XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

General new jeep owner questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default General new jeep owner questions!

Hey all! I am new to the site and new to the jeep family. Just sold my s10 and bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 133k miles on it all stock. I am going to do the usual mods to it and I am just wondering a few things. I am not wanting to do a over the top lift on it because this will be my daily driver, but whats the best lift for that(and cheapest being a half broke college student)? Im thinking a 3 inch would be fine. Next for a 3inch lift what tires? I want the wide tire look so I was thinking some thing like 32x10.50 or is that to narrow? And lastly with the lift and tires how bad is my speedo going to be off? and my gas mileage what would I be seeing out of that for normal daily highway driving? Any help is welcome and ill get pics up soon! Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L I6
Unhappy

Hey buddie! Welcome to the forum!

We are in the exact same boat! I too am a college student, and 3 months ago I too BOUGHT a 2000 Jeep cherokee with 140k on the body!

Just Empty Every Pocket now because it wont get any better, but you'll love every minute of it.

Here is what I bought so far for me jeep, along with costs.

5 New Rubicon 16" rims : $525
New Alternator: $130
New Radiator Hoses: $30
Muffler + catalytic converter: $232
RC 3" Series 2 lift, Steering stabilizer, and t-case drop kit: $780.60
New Evap canister and hose: 60$
4 NTK o2 Sensors: $130
(Next purchase is 4 tires, at $460.00)

Thats just some that I can remember off the top of my head. I will give you advice I wish someone gave me, If you have FEDERAL EMISSIONS (1 cat) thank god and kiss the ground because you are lucky. If you have CA emissions (2 mini, 1 reg cat) Curse the world and punch every tree you meet. If you have CA emissions, and you get a CEL for cat, its either O2 sensors, or your 2 mini cats. So do those respectively, before replacing the cat before the muffler cause that probably isn't the problem since its not monitored. DOWNLOAD THE 2000 SERVICE MANUAL It's available on google FOR FREE Learn everything about your jeep and DO IT YOURSELF IF CAPABLE. Invest in a tool set, I bought a 200 piece socket and wrench set from lowes for $130. If you need any help ASK THE FORUM.

Welcome to CherokeeForum! Welcome to the Jeep Community.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by GooseJeep
Hey buddie! Welcome to the forum!

We are in the exact same boat! I too am a college student, and 3 months ago I too BOUGHT a 2000 Jeep cherokee with 140k on the body!

Just Empty Every Pocket now because it wont get any better, but you'll love every minute of it.

Here is what I bought so far for me jeep, along with costs.

5 New Rubicon 16" rims : $525
New Alternator: $130
New Radiator Hoses: $30
Muffler + catalytic converter: $232
RC 3" Series 2 lift, Steering stabilizer, and t-case drop kit: $780.60
New Evap canister and hose: 60$
4 NTK o2 Sensors: $130
(Next purchase is 4 tires, at $460.00)

Thats just some that I can remember off the top of my head. I will give you advice I wish someone gave me, If you have FEDERAL EMISSIONS (1 cat) thank god and kiss the ground because you are lucky. If you have CA emissions (2 mini, 1 reg cat) Curse the world and punch every tree you meet. If you have CA emissions, and you get a CEL for cat, its either O2 sensors, or your 2 mini cats. So do those respectively, before replacing the cat before the muffler cause that probably isn't the problem since its not monitored. DOWNLOAD THE 2000 SERVICE MANUAL It's available on google FOR FREE Learn everything about your jeep and DO IT YOURSELF IF CAPABLE. Invest in a tool set, I bought a 200 piece socket and wrench set from lowes for $130. If you need any help ASK THE FORUM.

Welcome to CherokeeForum! Welcome to the Jeep Community.
Wow, that's more money than I spent the entire time I was in school. Anyhoo, here's my list, which looks significantly different from Gooses.

5 15" Procomp Soft 8s with Goodyear Wrangler Radial 235/75-15 and lug nuts (spare is used with 80% tread): $505 including tax from America's Tire/Discount Tire

Reman Declo Remy 108 amp alternator: $55

3" budget lift: Pro Comp (full) leaf packs, new U-bolts, ZJ coils, Procomp 1.75" coil spacers: $325 total.

You'll be undergeared with 32s but it won't be horrible. If everything's in good shape and well maintained you should expect to see 19-22 on the highway depending on how much stuff you're hauling and how heavy your foot is. Don't use your odometer to calculate mileage unless you get a speedo gear to compensate for the larger tires. With 32s it should be off by about 15%.

Last edited by F1Addict; 03-06-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:21 PM

I will do EVERYTHING myself as I graduate this may with my automotive technician degree so tools arnt a big deal. I was thinking 15inch rims would be fine. for the lift i was thinking sometihng like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-2001-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-4-5-Lift-Kit-w-N2-0-Shocks-/140619799005?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2000%7CMake%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item20bd97d9dd&vxp=mtr but idk if i need the 4.5 or should i just go with a 3inch. i still want some mpg but still have fun in the woods. the jeep was taken care of and it shows it. no offroad miles just normal town or highway some interstate. changed oil and lubed every 3500 miles. so im for sure doing tires and lift 1st thing then off to trail lights and front bumper after a few pay checks from the new job.

