Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Homemade Diff Covers?

I am thinking my next project will have to be a set of diff covers. Looks like the standard is 3/8" mounting flange and 1/4" for the cover. I have an extra D30 I can use to fit up and weld the front cover on. I'll have to track down an 8.8 for the rear. I can weld it up without distorting the flange. Worst case, I can ask a machinist to machine the flange flat if it warps significantly. I'm open to advice on welding the cover to avoid warpage, but please don't tell me it can't be done.

A lot of the aftermarket covers I have seen do not have a drain plug. I would think folks would want that to check the fluid for water after a wheeling trip. I don't want to break the seal just to check the fluid for water. Is there a good reason there aren't drain plugs in many aftermarket covers? If it is concern of bashing it on rocks, I'm thinking about recessing the drain plug into a short section of pipe into the cover.

Does anyone have a CAD file for the mounting flange of a D30 and a 8.8? I can cut them out by hand, but it sure would be nice to get them cut on a plasma table. I know someone that has one in his garage.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

It sounds like a great idea. The only thing is that you may end up spending more on material, cutting, bending, welding, ect. then it would be to get one that is almost done. There are a few companies out there that have prefabbed covers that just need to be welded, and I think that they can incorporate a drain plug too. Unless you are getting all of the material and fab work done for free or next to nothing it might end up running you more. I tried looking online not too long ago and could not find any detailed cover drawings either.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

agreed.
why don't you start out with a set of diff guards. just as fun and a little bit easier.

as for welding a diff cover, i would use tig to keep the heat down.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

The big reason I want to make the diff covers is for a drain plug. I don't honestly do enough wheeling to be concerned about punching a hole in the cover, but if I am going to replace it I might as well make it bullet proof.

As far as cost. I have a local metal yard that sells scrap metal for $.70 a pound. Rough estimate puts cost at $21 for the 3/8 plate for both covers and I have some 1/4" in the shed. I have the welding/fab gear setup in my garage. Consumables will be the only cost there, and that is negligible.

I saw Blue Torch has the D30 mounting flange on their site for a fair price. I'd be willing to buy that piece to simplify prefab. Anyone know of a source for the 8.8 mounting flange?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:54 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Easy to add a drain plug, drill hole, tap hole, plug hole.

Make the flange for the 8.8 yourself, remove cover, place on your material, trace outside, center punch mount holes, then remove your cover and measure/draw your inside line, drill out center punched holes, and cut out the flange.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by roninofako
Easy to add a drain plug, drill hole, tap hole, plug hole.

Make the flange for the 8.8 yourself, remove cover, place on your material, trace outside, center punch mount holes, then remove your cover and measure/draw your inside line, drill out center punched holes, and cut out the flange.
Bingo. I'd even suggest using cardboard first to make a nice template.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Just to many available with drain plugs out there, I have 2 of them on mine.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Fred,

At no point did I say the aftermarket support was inadequate in terms of a drain plug. I'm not spending that kind of money on something I can EASILY make, and enjoy doing it. I was looking for some advice from people who have made their own. Also looking for input on why many covers do not have a drain.

roninofako,

I plan to use an old cover as a template to make the flange if I can't find the flange cheap.
If I can find the flange cheap enough, I don't mind being lazy.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

since you got a decent source for materials, and your fab gear, giver er a go. what do you have to lose?

you never know, you might just make the next best thing.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah giver a go. If it doesn't work you don't lose much besides a few bucks and a bit of time. If you do make a quality product, maybe you could sell some here haha
Old 12-16-2016, 10:36 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by bad_idea

roninofako,

I plan to use an old cover as a template to make the flange if I can't find the flange cheap.
Being lazy doesn't get **** done, though...if you have the tools and material, you could bang that flange out in an afternoon...easily. And, if you have a buddy with a table, get that file made then...people here don't have it, because most don't make theirs, they buy them...because at the price point for them, it makes more sense, not everyone has the tools or skills to do this. Those that do, are usually the ones looking to make the money. Just sayin. The following 2 quotes sum it up perfectly...
Originally Posted by caged
since you got a decent source for materials, and your fab gear, giver er a go. what do you have to lose?

you never know, you might just make the next best thing.
Originally Posted by Martlor13
Yeah giver a go. If it doesn't work you don't lose much besides a few bucks and a bit of time. If you do make a quality product, maybe you could sell some here haha
...and I agree. Get out there and do it! Post pics as you go, that way the info you were looking for and couldn't find, will be there for the next guy who's looking, too.

DO WORK SONLOL
Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Fred,

At no point did I say the aftermarket support was inadequate in terms of a drain plug. I'm not spending that kind of money on something I can EASILY make, and enjoy doing it. I was looking for some advice from people who have made their own. Also looking for input on why many covers do not have a drain.

roninofako,

If you can make one for about $60 I saw a few for that price when I was looking for mine, then your time and material cost must be worth very little. The ones for that price were cheaply made and not reinforced most all from off shore.

The reason most don't make them are cost vs. time/materials/welding skills. Most of the aftermarket covers have a higher capacity than stock covers and allow for increased fluid coverage (design) of the gears for off roading.

The reason for not having a drain on most all of them are few people drain the differentials as often as we do. Water gets into mine from water crossings, mud and snow in both. Yes I do have my vents extended the rear to the fuel filler and front to the upper firewall. Water still gets past the seals and I change it often it is cheap and no reason not to keep it clean. I still pull the covers every year to check the gears and lockers.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

TMR probably makes the toughest diff cover on the market, hands down and even they don't put in a drain plug. reason being, is as mentioned, you want to inspect the gears when you change your fluid. also, if you just drain through a plug, you won't get everything that's in there. even when using brake cleaner, so pulling the cover is a must.

TMR covers start at around 250 bux canadian.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

That's a nice cover. Never seen one by them before
Old 12-17-2016, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

they started out as a small hard parts machine shop close to my house, then moved into a much larger building due to high demand.
they are getting pretty big down in the states now with king of the hammers and such. their parts have been used on extreme 4x4 and bleepin jeep.

owned by two brothers, Tim and Mike Rogers. check out their stuff, it's probably the best in the world, seriously. top notch fabricators that is changing the whole industry.

you never know, bad idea could have a good idea and be the next tim and mike rogers.