Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help a noob out

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help a noob out

I hunt and fish, but at most I do light offroading. Mostly dirt roads with some muddy ruts that can be avoided. The main reason for getting an SUV is my 90-pound dog. This will be a third vehicle, I also have a chevy 1500 4wd single cab. The dog is just too big in the little mazda sedan I currently drive. I want something that I can put him in the cargo area so all of my seats are not covered in dog hair.

I already have a truck, so this will be a DD and around town vehicle. Nothing too far from home, but reliability is still a huge concern. Obviously, the jeep appeals to me a lot more than something like a CRV, but I don't use 4wd much if ever.

My main concern is picking up an old jeep and never being able to drive it without spending a fortune on maintenance. Top contender was a Toyota 4runner, but the price for used is just outrageous around here. I don't have a lot of mechanical experience, but would be happy to learn what I can online.

Does a Cherokee fit or would I get more bang for my buck from an old Honda CRV? Budget is 5k
Old 12-14-2016, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

For 5k there is no reason you can't have a great do it all rig. I use mine for hunting and exploring with my dogs. Does everything I want and more. Cherokees are way better priced than any Toyota. And part are less. Engines better. Vehicles simpler. Superior in every way in my opinion.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I was in a similar situation. I had a single cab rwd truck and needed something for hunting/fishing/winter. I went with a Cherokee.

Name:  ForumRunner_20161214_120254.png
Views: 376
Size:  439.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20161214_120222.png
Views: 213
Size:  354.9 KB

Plenty of room for my 80 lb dog and gear.

As for reliability... The Cherokees are very reliable so long as you keep up with maintenence. These are old vehicles, the newest XJ you can get is 15 years old. They all need something. As long as you are prepared and willing to work on them from time to time, they will serve you well. I didn't have a ton of mechanical experience either (and I still don't) but it's been a great platform to learn on. Between my repair manual, this forum, and Youtube I have been able to figure everything out.

With a 5k budget, I say go with the XJ. If you have a mechanically inclined buddy, ask them to go with you when you look one over.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Get an XJ cause then you get to hang out with us.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 4BangerDanger
I was in a similar situation. I had a single cab rwd truck and needed something for hunting/fishing/winter. I went with a Cherokee.

Attachment 297235

Attachment 297234

Plenty of room for my 80 lb dog and gear.

As for reliability... The Cherokees are very reliable so long as you keep up with maintenence. These are old vehicles, the newest XJ you can get is 15 years old. They all need something. As long as you are prepared and willing to work on them from time to time, they will serve you well. I didn't have a ton of mechanical experience either (and I still don't) but it's been a great platform to learn on. Between my repair manual, this forum, and Youtube I have been able to figure everything out.

With a 5k budget, I say go with the XJ. If you have a mechanically inclined buddy, ask them to go with you when you look one over.
Finally seeing replies. I'm going through your build thread. Only difference between you and I is you actually get snow haha. Love your jeep.

Edit:
Into your build thread and seeing what your saying about mechanical failure

Last edited by clemson; 12-14-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by clemson
Finally seeing replies. I'm going through your build thread. Only difference between you and I is you actually get snow haha. Love your jeep.

Edit:
Into your build thread and seeing what your saying about mechanical failure
Thanks!

Haha yeah, I've had my share of problems. Some of my issues, like the broken valve springs, were very rare. Guess I'm just lucky that way... I wouldn't let that be your deciding factor IMO as it is highly unlikely you would ever have to deal with that.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:56 PM

Forgot to ask, I prefer an automatic. Is that going to net me additional problems? Should I stay with a manual?
Old 12-14-2016, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Your top contender was a 4runner? They have lots of problems in my experience.not nearly as reliable as an xj
Old 12-14-2016, 01:23 PM

Something like this would be awesome:
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5905766910.html
Old 12-14-2016, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Forgot to ask, I prefer an automatic. Is that going to net me additional problems? Should I stay with a manual?
The AW4 is just as tough and reliable as the 4.0, the only common problem with it (that I can think of) is the NSS (neutral safety switch) which will come out of adjustment or lose electrical conductivity causing various problems from not starting in park to no reverse lights. Fortunately it's not incredibly difficult to remove clean and adjust, it is however quite expensive to replace if you break it just be careful and you'll be fine.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by PNWjeeper
The AW4 is just as tough and reliable as the 4.0, the only common problem with it (that I can think of) is the NSS (neutral safety switch) which will come out of adjustment or lose electrical conductivity causing various problems from not starting in park to no reverse lights. Fortunately it's not incredibly difficult to remove clean and adjust, it is however quite expensive to replace if you break it just be careful and you'll be fine.
The jeep I seen on CL mentioned they had the NSS completely out, but include a new one with the purchase of the jeep. Whats your take on that?
Old 12-14-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Get an XJ cause then you get to hang out with us.
Would you consider anything other than an XJ? Just curious!
Old 12-14-2016, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Not really. Did the 76-79 CJ's for yrs but they're a different beast all together. IMHO the XJ is the only utilitarian SUV that's readily available. Easy to work on,relatively uncomplicated,cheap parts are everywhere,and they're tough as nails even in stock condition.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look for a 91-99 4.0 auto the most clean and virgin jeep you can find and afford.Mileage if taken care of don't matter we have a lot of jeeps on here 200k plus and some in the 300k range.Skip the 00-01 years jeep put a cylinder head on those that is known for cracking if it overheats unless they can prove its had the head changed on it.Common rust areas are the rock panels the metal under the doors and the whole floor pan can rust out also.And if your in a nothern state that uses salt check the rear half of the frame rails for rust also.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

The AW4 is a very strong, capable transmission. The NSS thing is a relatively minor issue. I have nearly 180K on mine with no NSS problem at all. A few people who have broken them trying to remove them for cleaning have found usable replacements in the junk yard that worked just fine once cleaned up, so even the expense of a new one isn't necessarily an obstacle.

Something like this would be awesome:
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5905766910.html
That's a 2001. If you're new to XJs, you may want to avoid 2000-2001 XJs and stick with 1999 and earlier. The '00 and '01 XJs used the 0331 heads, some of which had a casting flaw that made them susceptible to cracking between the #3 and #4 cylinders. Not all of them crack, but enough do that you need to be aware of it to avoid buying a lemon.

If you're willing to do the research and educate yourself about the 0331 head and what to do about it, it can be a manageable issue. If you don't know about it, it can result in serious engine damage.

Also, that guy says the NSS is throwing the code, but I wouldn't ever take a seller's word for what's causing a CEL. Take your own scanner and pull the code yourself. If you don't have one, you can always make a trip to the local parts store part of your test drive to get them to scan it for free.

Would you consider anything other than an XJ? Just curious!
Isuzu Vehicross. Not because it's anywhere near as capable as an XJ, but because it's a freakin' weird thing.

If we're sticking with practical, my folks have a Yukon that's built like a tank. My mom uses it to transport two dogs, a macaw and a load of groceries to their lake house every week.

Last edited by extrashaky; 12-14-2016 at 07:15 PM.