Last edited by cruiser54; 03-07-2014 at 06:35 AM. Reason: noob cat talk removed
Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by theo715
I will do EVERYTHING myself as I graduate this may with my automotive technician degree so tools arnt a big deal. And I dont live anywere that I would need the emission testing so i would probly just go straight no cat. I was thinking 15inch rims would be fine. for the lift i was thinking sometihng like this Video Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-2001-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-4-5-Lift-Kit-w-N2-0-Shocks-/140619799005?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A2000%7CMake%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee &hash=item20bd97d9dd&vxp=mtr but idk if i need the 4.5 or should i just go with a 3inch. i still want some mpg but still have fun in the woods. the jeep was taken care of and it shows it. no offroad miles just normal town or highway some interstate. changed oil and lubed every 3500 miles. so im for sure doing tires and lift 1st thing then off to trail lights and front bumper after a few pay checks from the new job.
That kit is missing some stuff you need for 4.5" lift on an xj. Track bar/track bar mount, you'll need extended brake lines, those add a leafs will flatten out in no time, you'll need a slip yoke eliminator. Looks overpriced also.
The stock suspension/steering components are good up to 3" lift.

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 03-06-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

I will do EVERYTHING myself as I graduate this may with my automotive technician degree so tools arnt a big deal. And I dont live anywere that I would need the emission testing so i would probly just go straight no cat. I was thinking 15inch rims would be fine. for the lift i was thinking sometihng like this 1984 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4 5" Lift Kit w N2 0 Shocks | eBay but idk if i need the 4.5 or should i just go with a 3inch. i still want some mpg but still have fun in the woods. the jeep was taken care of and it shows it. no offroad miles just normal town or highway some interstate. changed oil and lubed every 3500 miles. so im for sure doing tires and lift 1st thing then off to trail lights and front bumper after a few pay checks from the new job.
Removing a cat is against federal law, whether or not you have inspections in your area, and any discussion of it here, is against forum rules. Just so you know. Nevermind. Cruiser fixed it for ya. And now ya know.

Last edited by cruiser54; 03-07-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 AM

Yes I did not see this in the forum rules when i read them. He has already sent me a message about it
Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
That kit is missing some stuff you need for 4.5" lift on an xj. Track bar/track bar mount, you'll need extended brake lines, those add a leafs will flatten out in no time, you'll need a slip yoke eliminator. Looks overpriced also.
The stock suspension/steering components are good up to 3" lift.
Im thinking a 3 inch would be fine since i still want highway/town drivability but would still be fine off road. So if i got a 3inch dont they only support 31inch tires?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by F1Addict
Wow, that's more money than I spent the entire time I was in school. Anyhoo, here's my list, which looks significantly different from Gooses.

5 15" Procomp Soft 8s with Goodyear Wrangler Radial 235/75-15 and lug nuts (spare is used with 80% tread): $505 including tax from America's Tire/Discount Tire

Reman Declo Remy 108 amp alternator: $55

3" budget lift: Pro Comp (full) leaf packs, new U-bolts, ZJ coils, Procomp 1.75" coil spacers: $325 total.

You'll be undergeared with 32s but it won't be horrible. If everything's in good shape and well maintained you should expect to see 19-22 on the highway depending on how much stuff you're hauling and how heavy your foot is. Don't use your odometer to calculate mileage unless you get a speedo gear to compensate for the larger tires. With 32s it should be off by about 15%.
Are you sure about that???? lol
Old 03-07-2014, 09:43 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Yes I did not see this in the forum rules when i read them. He has already sent me a message about it
Good deal, just looking out
Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 AM

Alright update to a old thread. Bought me a 98 cherokee with a 3.5 rubicon explress lift. What parts am i missing that i NEED and what do i need but can get away with not having as its on the jeep now lol. Whats the deal with the slip yoke eliminators? like what do they do and how do they help me? someone please school me in that stuff as I AM mechanic but never really delt with the little stuff and "laws of lifting" as i know some of you have.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Alright update to a old thread. Bought me a 98 cherokee with a 3.5 rubicon explress lift. What parts am i missing that i NEED and what do i need but can get away with not having as its on the jeep now lol. Whats the deal with the slip yoke eliminators? like what do they do and how do they help me? someone please school me in that stuff as I AM mechanic but never really delt with the little stuff and "laws of lifting" as i know some of you have.
Search search search....and it is impossible for us to know what your jeep may need or what might be missing over the internet.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:58 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Yeesh, start searching. If you really got your automotive degree then you should know what a slip yoke is and why a double cardan driveshaft is more effective.

What do you *need*? I'd say you need to inspect every component for wear and rust and change every fluid. Do the maintenance, then do the 'fun' stuff.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:23 AM

As ive said I wanted to be schooled in SYE because that was something I did not learn much in school nor deal with on daily bases as I work in a dealership not on off road vehicles hints why I asked. But thanks for no help at all guy

Last edited by theo715; 08-14-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

As ive said I wanted to be schooled in SYE because that was something I did not learn much in school nor deal with on daily bases as I work in a dealership not on off road vehicles hints why I asked. But thanks for no help at all guy
You want to be schooled? Then I will school you on the way to search google. Www.google.com is where to start searching. Why dont we want to type out a long winded post about an sye and what they do? Because its been typed out 1000's of times already. As a long time self taught lead tech at a shop you kids coming out of automotive schooling scare me and make me worry about the next generation of mechanics. The fact that you want **** spoon fed to you means you will never make it further than jiffy lube. Get on google or click on the search link on the main page. Start typing stuff in. Or just spend a few hours reading threads. I can guarantee any question you can ever ask about a cherokee can be answered by searching.