HELP decide on new lift!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default HELP decide on new lift!!

Ok so I bought a 3 inch rough county and installed it had for about 4 months and still have death woble. when i realized I didn't get or install longer front bottom arms on in. Now looked them up and 99.00 plus shippiing. So the gf and I are debating on buy new lift and going bigger. like 4.5 or 6.5 and be done with it. We realize would need gears and tires again, but yeah that happens. Now the decision is to go with the long arm or not. This is where you we need help! what is the advantage and down falls to long arm? and should we go with 6.5 or 4.5 we are trying to not break the bank but be very capable in the jeep and still go just about anywhere. we were looking at rough county for pricing. Now if there are any better ideas for makes of lift to get best bang for our buc. this is the thrid jeep we have had and 2nd cherokee.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2010, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

The lifting is a Partial cause of DW, further lifting will only make it worse. Fix the DW, FIRST, then lift.
Causes are worn parts, Ball joints, TRE's, Bushings, tire balance, alignment, steering box, bearings, basically anything or everything connected to the axle.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6 4.0

Originally Posted by 93gc40
The lifting is a Partial cause of DW, further lifting will only make it worse. Fix the DW, FIRST, then lift.
Causes are worn parts, Ball joints, TRE's, Bushings, tire balance, alignment, steering box, bearings, basically anything or everything connected to the axle.
agreed but for the lift when you decide to do it i would say if you dont wheel super hard to save money buy a short arm yes long arms are great but a lot more money
good luck fixin death wobble man mine was super bad tires and now i need an alignment to completely fix it but its not bad now so im dealing with it
Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

The purpose of a lift is to allow for the fittment of bigger tires. bigger tire are what give you more ground clearance. What size tires do you intend to run? Are you willing to trim the body?

Me, I would lift the least amount I can to run the tires I want. I see no purpose in any lift over 5" on a XJ. Long Arms or at least CADs are a must for any lift over 4".
Old 07-24-2010, 01:42 PM

we want to switch in between 35"s and 33's and not have any probs. we already trimmed it some just dont want to go crazy on cutting it up. we would like to go to moab for sure. and be able to go to almost any park and not have ttrouble.

For the dw we bought brand new tires and rims had them balanced atleast 4 times the tires plus dealer just keeps saying there nothing wrong with the tires. I no one of the axle shaft joints is bad, so going to fix that and see if that fixes it. tires plus said that there is nothing lose at all except the bad axle joint.

p.s rims i wanted just cause lmao
Old 07-24-2010, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 93gc40
The purpose of a lift is to allow for the fittment of bigger tires. bigger tire are what give you more ground clearance. What size tires do you intend to run? Are you willing to trim the body?

Me, I would lift the least amount I can to run the tires I want. I see no purpose in any lift over 5" on a XJ. Long Arms or at least CADs are a must for any lift over 4".
X2 100%. i have a 4.5 short arm and i regret not doing a long arm every time i'm riding trails. and it IS the best idea to do the shortest amount of lift possible for the size of tires that you want. bigger tires smooth out your trail ride and make it possible to go over bigger obstacles, not to mention give you true ground clearance. in the same time, they make your highway ride less stable. you have to keep in mind that you have to go as much out as you go up to maintain your stability. a 3" lift and 31s add about 3.5" of rollover leverage to your vehicle. that's 3(lift) + 2.5(increase in tire size from hub to the ground) - 2(1" width per side compared to your stock tires).
so if you're gonna do this setup, the best idea is to get some wheel with about 3.5-3.75" backspasing. just my 2 cents.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tural
X2 100%. i have a 4.5 short arm and i regret not doing a long arm every time i'm riding trails. and it IS the best idea to do the shortest amount of lift possible for the size of tires that you want. bigger tires smooth out your trail ride and make it possible to go over bigger obstacles, not to mention give you true ground clearance. in the same time, they make your highway ride less stable. you have to keep in mind that you have to go as much out as you go up to maintain your stability. a 3" lift and 31s add about 3.5" of rollover leverage to your vehicle. that's 3(lift) + 2.5(increase in tire size from hub to the ground) - 2(1" width per side compared to your stock tires).
so if you're gonna do this setup, the best idea is to get some wheel with about 3.5-3.75" backspasing. just my 2 cents.

X2 my wheels are 3.75 backspacing already i thought before i bought them for what i wanted.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 PM

take a look at my treads on a lift. IRO 6.5 will clear 33's with minor trimming. but go long arm. the ride is much better.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by n_a_i_w
take a look at my treads on a lift. IRO 6.5 will clear 33's with minor trimming. but go long arm. the ride is much better.
Wow dude i never saw those lifts before they look nuts. I think i might of just talk the gf into going all the way up a 8.5 with a 8.8 and 44. now hopefully i can keep her talked into it and wait for the tax checks again lol.