How many cranks does it take...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6
Default How many cranks does it take...

So as the weather's getting colder I'm noticing the Cherokee taking more and more cranks to get started. Just wondering, how much does it take to get yours started? Im at about 10-12 right now. Should I be looking into a new battery, possibly a fuel pump, or even a starter? Or should I just let her crank and see how far she goes?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Ever make that "quick run" to the store in the middle of a 5 degree night, of course without even wearing a proper jacket and have a battery go dead? That's when it will.

Have it load tested for piece of mind. Definately check the cables over.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:14 PM

Year: 97

yeah that's way to many.... 3 should be max
Old 11-19-2013, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDaze
yeah that's way to many.... 3 should be max
Yeah, it feels like too many. Thing is, the battery just got drained a week or so ago because my girlfriend moved it out of the driveway (I only told her a thousand times how to shut it off properly). It only took a minute to jump start, and the battery charged right back up with only a short drive around town (putting out a steady 13-14 amps). And it was already taking that many cranks before that.
So maybe fuel pump? I always give it a second to kick in before fully turning the key, but it still takes forever to start. And it doesn't do any better re-starting after a quick stop. It's got all new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I've never had a starter go out, but I was under the impression that when they go bad they just quit completely.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:49 PM

could be a number of things... weak battery, have it load tested... battery's are sometimes really goofy, I've went to no end trying to resolve an electrical problem once and it turned out, it was the battery ... even after it tested good...

could be the fuel pump/valve... have you tried putting the accel (key) on for a few seconds, then off, then on do this around 3 times and see if it will start up quickly...

if it starts still could be several things,(but prob. fuel pump) I'd also check the fuel rail pressure, bring it to pressure (high 40's) then leave engine off for a couple minutes and see if it will hold pressure and for how long.... there may also be a leak... etc, etc...

start with the small cheap stuff and work your way upward, many part stores will have testers you can use for free...
Old 11-19-2013, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Tip: turn key to on position, wait 10 seconds for it to prime with fuel, start engine.
Pretend it's a diesel.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDaze
have you tried putting the accel (key) on for a few seconds, then off, then on do this around 3 times and see if it will start up quickly
Do it once every time, haven't tried multiples. I'll hit up Advance and have them check the electrical for me as well.
How do you go about checking the pressure? I can look it up somewhere, but may as well ask here.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

Never cranked more than once in the 7 years I've owned it. I use the "turn key then wait 5 seconds before cranking" method though.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:50 PM

how long do you leave it on?? do like dan said leave it on for a length and see if that helps, if not do it multiple times around 4 seconds a time... There is a cap on the fuel rail (or should be) where the port is, around halfway point.. Get the pressure gauge from parts store remove cap, connect to port, start engine let it run for a minute should read high 40's I think (someone could chime exact numbers)... then turn it off and see how far it drops... shouldn't drop below 25+
Old 11-19-2013, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

are they slow cranks?
does sound like your battery is weak tho.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 PM

Just for clarity, I turn the key and wait til after the pump stops making noise (only about 2 seconds or so). I'll try leaving it on longer, then the multiple thing. I'll pressure test the fuel as well. And in all reality I'm gonna get a new battery regardless. I've had the Jeep about 2 months now, and I like the peace of mind that a 6-year battery with a 30 month warranty brings.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by caged
are they slow cranks?
does sound like your battery is weak tho.
The cranks are all the same, but it does seem to slip every now and then. I'm gonna start with the battery just because its the easiest and most likely. But I'm suspicious of my fuel delivery...
Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by OldLaredo
I'm gonna start with the battery just because its the easiest and most likely. ..
Good idea.

I replaced my battery right off the bat when I got my XJ a few years back as the one it was total junk.

New battery (Duracrap red top) only lasted 1&1/2 full years as my ex would constantly drain it, leaving lights on, back up fan, just to name a few. I've always said to never rely on a jump start to bring things back to normal and the fact that on these, the PCM regulates alternator output versus a built in regulator justifies it even more. Even still, I was never happy with the crank speed.

I finally broke down and got the Duralast Platinum last winter and have never been happier. Jeep even sat from May til last month, never started, fired right up. (and obviously I kicked the parasitic drawing ex to the curb too, lol)
Old 11-20-2013, 09:29 AM

I'm gonna go with Interstate MegaTron Plus. I've been very impressed with Interstates longevity in the past.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by dwright98xj
Good idea.

I replaced my battery right off the bat when I got my XJ a few years back as the one it was total junk.

New battery (Duracrap red top) only lasted 1&1/2 full years as my ex would constantly drain it, leaving lights on, back up fan, just to name a few. I've always said to never rely on a jump start to bring things back to normal and the fact that on these, the PCM regulates alternator output versus a built in regulator justifies it even more. Even still, I was never happy with the crank speed.

I finally broke down and got the Duralast Platinum last winter and have never been happier. Jeep even sat from May til last month, never started, fired right up. (and obviously I kicked the parasitic drawing ex to the curb too, lol)
Working for autozone, batteries are all about warranty. But to be honest, any lead acid battery that is discharged to the point where you can't start the vehicle would toast it.

Quick Reply: How many cranks does it take...