Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L V6
Default Which head unit to buy...?

Hey all,

I want a new head unit as my cassette tape adapter w/ ipod is getting on my nerves and I have no am/fm radio functionality.

I'm looking for...

-ipod control (preferably with some better means of getting from a to z than most seem to have)
-ipod connection in the REAR of the receiver
-bluetooth (for phone calls only, music steaming is not mandatory)

That's it....I am looking at the following models (below), and wanted to know if anyone has a different unit in their Jeep. With regards to the bluetooth calling, I just want to make sure that if I spend the extra money for bluetooth that is works well, and can be used regularly without problems on either end. With regard to the ipod, again as already mentioned I want to make sure navigation is not only easy, but efficient, and trouble free.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT94...w&rvm=ShowAllt

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_500CDA1...5.html?tp=5684

second option has no bluetooth built in but is added down the road for $150 which I'm not thrilled about...first option has no effective ipod navigation for getting from the A's to the Z's for example.

Any suggestions/thoughts appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Good units available from Sony, Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, etc. Bread and butter units with the features you listed. Can get for under $200 at retail. More$ gets additional features you may want to have but don't need. It's a want vs need decision. I run a sony Xplod head, works a ok for last 3 years in all conditions, new is mtx sub and amp to add some base to the 5.25 speakers. Sony has front input, my daughter plugs in the ipod no problem, I like the front USB for my songs on memory stick, am/fm, and good running cd. The new models have blue tooth. Go shopping and play with the sound board in the stores.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I say go with the alpine, I have never had any problems with there gear. Also, its cheaper and later on down the road you can buy a blue tooth to FM-transmitter adapter so you can move it from car to car, last I saw them it was cheaper than the Alpine adapter, and you if you wanted, you could have the option of bluetooth streaming later on.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Pioneer
Old 12-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
Pioneer
which one?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

You want the best or just one that does what you need?

Find what you want on Crutchfield and buy it on Ebay or somewhere else.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:55 AM

Pioneer has always been my ncoice been running it for about 11 years just finishing off putting a double din dvd in my cherokee. Pioneer only has one problem the cd's stick a little but thats it alpine fail all the time we are constantly changing them out for pioneer jvc has come a long way with their decks as well and their ipod control is very user friendly as is the sony pioneer has a sound retreval system though which will improve the sound of the songs on your ipod which you lose when transfering the data. I'd recomend this one if your lookin for a good deck for a decent price http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...4c0fcb7f7aen02 with all the single din decks you'll find all search functions for ipod will require more attention than a touch screen video deck but unless you want to deal with major mods inside they will all be a little tough to search on. http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...49a248c722en02 this is another good one the only downside is the small screen and you have to occupie one of the two usb inputs to use the bluetooth but a good deck none the less.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 PM

I remember reading about one that skips your lists of music in 10% increments....not sure which I'd have to go look back at the few that initially sparked my interest but I guess something else about that unit prevented me from listing it in the original post.

I also want to make sure that whatever bluetooth route I go has good enough audio quality on both ends so that I can actually use it regularly. I hate the idea of buying one and then realizing that the call quality is very mediocre and I get people asking me to take them off the hands free.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:09 PM
aj6
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

a nother vote for pionner, this is the one i have
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/DEH-P5200HD

this does have the ipod stuff, i dont use it cuz i dont have one ( i know im not cool )

also want to make sure that whatever bluetooth route I go has good enough audio quality on both ends so that I can actually use it regularly. I hate the idea of buying one and then realizing that the call quality is very mediocre and I get people asking me to take them off the hands free.
the bluetooth works VERYYY well i use this alot. im half deaf ( no joke ) and i can hear what the other people are saying and they can hear me too.. and if you have there name in your phone, it will stop the song and put the NAME of the person thats call AND! you dont have to anzer from your phone you can hit the button on the deck to pick up

i got this deck for $120 off ebay ( if you want to go that way ) i would deff buy another one!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by aj6
a nother vote for pionner, this is the one i have
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/DEH-P5200HD

this does have the ipod stuff, i dont use it cuz i dont have one ( i know im not cool )

the bluetooth works VERYYY well i use this alot. im half deaf ( no joke ) and i can hear what the other people are saying and they can hear me too.. and if you have there name in your phone, it will stop the song and put the NAME of the person thats call AND! you dont have to anzer from your phone you can hit the button on the deck to pick up

i got this deck for $120 off ebay ( if you want to go that way ) i would deff buy another one!

2 things....
I'd have to buy the bluetooth adapter for another $150+/- on ebay
AND from what I understand the ipod connects to the front- I want a rear usb connection to stash my ipod away. It'd be nice if it also had a front input either 3.5 or usb so when I want to charge and use my iphone I can do that also. I am torn between a couple but none of them are really blowing my mind with their features.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:20 PM
aj6
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

I'd have to buy the bluetooth adapter for another $150+/- on ebay
adapter? something you need to have it work with your I phone?
Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 PM

no on the product page it states you need the optional bluetooth adapter which is approx $150 on ebay
Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by 96ChairOhKey
no on the product page it states you need the optional bluetooth adapter which is approx $150 on ebay
well i dont know what apadter your talking about but the pionner works without it.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 PM

in the link to the head unit you sent.....it says

"Use the available CD-BTB200 Bluetooth Adapter and Bluetooth-enabled cellular phones...."
Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say pioneer too. I have had them in all my jeeps and they are great. Simple to use and decent power.

Quick Reply: Which head unit to buy...?