Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

high pitched whinning

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default high pitched whinning

Wondering if anyone has dealt with these things.... when i start my jeep there is a high pitched whine then i will put it in gear and start to drive and when i press on the gas pedal and start to go it starts to shin again even if i am coasting down a hill it will whine when i stop at a stop sign it stops whining then when i take off it starts up again and whines. esp at 2000 rpms. after i drive in highway about 15 mins it starts to lessen and doesn't whine so high so much. i have had my power steering replaced cause i went out for awhile ani drove it without one for awhile and it didnt whine at all after i put a new one in it whines again. i am now on my third power steering pump and hoses and it still whines during those time. sunday my fliud leaked out and the whining stopped. anyone know why or what is going on???
Old 10-16-2017, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by asedlacek
Wondering if anyone has dealt with these things.... when i start my jeep there is a high pitched whine then i will put it in gear and start to drive and when i press on the gas pedal and start to go it starts to shin again even if i am coasting down a hill it will whine when i stop at a stop sign it stops whining then when i take off it starts up again and whines. esp at 2000 rpms. after i drive in highway about 15 mins it starts to lessen and doesn't whine so high so much. i have had my power steering replaced cause i went out for awhile ani drove it without one for awhile and it didnt whine at all after i put a new one in it whines again. i am now on my third power steering pump and hoses and it still whines during those time. sunday my fliud leaked out and the whining stopped. anyone know why or what is going on???
The accessory/fan belt on all these have to be fairly tight. More than most would feel is plenty tight enough...
Old 10-16-2017, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

High pitched whining? Remove wife from front seat.

Bugout has got it right, get youself a Krikit belt tension gauge and make sure your belt is at the proper torque.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
High pitched whining? Remove wife from front seat.

Bugout has got it right, get youself a Krikit belt tension gauge and make sure your belt is at the proper torque.
Lol... That's how I found out my belt was loose. It was still doing it after I left my wife at home.

Seriously though, I kept putting just a bit more on it little at a time until it stopped. I just knew it was going to snap before it quit slipping but it hasn't yet. These have got to be about the tightest I have dealt with...
Old 10-16-2017, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Lol... That's how I found out my belt was loose. It was still doing it after I left my wife at home.

Seriously though, I kept putting just a bit more on it little at a time until it stopped. I just knew it was going to snap before it quit slipping but it hasn't yet. These have got to be about the tightest I have dealt with...
Yea 200ft/lbs for a new belt. With out the tension gauge any rational person would be like “this is too tight”.