Engine: 4.0L I6

So I'm going to a junk yard on wednesday and heres my list:

Brush-guard and/or armored front and rear bumpers
Battery box
Lift gate shocks
NSS
Cold air intake
And a class 3 hitch

That's what I would like to get if I can find it all. Is there anything else that I should grab if I can find it?

Last edited by OOdynamite; 01-04-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

I'm on the hunt for some more neon or 5.0 injectors
Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Why are injectors such a good thing to upgrade?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by OOdynamite
Why are injectors such a good thing to upgrade?
The newer ones have an updated spray pattern the give you better fuel economy, makes the engine more responsive and increases power. Its not a whole lot but a few MPG, and hp for a couple bucks pays for itself.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by No4x4Yet

The newer ones have an updated spray pattern the give you better fuel economy, makes the engine more responsive and increases power. Its not a whole lot but a few MPG, and hp for a couple bucks pays for itself.
Are they hard to install? And by neon, do you mean dodge neon?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Yes dodge neon but since you have an 01 then i believe you need ones with 784 as the last numbers because of the plug style. And i dont know if those are neon injectors or not. Best do more research on that project lol.
Side note i have read/seen that you can use old hatch supports(shocks) to mock up a hood opening shock so hold on to your old ones in case you want to do that later.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BLACKSPORT
Yes dodge neon but since you have an 01 then i believe you need ones with 784 as the last numbers because of the plug style. And i dont know if those are neon injectors or not. Best do more research on that project lol.
Side note i have read/seen that you can use old hatch supports(shocks) to mock up a hood opening shock so hold on to your old ones in case you want to do that later.
Ok thanks for the info on the injectors.

And yea I think I might do that with the shocks, the only problem is that the reason I'm getting new ones it cuz mine don't hold very well anymore
Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 AM

yea that was the first thing i replaced with my xj. Have someone around to help old it bc i didnt and i cant remember if it hit me or if just holding it and installing the new one with only the other old one helping out but either way i was like "that was dumb" and wish i would have had someone there lol.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

For an '01 you need the 784 injectors. They're easiest to find in 97-00 Dodge Stratus's withe the 2.4 engine. Very easy to remove (a 13mm socket & ratchet, needle nose pliers, and a small flat tip screwdriver is all you need). To prep them, 1) soak them in fuel cleaner (Seafoam works very well) overnight, 2) test them to make sure they read 12 ohms, 3) use a 12v battery and some speaker wire to open them up and spray carb cleaner through them, and 4) replace the o-rings. You can get a reconditioning kit from Autozone/Pepboys/Advance Auto for like 4 bucks per injector that will give you new caps and o-rings. If you need help installing them on your XJ, check the link in my signature.

You'll get a smoother idle and better throttle response. You may see a slight mpg increase, but that would only be because you're removing dirty injectors and putting in clean ones.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BLACKSPORT
yea that was the first thing i replaced with my xj. Have someone around to help old it bc i didnt and i cant remember if it hit me or if just holding it and installing the new one with only the other old one helping out but either way i was like "that was dumb" and wish i would have had someone there lol.

Lol I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

No rdplz- thanks I'll keep that in mind, I don't think I'll tackle that project quite yet...
Old 01-04-2011, 02:10 PM

factory tranny cooler......all years can be used.They seem to be pretty common around here. if you can get the lines complete with it even better. if not, you can cut yours, flare the ends and use hose clamps.

A ZJ tie rod upgrade.

T/c skid.... from any XJ.

Good all metal tank replacement radiator if you have a plastic tanked one... ive found 2 almost new ones for $35 ea at the PaP.

ZJ or Liberty rear disk brakes. Paid $75 for last set I bought complete.

Tranny mount.....for a 01 its $80+ from dealer, $30+ parts house, $5 PaP. They are different than the older models and AZ and advanced dont even stock them.

Spare coil rail and a spare tranny control module isnt a bad idea either. Both of those are cheap at the PaP, but very expensive from a parts house. Cheap insurance to buy em and put them up for a rainy day. You can always double your money if ya never use them and want to sell them.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rmart30
factory tranny cooler......all years can be used.They seem to be pretty common around here. if you can get the lines complete with it even better. if not, you can cut yours, flare the ends and use hose clamps.

A ZJ tie rod upgrade.

T/c skid.... from any XJ.

Good all metal tank replacement radiator if you have a plastic tanked one... ive found 2 almost new ones for $35 ea at the PaP.

ZJ or Liberty rear disk brakes. Paid $75 for last set I bought complete.

Tranny mount.....for a 01 its $80+ from dealer, $30+ parts house, $5 PaP. They are different than the older models and AZ and advanced dont even stock them.

Spare coil rail and a spare tranny control module isnt a bad idea either. Both of those are cheap at the PaP, but very expensive from a parts house. Cheap insurance to buy em and put them up for a rainy day. You can always double your money if ya never use them and want to sell them.
Thanks!!!! That's what I was looking for lol. Yea I was prolly gonna grab a skid if I could find one. And the ZJ/Liberty disc brakes are genius!!! Never would have thought of that. And I don't know what a tranny cooler looks like... got a pic? Is it easy to take on and off?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM

I couldnt find a real picture but here is a diagram showing what and where its located.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tra...-cooler-30523/
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rmart30
I couldnt find a real picture but here is a diagram showing what and where its located.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tra...-cooler-30523/
Thanks a lot!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

So are the neon objectors a direct fit to the I6? Is there any nods that have to be done to them?