all the cars. Helps keep them from rusting from Ohio's salty roads. Has worked very well for many years.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sgtskid
Something else you can do is backwoods undercoat job. Every fall before it snows my dad takes a couple of quarts of old oil and thins it down with kerosene and then uses an old bug sprayer to undercoat all the cars. Helps keep them from rusting from Ohio's salty roads. Has worked very well for many years.
Well I do have a15 quarts of old oil sitting around....so all you have to do is just mix it with kerosene? How much kerosene do you mix with if you dont mind me asking, ive herd of this as well before but wouldnt it work about the same if you sprayed the oil up there and just left it as is or is mixing it with kerosene help it stick to the underbody better?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sgtskid
I'm gonna try your dad's trick too.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0L

not exactly eco-friendly...but whatever floats your boat
Old 11-27-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6

Originally Posted by MickDime
not exactly eco-friendly...but whatever floats your boat
A cherokee isnt really eco-friendly either
Old 11-27-2010, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DUDE454
A cherokee isnt really eco-friendly either
good point.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XxXJ99xX
Alright if i have to ill throw a bag of rice in the four corners of the doors and one in the back hatch space, maybe put a tarp over it and park it on some plywood or something...this is just in case i cant go get this axle or something should turn up....im hoping it dosent because if it gets any rustier im not going to be able to afford to fix it, thanks for all the help so far guys, really apperciate it
Putting a tarp on it is the worst thing you can do if you don't want it to rust!!
Wash it and then wax it, do not wipe off the excess just leave it on until spring. Jack it up and put it on jack stands, remove the tires and put them inside. Do the rice to keep moisture out of the interior.
To keep the mice and critters out of the wiring get some moth ***** and put them in a pie plate and set it in the engine bay and the front and rear floor boards.
Do the stabil and run some trans fluid in the intake to oil the cylinders. Remove the battery and store it inside or put it on a battery tender.
If you do these things you should be fine to store your Cherokee for up to a year,
Old 11-28-2010, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
Putting a tarp on it is the worst thing you can do if you don't want it to rust!!
Wash it and then wax it, do not wipe off the excess just leave it on until spring. Jack it up and put it on jack stands, remove the tires and put them inside. Do the rice to keep moisture out of the interior.
To keep the mice and critters out of the wiring get some moth ***** and put them in a pie plate and set it in the engine bay and the front and rear floor boards.
Do the stabil and run some trans fluid in the intake to oil the cylinders. Remove the battery and store it inside or put it on a battery tender.
If you do these things you should be fine to store your Cherokee for up to a year,
Thanks alot for all the info, Theres some left over stabil in the garage from the camaro and i threw it in the tank about a month ago, i washed and waxed it but i did wipe off the coat of wax. How much rice do you think ill need? How much transfluid should i put int the intake (through the vacumme line?) And I think ill do all of this along with the home made undercoat and hopefully there will still be a floor left next year

Quick Reply: How would I protect my cherokee if I stored it outside?