Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6-cylinder
Default How much would U sell this for?

Hi,

I need to sell my Jeep. I was wondering if you as an enthusiast can help me price it as I keep getting mixed messages on it being over or under priced. Here are the stats and let me know if you have any other questions or if I should include any other info - thanks!!!

1995 White Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 Sale

straight (inline) 6 Cylinder / FT and PT 4WD / 238k miles
8 mth old tires
new muffler / new radiator
interior like new
heated side view mirrors / privacy glass
power front seats / power windows

----------------the bad--------------------------
needs new radio
enging top end needed (rebuilt or new head and gasket ) car can be bought for parts or for repair will negotiate.

Asking for $1800 - OBO.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Sounds good to me
Old 08-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Establish a resonable selling price IF the engine was good.
Subtract the cost (parts AND labor) of a head replacement.
Subtract a bit more for the hassle of dealing with a fixer.

That's the price.

Personally, I think you are a bit high but not unreasonable.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Well, I dont know much on going prices, but I do know some people price them high because its an I6 XJ. Whether or not youre doing that, I honestly dont know. I ALSO know that some people price them low because its an old gas-guzzler with high miles.

My cousin just bought a '96 with 244K that is in REALLY nice shape with Thule racks & kayak rack. Older couple owned it brand new, ALWAYS garaged it, NO RUST (and for a Maine vehicle of ANY kind that absolutely incredible), mint interior, etc. It needed a head gasket and heater core, thats the reason they sold it. ALWAYS had regular maintenance. The guy was a vet & the wife a retired college professor and they TOOK CARE of this thing. They said a few garages quoted them around $2K for both, so they sold it to him for $500 and they felt like they were ripping him off. They WANTED to give it to him (he was painting their house and they really liked him and his work) but he insisted on paying them the $500.

So, take it for what its worth. I know those situations dont come along every day, but if your motor needs top end work and thats the ONLY thing wrong with it (i.e., no rust, other little problems, etc.) and someone who CANT do the work is interested, theyre going to be into it for nearly $3K when all is said and done, and thats for a 16 year old vehicle with 240 thousand miles.

When you think of it like that, thats a REALLY high price in my opinion. Unless you can find an XJ lover who absolutely loves yours, I think youll have a hard time getting that.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by bigvig
Well, I dont know much on going prices, but I do know some people price them high because its an I6 XJ. Whether or not youre doing that, I honestly dont know. I ALSO know that some people price them low because its an old gas-guzzler with high miles.

My cousin just bought a '96 with 244K that is in REALLY nice shape with Thule racks & kayak rack. Older couple owned it brand new, ALWAYS garaged it, NO RUST (and for a Maine vehicle of ANY kind that absolutely incredible), mint interior, etc. It needed a head gasket and heater core, thats the reason they sold it. ALWAYS had regular maintenance. The guy was a vet & the wife a retired college professor and they TOOK CARE of this thing. They said a few garages quoted them around $2K for both, so they sold it to him for $500 and they felt like they were ripping him off. They WANTED to give it to him (he was painting their house and they really liked him and his work) but he insisted on paying them the $500.

So, take it for what its worth. I know those situations dont come along every day, but if your motor needs top end work and thats the ONLY thing wrong with it (i.e., no rust, other little problems, etc.) and someone who CANT do the work is interested, theyre going to be into it for nearly $3K when all is said and done, and thats for a 16 year old vehicle with 240 thousand miles.

When you think of it like that, thats a REALLY high price in my opinion. Unless you can find an XJ lover who absolutely loves yours, I think youll have a hard time getting that.
He came here for educated opinions and here you go calling it an XJ.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

not to bad i have seen worse sold for more.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by AKinHI
He came here for educated opinions and here you go calling it an XJ.
Yup, my bad. I honestly dont see "Grand" in most posts on this site because I think this is the "Cherokee" site, and I never refer to a Grand as just Cherokee, so its my bad.

As far as a ZJ price goes, I have no idea. Sorry.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Engine: i6 4.0L High Output

No offense, but i've seen 95 Grand Cherokees with 240k that sell for less than that and it was running.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 PM

Year: 1991

Here that would be a $650 ride. Or $12 a hundred.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by jeepdavetj
Here that would be a $650 ride. Or $12 a hundred.
up here they would ask $2000 for it as long as its not rusty. in houston maybe $600.