Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

gave up on my 00xj now getting a older xj..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default gave up on my 00xj now getting a older xj..

The jeep isnt doing so good... the floors are rusting bad - the rockers are getting there and there is numerous other rust spots... ALSO the frame rail has a rust hole through it and its right by the rear leaf spring... needs new shocks, tierods ball joints on one side and other suspension things...alternator and p.s pump are going out and water pump could use a replacing seems how the top bolt is snapped and it leaks slowly... as for the engine its junk, it sounds like a diesel - 170k, knocks, pings, taps and sounds like it has a huge exhaust leak... still runs alright but sounds like garbage and the miles are getting high...

so with all this said I am on the hunt for a OLDER cherokee... from what i have gathered and first hand experiences with newer 2000-2001 cherokees they ARE JUNK.. I have my eyes on a pristine 1994 cherokee country. 130k light rust leather seats , the engine is solid... my question is - is 94 a good year?? i know that older cherokee are reliable and i rarely see ones that have engine problems...
Old 03-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I'm not a fan of the HO motors, I'd go for an older renix model myself Good luck in your search, how much did u sell yours for?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: I've had a few...
Engine: A secret

94 is a great year.

Last year for the longer output shaft on the TC.

Doesn't have the 99+ poop head.

It is a 94 so it has the best flowing head.

Ya it's a jeep
Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by 00xj-classic
The jeep isnt doing so good... the floors are rusting bad - the rockers are getting there and there is numerous other rust spots... ALSO the frame rail has a rust hole through it and its right by the rear leaf spring... needs new shocks, tierods ball joints on one side and other suspension things...alternator and p.s pump are going out and water pump could use a replacing seems how the top bolt is snapped and it leaks slowly... as for the engine its junk, it sounds like a diesel - 170k, knocks, pings, taps and sounds like it has a huge exhaust leak... still runs alright but sounds like garbage and the miles are getting high...

so with all this said I am on the hunt for a OLDER cherokee... from what i have gathered and first hand experiences with newer 2000-2001 cherokees they ARE JUNK.. I have my eyes on a pristine 1994 cherokee country. 130k light rust leather seats , the engine is solid... my question is - is 94 a good year?? i know that older cherokee are reliable and i rarely see ones that have engine problems...
false, i know three guys not including my self that have 00-01s and they are great, no rust, engines run great, and ive got the higher mileage of them al (only 130k) but still thats nothing and my jeep is actually more powerful then my buddies jeeps, you just got a bad apple lol
Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 PM

thanks for the replies guys... i didn't sell the jeep.. i plan on using it as a winter beater for the crazy winters here in northern michigan... thats why the jeep is all rusted anyway... but on a side note, the engines in the 2000-2001 are junk... i didn't just get a "bad apple"- the jeep ran amazing when i got it a 40k... if you do your research you will find most people will say STAY AWAY FROM 2000-2001 - heads crack , bad lifters , piston skirts etc........ those types of problems are the WORST ON THE GRAND CHEROKEES, but still a huge problem on the xj's... .. ...ALthough i have witnessed a newer cherokee powertech I6 engine with 300k , ALMOST ALL 00-01 4 litre engines i have heard knock horribly...maybe you just got a GOOD APPLE...haha
Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I guess I got lucky with a good apple too, then. Curse my stupidity with buying a jeep from 2001¡
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00xj-classic

So you put 130.000 miles on it...haven't done much in the way of maintenance(just an assumption based on all the stuff it needs)...Yeah what a piece of crap...
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM

I would be careful calling the 2000 2001 junk. There are quite a few guys on here that would disagree
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Originally Posted by Copperhead
So you put 130.000 miles on it...haven't done much in the way of maintenance(just an assumption based on all the stuff it needs)...Yeah what a piece of crap...
^^ This.

My 00 purrs like a kitten. I got it with 80k 2 years ago, now up to 140k and it still sounds smooth as silk. The ONLY reason people say to stay away from the 00 and 01's are because of the craptastic head castings. Outside of this and the coil pack, the motors are the same.

You will end up buying a 94 and it will still need everything that yours does, if the PO hasn't ever replaced those parts...kinda like you it sounds like.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7

ive never had any of those problems, i dont think there is much more research that i can do on it, ive only owned it for 5 years..... there is no such thing as a bad year for the cherokees, it just depends on how its taken care of, obviously yours isnt taken care of very well, i dont have one spot of rust, ive had a head gasket go bad and my head is in perfect shape, i drive the hell out of my jeep and never have had any of those so called "common" problems on 00-01s, my jeep runs just as good if not better then the day it rolled of the showroom floor, just cause you have owned one bad jeep doesnt mean they are all bad
Old 03-15-2011, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by cherokeeaddiction23
ive never had any of those problems, i dont think there is much more research that i can do on it, ive only owned it for 5 years..... there is no such thing as a bad year for the cherokees, it just depends on how its taken care of, obviously yours isnt taken care of very well, i dont have one spot of rust, ive had a head gasket go bad and my head is in perfect shape, i drive the hell out of my jeep and never have had any of those so called "common" problems on 00-01s, my jeep runs just as good if not better then the day it rolled of the showroom floor, just cause you have owned one bad jeep doesnt mean they are all bad
Exactly...
I have had no mechanical problems with my cherokee. I am having electrical problems but only because A LOT, and I mean A LOT of wires were cut and haphazardly spliced by the p.o.

The only 'problem' I have with my '00 not due to human error is gas mileage... mine has been slowly decreasing and has dropped to 14 mpg after easy driving. I got 16mpg going 65 in my dad's older 8 cylinder truck, with a ATV on the back ( gotta love buying a new toy). Its starting to really frustrate me.
But I dont ASSume all 2000 Cherokee's are crappy. They are fine vehicles with many improvements over previous years esp. 96 and older...(like distributorless ignition, new intake manifold, stiffer unibody, cupholders)
Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 AM

Year: 1994

I got my 94 with the HO with 115,000 on it and is up to 163688 and have had no issues but an o2 sensor..shes been great to me..but is showing her wear and tear wit rust..rockers shot holes in each quarter and two holes in rear pan..other then that shes a champ
Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 AM

well i didn't intend on a argument over this .. I have been very good to my jeep - oil changes..... i have replaced a lot of parts... the only reason i gave up on the thing is the frame rail is rusting out bad and so are the floors....so its been a year since i noticed that, with no new parts regardless if it needed it or not... something was wrong with the design of the 00-01 engines... i have been told this by a jeep tech down at the dealer... not much more i can say there - other than I WILL NEVER BUY A 00-01 cherokee ever again....
Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)

I own a 1994 Cherokee Country edition with 238.5k miles on it and the H.O. motor, runs like a beast as long as you maintain the engine and all of it's fluids and such. They are ABSOLUTELY wonderful, and very easy to work on without all the extra junk like ABS that the 00's and 01's had. My 94 having the H.O. motor, I burn other cherokee sports and such from light to light and I can notice the difference off road a bit. I love it. (This is friendly competition among jeepers. )
Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

I have a 2000 85,000 mi. on my head and about 50,000 on the jasper rebuild block from a '94. I had a pushrod go bad and now I have a knock again. BUT I'm 99% sure it was the P.O. When I took the valve cover off the first time, it wasn't the cleanest thing I'll say that. I don't have ANY other major issues. I have wheeled the **** out of mine on hot days and have yet to see a problem with my "crack-prone head".

Quick Reply: gave up on my 00xj now getting a older xj..