HELP ME GUYS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter I-6
Exclamation HELP ME GUYS!!!!

OK so this hose broke and I'm pretty sure it's a coolant line but idk what it's called or anything I need to know so I can fix it asap it happened and it barely overheated but if any of you know what it is it would be greatly appreciated thanks!
OK it will not let me upload a pic but it's the hose just to the left of the Valve cover and it goes into a connector connecting about 5 hoses

Last edited by Etrain16; 08-02-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Etrain16
OK. So this hose broke and I'm pretty sure it's a coolant line but idk what it's called or anything. I need to know so I can fix it asap. When it happened it barely overheated but if any of you know what it is I would greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks!
first, i fixed your post to be more legible. then i criticized you for not posting pics or providing us with ANY real info! no year, engine, or location or description of issue. for example, the upper radiator hose is leaking, blah, blah, blah... if your are uncertain of names and descriptions, post pics!

oh yeah, you posted it in the wrong section, too.. this would be an oem tech issue. but dont create another thread, ask mods to move it if no help is received..
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter I-6

Sorry man I'm pretty new to the forum
Old 08-03-2013, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The way i do pictures is photobucket.com its free just sign up,And once you upload the photo there copy and paste the img link in any forum.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

It sounds like the heater diverter valve. It is very common for these to break, the plastic gets brittle over time and then cracks if any pressure is applied (hit, moving/pulling on hoses, etc.). You can just splice the hoses that come from the front of the engine together, or loop one of the hoses from the tube that comes from the water pump to the hose nipple on the thermostat housing temporarily, or cap them both off to stop it from leaking as long as you don't need heat. You should probably replace the heater hoses too if they are as old as the valve.

Here's a link to the part:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6860

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...272_0069257487
Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by dmill89
It sounds like the heater diverter valve. It is very common for these to break, the plastic gets brittle over time and then cracks if any pressure is applied (hit, moving/pulling on hoses, etc.). You can just splice the hoses that come from the front of the engine together, or loop one of the hoses from the tube that comes from the water pump to the hose nipple on the thermostat housing temporarily, or cap them both off to stop it from leaking as long as you don't need heat. You should probably replace the heater hoses too if they are as old as the valve.

Here's a link to the part:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6860

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...272_0069257487
Don't do that.

What you want to do is bypass the heater control valve. Instead of the 4 hoses total and the crappy plastic valve, you'll only have 2. One from the thermostat housing to heater core and the other from water pump to heater core. And then plug the vacuum line that is currently on the heater control valve.

They did away with the HCV in the later models of the XJ once they realized what a crappy design it was. So don't replace it, unless you want to replace it again in the near future. Do away with it. I did about 10 or so months ago and haven't looked back