going on a big trip

Old 10-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default going on a big trip

I'm moving to denver colorado in early january. I am already replacing the battery, hoses, and bringing an extra starter and alternator. Plan on flushing the radiator soon, changing engine and dif fluids and changing the belt. What other problems should I plan for?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8

Long trips are harder on your transmission, too! Have you serviced it lately, and do you have an aux cooler?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by gruenlich
Long trips are harder on your transmission, too! Have you serviced it lately, and do you have an aux cooler?
I'm not sure about an aux cooler but I do know I haven't serviced it since I got it so maybe it needs that lol
Old 10-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992

If you drag a trailor,do a ext cooler,cheap insurance...give it a good pre trip before you leave.....Be safe.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i went on a 10k mile trip this past june.
we had 2 rigs and wheeled though.

if it needs the things you listed i would do it up.

i just did a quick check over everything on my rig and replaced things that were cheap and easy, like the belt and hoses (keep old parts for spares)

i brought every spare part i had in my "parts department" (just a shelf in my basement) and didn't have to use any.

i would grab a spare throttle body with iac,tps and map sensors(well maybe not map depending on the year of your jeep) usually pretty cheap at most boneyards and comes with 3 sensors that will make the jeep run loopy if something is skewed. if ya can a spare coil and cps arent a bad idea as well.

other than that, a cheap aluminum floor jack came in handy. i would jack up an axle every so often and make sure everything is spinning as it should. makes tire changes/repairs quick and easy too.

also if you run a dana30 with larger than stock tires, a spare wheel bearing isn't a bad idea.

like said a transmission cooler is a good investment, cheap and easy to install as well.

oh, and tools!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
i went on a 10k mile trip this past june.
we had 2 rigs and wheeled though.

if it needs the things you listed i would do it up.

i just did a quick check over everything on my rig and replaced things that were cheap and easy, like the belt and hoses (keep old parts for spares)

i brought every spare part i had in my "parts department" (just a shelf in my basement) and didn't have to use any.

i would grab a spare throttle body with iac,tps and map sensors(well maybe not map depending on the year of your jeep) usually pretty cheap at most boneyards and comes with 3 sensors that will make the jeep run loopy if something is skewed. if ya can a spare coil and cps arent a bad idea as well.

other than that, a cheap aluminum floor jack came in handy. i would jack up an axle every so often and make sure everything is spinning as it should. makes tire changes/repairs quick and easy too.

also if you run a dana30 with larger than stock tires, a spare wheel bearing isn't a bad idea.

like said a transmission cooler is a good investment, cheap and easy to install as well.

oh, and tools!
Well I'm going out with my tool box and tools so that's a check. I have a nice jack already and I'm running out there on stock tires for gas milage and my speedo gear was never changed for the 33's so it will keep my speedo on track