Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Gloves to work on your jeep?

What kinda gloves do you guys use when you work on your jeep or other stuff? I got a red pair of gloves i picked up from harbor freight and they do their job after of course making the giant mistake of trying to fix my fan shroud and having it break and completely gash my entire hand open..... But i may want a new pair soon some that breath in the florida heat and humidity because these ones make my hands sweat alot.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I'm in CT. Summer time I hardly wear any gloves. Be careful man!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have 3 different pair of gloves that I use depending on what I am doing.

1st set - Rubber lined on the outside fabric on the inside. Great for messy jobs cause they are easy to wipe off.
2nd set - Made specifically for handling sharp metal. They dont tear against something sharp. Great for reaching into tight places that have a lot of sharp edges.
3rd set - Thick gloves that have padding over your knuckles and fingers. Perfect for breaking bolts loose in a tight area where you know your hand is going to fly into something when the bolt breaks loose.

I dont care how hot it is, I always wear gloves for a reason. Back about 7 years ago, I broke a bolt loose and of course my hand smacked right into something sharp. It nearly cut one of my tendons completely in half. When you can see your bone, muscle and a tendon, you know its bad. My right hand is now permanently crippled. If I had my thick pair of gloves on, there would have been no permanent damage or a trip to the ER.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

None... ever...
Old 02-08-2018, 07:44 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Back about 7 years ago, I broke a bolt loose and of course my hand smacked right into something sharp. It nearly cut one of my tendons completely in half. When you can see your bone, muscle and a tendon, you know its bad. My right hand is now permanently crippled. If I had my thick pair of gloves on, there would have been no permanent damage or a trip to the ER.
This!

Be careful on the opposite swing.

Sorry it was that bad 5-Speed.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I have those same gloves from Harbor Freight. They last about as long as Mechanix gloves I have gone through a few pairs of those. I have some heavy rubber gloves for cleaning and such and some throw away latex gloves for really messy jobs.

I wear gloves most of the time for safety aswell as keeping somewhat clean for things like getting inside the vehicles for starting it or whatever you gotta do and not getting grease on everything you touch.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Latex disposable for non-difficult jobs (ie oil changes)
Leather gloves for the difficult jobs (ie suspension, major motor work)
Rubber gloves for washing cars in the winter (with hot water in the bucket)
Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OldTires
This!

Be careful on the opposite swing.

Sorry it was that bad 5-Speed.
Hey at least I still have my hand! Its still works, just always pain, not all the strength it used to have, limited movement and the worse part, I cant flip people off anymore!

I also have more scars on my hands then I can count. Again, all from not using gloves. Same thing goes for safety glasses. Use them even if you dont think you need to. If you have ever had the pleasure of having a Dr scrape out a chunk of metal from your eye, you will only do it once.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Hey at least I still have my hand! Its still works, just always pain, not all the strength it used to have, limited movement and the worse part, I cant flip people off anymore!

I also have more scars on my hands then I can count. Again, all from not using gloves. Same thing goes for safety glasses. Use them even if you dont think you need to. If you have ever had the pleasure of having a Dr scrape out a chunk of metal from your eye, you will only do it once.
You still have your other hand to offer up the 1 finger solute.

Seriously though... that does suck.... like you and most, I have several different types I use depending on the job. And always use the safety glasses. Those have saved my retinas more times then I can count when something either drips or flies off in the general direction of my head.

Last edited by RocketMouse; 02-08-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
You still have your other hand to offer up the 1 finger solute.

Seriously though... that does suck.... like you and most, I have several different types I use depending on the job. And always use the safety glasses. Those have saved my retinas more times then I can count when something either drips or flies off in the general direction of my head.
You got that right. Drivers side hand works just fine!

Here are some of the gloves I use. Im missing a few in the picture but each one gets used for a specific purpose. You can never have too many!

Old 02-08-2018, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997

Gloves? What are those?

I usually only wear gloves when I am greasing bearings or when I am dealing with automotive paint or bed liner, I get the boxes of nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight, I also have a pair of the insulated mechanics gloves from Harbor Freight that I use for working out side in the cold (I'm a HVAC tech) and they hold up great I have had the same pair for two years and my some miracle I haven't lost them yet.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0

I have always been partial to mechanix gloves, but I usually only use them when it is cold out.

I use a TON of nitrile gloves. I go through about about 50 pairs a week at work.
6 mil usually works fine. I use cheaper ones at home.
It does cost money, but I don't have a bunch of crap under my fingernails all the time... That is one of my pet peeves.

Last edited by craigjacob1; 02-08-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0L

Those bottom ones look like welding gloves.

I used to be the same way... I've been wrenching for more years than I care to count... but when I was younger I didn't really care... but the past few years, I've gotten a bit wiser when it comes to that... A close call definitely does the trick to make someone change their ways. Now I wear those and eye protection...and they've saved my butt (hands) and eyes a number of times. True story.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Engine: 4.0l

YES on the safety glasses and yeah i was the same way with gloves but this gash really hurt and scarred but man 5 speed that must suck but atleast it didnt have to get amputated! As for safety glasses i got over the glasses types and they came in handy so much times when you have a giant chunk of mud smack your face or like when i was at work i had to chisel away at a battery tray and so much rust fell on my face but nothing in my eyes yay

Edir: And also with the thick gloves for breaking bolts and such you dont know how much of a godsend thse are when you punch the ground as hard as you can and not feel as much pain

Last edited by EEVEE; 02-08-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97

Ok gloves did not help in this case but a long sleeved shirt might’ve. Stuck leaf spring bolt in the ole XJ and like a dummy, I was grinding the sleeve n bushing out when hot rubber landed on my arm which hurt like... well it hurt a lot and left a permanent scar. That’s a good topic, “scars from workin on my Jeep”