Old 11-20-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default HID specifics.

First post! Hello forum!

I have a few questions about HIDs,
specifically about this piece of kit: http://www.k2motor.com/lhp7x6jm-d.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cse

I'm not sure if it's a real projector or if it's just a reflector and I'm going to end up having to hack it apart and mod a new (and more expensive projector) into the housing...

I do like the look of the black dish though, I think they would look pretty slick on my white chero.

I found what looks like identical housings (except they say that they're glass) for sale ballpark $125 so I'm not sure if these are just stolen or knock-offs or what? (I couldn't find the link I found earlier though... sorry)

If this one sucks, I have a list of other questions I'd like to ask, but I'll save that till I get a response about these.

Thanks,
-Ian
Old 11-20-2011, 03:15 AM
AoA

Engine: 4.2L bored out 4.0L I6

those housings are garbage, i have two sets.
Check these guys out; http://www.norcalmr2.com/store/ they are REAL projectors and angles eyes.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Thank you!
If you don't mind I have a few questions about these...
Do these Pegasus projectors have a mechanical highbeam? (the little solenoid that moves the beam shield out of the way)
And how's the beam width?

There isn't much info about them online

Last edited by DrunkInTheGarage; 11-20-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-20-2011, 12:31 PM
AoA

if you click on the middle two pics a little bit from the top it takes you to a page full of pics and comparison pics of the lights, and i dont know about the high beams, only a couple specify about (only low beam) so i would have to assume there must be, try emailing them and asking about it
Old 11-20-2011, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

They're the fake projectors. No company would sell REAL projectors for anything less than $100.

The norcalMR2 housings are so/so. The issue with them is the fact that they're meant for Halogen bulbs, not HIDs. Also, they are low beam only. If you don't think you have the mad skills to retrofit, these are your best bet.

I'm working on my second retrofit with morimoto mini D2S projectors from theretrofitsource.com

They're compact, bi-xenon, and easy to use. My first retrofit was more of a R&D type thing lol, it all takes practice and time. If you have some money to blow, i'd recommend retrofitting some cheap H4 housings. You'll have the proper projector setup, bragging rights, and you can make it all your own. Matt from TRS will give you tons of advice and help. You can contact him on either HIDplanet.com or theretrofitsource.com
Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 PM
AoA

Originally Posted by 1996XJSport
They're the fake projectors. No company would sell REAL projectors for anything less than $100.

The norcalMR2 housings are so/so. The issue with them is the fact that they're meant for Halogen bulbs, not HIDs. Also, they are low beam only. If you don't think you have the mad skills to retrofit, these are your best bet.

I'm working on my second retrofit with morimoto mini D2S projectors from theretrofitsource.com

They're compact, bi-xenon, and easy to use. My first retrofit was more of a R&D type thing lol, it all takes practice and time. If you have some money to blow, i'd recommend retrofitting some cheap H4 housings. You'll have the proper projector setup, bragging rights, and you can make it all your own. Matt from TRS will give you tons of advice and help. You can contact him on either HIDplanet.com or theretrofitsource.com
what do you mean they arent ment for HIDs? When they are are sold together and shown with only HIDs. And theretrofitsource is great but on the expencive side, but for good reason
Old 11-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by AoA
what do you mean they arent ment for HIDs? When they are are sold together and shown with only HIDs. And theretrofitsource is great but on the expencive side, but for good reason
Those housings are crap. I've got a set and I put em back on the shelf, those housings are ment for HALOGEN lights. They are not ment for hid don't buy! Wast of money. If u do buy hid, make sure u buy bi-xenon so u have high and low beam. You must have projection housing made for hid lights otherwise u disperse the light everywhere. And u don't get the proper range.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:01 AM

Hmm, I didn't mean to start anything... although perhaps if you could get a video of your jeep up so we could see the beam pattern (high and low beam) this would be settled.

In my area I cannot do without high beams, 75% of the driving I do is winding back roads (south eastern Pa) and I need to see everything including a ways back into the trees ahead of me (for sneaky deer up on hills).

