Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Harbor Freight Tools

Hey guys!

My loving gramps passed this weekend and passed all his tools onto me.

I've got a couple questions about tools. Im a weekend warrior when it comes to fixing things, i dont use tools for work. Everything i received was either garbage, or pieced together so i atleast was a full set of sockets, wrenches, ect.

My questions is are harbor freight tools reliable? Everything i've heard said they are decent tools for the price. I know tools are not something to skimp out on, and i dont plan on having these forever as i will eventually replace them with higher quality tools, but should i just save and buy craftsmen or another higher brand? I cant see myself buying snap-on...a bit out of my price range.

I looked at this guide, but wanted your opinion.

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/08...d-the-abysmal/
Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

They are fine for the "occassional" wrench user. If you were making a living off your hands and tools you'd want better ones, but for the common repairs they should do you fine.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:54 AM

the tools i use often are craftsman or snapon but i buy a lot of stuff that isnt used a lot from Harbor Frieght. I have never had a problem with them and some of the stuff i do use a lot, like my floor jack and flux welder, they are so cheap even if it does go out you arent out a lot of money. The best deal for tools that I have found is to search through pawn shops for Snapon and Craftsman then haggle with them. I have gotten some very expensive stuff pretty cheap.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Runs

Pittsburgh tool company makes some of the cheapest tool available. Just be cautious of what tools you buy. Use some common sense. Choose your tools wisely. If the tool is going to be used with lots of torque or pressure against it you want to get some quality tools for that purpose. Ex: drill bits, taps, dies, screwdrivers, sockets etc. Most wrenches will get the average shade tree mechanic by, but with good quality wrenches you have a good chance of not stripping or rounding off older bolts and nuts and screws and protecting the work piece and your self from damage.

This is just my two cents. Good luck and keep on wrenchin'
Old 11-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Year: 1992

Harbor Freight tools! They work for me, just fine. Also you know if you have a membership for them you get to exchange your tools if something breaks! I go in there all the time and replace tool if i got it from them.

some of theirs stuff is cheap but thats why you get to take em back
Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM

Year: 2001

Harbor Freight tools! X2 For non professional mechanics.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 AM

Year: 1996

I have some tools from them...some (strap wrenches) are totally worthless. Others, (long handle wrenches) have taken a beating and continue to come back for more. It's hit or miss most of the time with their quality.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

I personally like most of the harbor freight tools. Although for sockets and wrenches mine are all Craftsmen, GearWrench, and a few Snap-On and Husky. But for other less used tool harbor frieght makes a lot of sense. I got my first 4.5" angle grinder on sale there for $10 3 years laters and use of it for everything and its still kicken!
A lot of my little tools are from there, things like snap ring pliers, about 5 pairs of fake vise grips when they were on sale for $2, allen and torx sets, and just about all the little tools that stay in the Jeep.
Always be sure to check there sales, there is usually a couple things that are a great price!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 AM

I'm mostly talking about power tools. I bought a Sawsall knockoff for $19 for 1 project. Since then I've used it 4 or 5 times. It's got nylon gears I think, so you can't force it through a 2X like a Milwaukee, but if you let the tool do the work it's functional and cheap.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liek harbor freight for jack stands and jacks. I wouldnt bu any hand tools. Craftsmen replaces em if they break and they are around the corner. Wire brushes and the like are great from harbor freight too!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

You can exchange any hand tool from HF just like you can with craftsman or snap-on.

And you do NOT have to be a member to get this service.

Unless your store manager/owner is a dick.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
You can exchange any hand tool from HF just like you can with craftsman or snap-on.

And you do NOT have to be a member to get this service.

Unless your store manager/owner is a dick.
Well there arent any harbor freights around me. I have to mail order and I dont want to wait to exchange a broken tool.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by No4x4Yet
Well there arent any harbor freights around me. I have to mail order and I dont want to wait to exchange a broken tool.
Well that sucks for you, then, now doesn't it?

A buddie of mind was using a HF jack and it failed. I don't remember all the exact details but he ended up getting knocked unconcious for a long time, he ended up getting a bunch of cash from HF.

I've got plenty of tools from them, though, and realy haven't had any issues.

A torx bit I got from them twisted, though. That one is useless now, but I only paid $5 for a set, so less than $1 per bit.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:23 PM

OT...What torx stuff should you have to service an XJ?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Torx is star bit, correct? Not hex head..?

The post for the rear door latch. Lower seatbelt bolts. Rear "oh ****" bars. Several things.

Oh crap, I think I misunderstood that post.

What sizes do you need? T5 (i think) was the biggest I've needed so far. For the front lower seat belt bar bolt.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Tools