Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP with 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HELP with 4WD

Hello! my town had a bad winter storm a few days ago and the roads are snowy and icy! needless to say 4WD is required almost everywhere.

I have a 1997 jeep cherokee and to put it into 4WD put it in neutral and do the whole reverse thing just to be safe. BUT, when I do so in 4HI and 4LO the "part-time" light comes on. HOW DO I PUT IT INTO FULL TIME??

also I've heard part-time is bad to drive in?

PLEASE HELP!
Old 01-05-2017, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Does it actually have a full time tcase? What are the options on the shifter bezel?

The full-time case was an option, most likely you just have a part-time case. It's okay to have it in for high on the road, as long as the surface isn't dry, need to allow some wheel slip.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

You don't have full time 4wd. There's nothing wrong with driving in part-time 4wd in the proper conditions.

Last edited by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ; 01-05-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:14 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014
Old 01-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Here's where it gets a little confusing in the Jeep/4x4 world.

"PART TIME" means you should use this option "PART TIME" as it's the full 4 wheel drive setting. Both front and rear axles are being powered at the same power rate from the engine. This will cause the driveline to "bind up" on DRY pavement. Use "PART TIME" for Snow, sand, mud, loose gravel etc.

"FULL TIME" means you can drive around all day in this mode. The front and rear axles are sent only as much power as they need and are allowed to rotate at different speeds as needed.
"FULL TIME" can be driven all the time if you want to burn more gas. I prefer FULL TIME on icy roads and after the plows have been through. Or basically from December to March around here.

Also, no need to back up when selecting 4HI. Just pull the lever up, let off the gas for a second and it switches (sometimes. More use makes it work better.). The backing up part was for 4x4s with automatic locking hubs.

231 Transfer Case only offers 4HI/4LOW "PART TIME".
242 Transfer Case offers 4HI/4LOW "PART TIME" and "FULL TIME".

I really simplified this alot. Please don't jump all over me old-timers.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by diskman
Here's where it gets a little confusing in the Jeep/4x4 world.

"PART TIME" means you should use this option "PART TIME" as it's the full 4 wheel drive setting. Both front and rear axles are being powered at the same power rate from the engine. This will cause the driveline to "bind up" on DRY pavement. Use "PART TIME" for Snow, sand, mud, loose gravel etc.

"FULL TIME" means you can drive around all day in this mode. The front and rear axles are sent only as much power as they need and are allowed to rotate at different speeds as needed.
"FULL TIME" can be driven all the time if you want to burn more gas. I prefer FULL TIME on icy roads and after the plows have been through. Or basically from December to March around here.

Also, no need to back up when selecting 4HI. Just pull the lever up, let off the gas for a second and it switches (sometimes. More use makes it work better.). The backing up part was for 4x4s with automatic locking hubs.

231 Transfer Case only offers 4HI/4LOW "PART TIME".
242 Transfer Case offers 4HI/4LOW "PART TIME" and "FULL TIME".

I really simplified this alot. Please don't jump all over me old-timers.
One of the best descriptions I have ever seen.