Help me decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Default Help me decide!!

I have a 01 2wd xj and i want to convert it and lift it. I will have about 500 bucks after i sell my bike hopefully and a job this summer so i will have income to blow off.

Here's the deliema. I can either get the componets needed for the swap so new axle t-case etc. or i can get a rubicon express 4.5 lift kit by trading all my stock components for it and 300 cash or OBO.

Which should i do??
Old 04-04-2010, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242

Ide get the lift!!! DUH! that kinda shouldve been a no-brainer! No-offense though...
and offer them $200-250

Cause then youde be getting a 4.5 RE lift for $250 which would be a KILLER DEAL!!!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Its kinda stupid getting 2 Jeeps that are stock...
AND THEN having to spend even MORE money to make one of them equal to the other!!! ...makes no sense...

get the lift...you will appreciate it ALOT more...IMO
Old 04-04-2010, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Oh i know...i just have so much crap going on in my head right now its not even funny regarding my plans with this thing and how i'm going to convince the rents to let me.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Still!! You will kick yourself later...get the lift....then do whatever side project you want. trust me.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

ya i know i probably will
Old 04-04-2010, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

I had a deal come around and IM GLAD I went through with it!!

I got all this for $600 dollars:

4 new doors
2 new fenders
my front and rear custom bumpers made from 1/4" thick steel
front skid/reinforcment plate
extra set of wheels and tires
as well as my NEW RC lift!

like I said, when a deal comes around, GRAB IT!!! A friend of mine had just bought all this stuff for his cherokee...but it had MASSIVE floor rot...and it sat for 1 1/2 years, just like the parts....after that time, he came to me and asked if I wanted it all for $600....the rest speaks for itself.
My friend still regrets it till this day....I feel sorry for him, but GLAD AS HELL for myself.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

The problem now is letting my parents let me do this since they wont let me do anything to it. Since its a "2wd"
Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Ooooooh! The one you have now is a 2wd...
My bad...thought it was 4wd already.
I thought you were gonna buy a 2wd XJ instead of a lift for a 4wd...
If you can get the money for it...and can do it yourself. Then by all means, do the 4wd conversion!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

I plan on doin the 4wd swap regardless. but its in the order in which i do. lift kit first, then 4wd swap or swap then lift kit. I think this lift kit is a good deal so i may do the kit first
Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

yeah, if both are gonna be done, regardless....def get the lift first, just cause thats an awesome deal! And then do the conversion afterwards.
But before you start taking the 2wd apart, make sure you ABSOLUTELY have everything thats needed for the job! LOL, been down that road before, where Im halfway done and I forgot something...sucks...

But definitely man go for it!!!
Youre gonna have yourself one bad @ss XJ afterwards!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

I talked with the guy about the lift says its about 2 yrs old. Comes with everything i need. Only thing is i need to get new brake lines and bushings for the LCA's. NO biggie for those things. It still sound good of a deal? $250 the stock leaf springs and shackles?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by XJs-R-us
Still!! You will kick yourself later...get the lift....then do whatever side project you want. trust me.
Um, his first post says it's a 2WD. Why would you lift a 2WD? Beside the fact that the lift is most likely for a 4WD and so may not be entirely compatible.

If you ask me, I'd get into a 4WD setup FIRST, then I'd start modifying from there. Weigh out your options, cost, etc and determine if it's more cost effective to convert your 2WD to 4WD, or to just sell it and buy one with 4WD. You'll come out better in the end if you start with the right platform, in my opinion.

EDIT: My bad, I just realized later in the thread you found out it's 2WD. That's what I get for post skimming. Carry on.

Last edited by Brad M.; 04-05-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tankerblade
I talked with the guy about the lift says its about 2 yrs old. Comes with everything i need. Only thing is i need to get new brake lines and bushings for the LCA's. NO biggie for those things. It still sound good of a deal? $250 the stock leaf springs and shackles?

Yeah...the brake lines & LCA bushings are no biggie...
But... Are you saying you still have to buy the leafs & shackles?
If you do..its still a one helluva great deal! As the leafs only cost $175
So, even if you had to buy those, plus $250...it only be $375..A savings of $675 over the kit (brand new)

And you also said that the lift is 2y.o. That shouldnt really make a difference... My RC lift, is around that, and still running strong...

I still say go for it.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Brad M.
Um, his first post says it's a 2WD. Why would you lift a 2WD? Beside the fact that the lift is most likely for a 4WD and so may not be entirely compatible.

If you ask me, I'd get into a 4WD setup FIRST, then I'd start modifying from there. Weigh out your options, cost, etc and determine if it's more cost effective to convert your 2WD to 4WD, or to just sell it and buy one with 4WD. You'll come out better in the end if you start with the right platform, in my opinion.

EDIT: My bad, I just realized later in the thread you found out it's 2WD. That's what I get for post skimming. Carry on.
Well the fact is its going to get converted. Period. I got this vehicle for free pretty much from a late family member. i dont want to sell it for that reasonplus It only has 90k, no rust. No damage (besides the crossmember). Runs like a champ and i know what its history has been for the past 70k miles.

As for the lift everything is compatable. The axle is in the same spot utilizes the same points, brackets, hardware etc. The only thing i would have to worry about is the vibes from the tranny if there are any.
All the parts are the same in both a 4wd and 2wd minus the axle tranny and t-case and driveshafts. There's nothing different between the two that i know of.

So since its going to get converted regardless whether its this summer or in a year why not get a cheap lift while you can? 250 for a $1100 lift is i think worth it...Plus i'll have more clearance between me and the stupid arizona rock.

Originally Posted by XJs-R-us
Yeah...the brake lines & LCA bushings are no biggie...
But... Are you saying you still have to buy the leafs & shackles?
If you do..its still a one helluva great deal! As the leafs only cost $175
So, even if you had to buy those, plus $250...it only be $375..A savings of $675 over the kit (brand new)

And you also said that the lift is 2y.o. That shouldnt really make a difference... My RC lift, is around that, and still running strong...

I still say go for it.
Lol sorry if im not really clear. I get the kit in exchange for 250 plus my stock leafs and shackles

Quick Reply: Help me decide!!