Just to avoid confusion, I'd like to focus on the NorCalMR2 lamps from this point on... unless you preface that you're bringing up the crappy $25 lamps.

EDIT: a quick question about the cheapies though, anyone think they would be a good starting point for a projector mod? I mean I don't think I can get the housings any cheaper than that...

Last edited by DrunkInTheGarage; 11-21-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: eid
Old 11-21-2011, 02:42 AM

Ok well im gonna say, buy what your gonna buy. you dont have to listen to anyone. its your choice. but. the first housings are crap. the second housing the norcalmr2 lights are basically the crappy housing cut out with proper HID projection housing bolted in. You could do it yourself. they sell kits on ebay for the proper HID projection unites. you just have to buy the right wiring harness along with the housing to slip it into. and take the time to modify it.

you could use any slip in HID housing for a H4 buld from say a motorcycle or any other vehicle. or you could do the same that they did on the MR2.

Example for slip in hid projection for a motorcycle.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-H...t_10500wt_1141

car just bulbs/ballasts h4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-Dark-Blue...ht_4144wt_1142

another
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G3-2-8-H1-H7...ht_4910wt_1142

basically the MR2 ones already did the work for you. they just take the halogen projectors and slip in the Hid projector housing already for you. The only down side from their deal is they ARE NOT BI-XENON meaning no high beam. their bi=xenon option they are asking $330 for you can buy a set of bi-xenons on ebay for $150 including the ballasts.

do some more research before you buy. there are hundreds of places the describe how they work/videos. good luck.

sorry if sites dont work soon they are just links... for quick examples.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 PM

@Svrider: Thanks a ton, I did kind of feel like the MR2 housings looked a LOT like the cheapie housings... I'm pretty handy with a dremel and a heat gun, so I shouldn't have any trouble fabing up my own lamps.

I guess I'll steer this thread into specific projectors, if that's okay?
and I've heard of a lot of problems with those slim ballasts, anyone else have more experience with this?

EDIT: oh and am I correct in assuming that the solenoid that lifts the beam shield connects inline with the high beam wire?

Last edited by DrunkInTheGarage; 11-21-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:27 AM

no problem, good luck on it. Like to see pics of what you do.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Originally Posted by DrunkInTheGarage
@Svrider: Thanks a ton, I did kind of feel like the MR2 housings looked a LOT like the cheapie housings... I'm pretty handy with a dremel and a heat gun, so I shouldn't have any trouble fabing up my own lamps.

I guess I'll steer this thread into specific projectors, if that's okay?
and I've heard of a lot of problems with those slim ballasts, anyone else have more experience with this?

EDIT: oh and am I correct in assuming that the solenoid that lifts the beam shield connects inline with the high beam wire?
Go ahead, I know quite a bit about projectors.

Slim ballasts aren't bad as long as they're from a reputable company.

Yes the cutoff shield solenoid connects to the high beam wire.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:48 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

i plan on buying... http://www.blindinghid.com/b2.php?bulb=H4 with 50 watt premium ballast and having http://www.norcalmr2.com/store/ to put them in. is this possible? and will i need a new wire harness to handle this?and is there any other information i need to know?? thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 AM

From what I've heard, there is little benefit from 50w over 35w.
I personally decided to wait a bit on this till I feel comfortable building my own housing/projector setup... Headlights are sort of important to me. :P

BTW I think those NorCalMR2 lenses do not have cutoff shields in the projectors, it's hard to tell though. If you do get them please take lots of pictures before and after you install! (or video even better!)

Last edited by DrunkInTheGarage; 12-02-2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I run HIDs on my E30 BMW (H1 projectors since 1988!) and yes 55W are brighter but they're not _all that_ compared with a 35W setup. 35W is great unless you're lighting up an emergency runway or making shadow shapes on the moon

H4 Halogen (standard fit in the UK) is OK. It's not fantastic but it's good enough. I did look at fitting some H4 HIDs but I couldn't find any projector housings that were shallow enough to replace the reflectors without cutting the panel behind the light housings.. so I didn't bother.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID specifics.