Old 06-17-2016, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Gauging Interest

Hello to CF!

I wanted to make a quick thread to gauge the interest of the community in some brackets I designed. These brackets are intended to supplement a rear disc brake swap. They are a simple edition to the swap that I believe will simplify the brake line routing process.

So what's so good about these? Well, for anyone who has done this brake swap, they know that routing the hard line and soft line for each caliper is pretty much a unique works-or-doesn't part of the process. I've seen everything from the hard line routed under the axle behind the u bolts, to routed near stock location with the stock ZJ soft line in a severe 180* turn, to routing the hard line around the front of the u bolt plate and the soft line between the rotor and leaf spring (what I did originally). The problem is, the first and last scenarios are susceptible to rock or debris damage, which is what happened to my setup despite efforts to protect the hard line. The second option speaks for itself.

My original setup that failed due to rock damage:

I know, I know: he's rambling. Get to the point! So basically, these brackets allow a better routing of the hard line (behind the axle tube, coming up at the sway bar bracket) and allows the use of a stock XJ front soft line in lieu of a rear ZJ soft line. This allows the soft line to run back up behind the caliper to the bracket, where it is protected at nearly all points. The only two potentially questionable spots are where the provided exterior rubber guards are placed.

No stress or insane bends on the soft line. The bracket is handmade from aluminum. This is a rough product, meaning the final product will be primed (self etching) and shot with a few layers of rubberized undercoating, using stainless steel hardware.

Let me know what ya'll think!
Old 06-18-2016, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Very nice, clean and simple if cost factor was in line I bet many would buy them. This is a very nice add-on for Big David's brake kits sold here.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Just wanted to bring this back forward. I apologize for the delay in response and updates. Illness and a couple other things had me tied up.

I have three sets of brackets total now drying out in my shed. The Rustoleum rubberized coating is garbage and did not dry after baking in this hell heat for two weeks. Stripped the painted ones back to metal and started over. All brackets are shot with three coats (first light, two moderate) of self-etching primer, allowed to dry, and then hit with two solid coats of semi-gloss black Farm and Implement paint. MUCH better product with as much durability.

Pics tomorrow. The setup includes stainless hardware. My intention is to have these brackets outlast the Jeep itself.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

And the finished product! I hope to have them installed tomorrow. Work ran a bit late today.

Name:  ForumRunner_20160712_184830.png
Views: 175
Size:  401.4 KB
Old 07-15-2016, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

And the installed product! Please forgive the junky rotors and calipers. All will be replaced soon enough!

Gauging Interest-20160714_195759.jpg

Gauging Interest-20160714_195807.jpg

Gauging Interest-20160714_195811.jpg

Gauging Interest-20160714_195815.jpg

Last edited by 1991Jeep_Man; 07-15-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Wowzers that looks great! I've been contemplating the rear disc swap and was wondering how to handle the brake lines. The only issue I see is those U-bolt nuts might be challenging to take off on rust-belt Jeeps. Any idea yet on pricing?
Old 07-15-2016, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Do the swap. You won't regret it.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Do the swap. You won't regret it.
It's definitely on my "to do" list, I've been checking out posts on the swap and plan to buy the kit from Big Dave. The brackets from 1991Jeep_Man sure look like the ticket for routing the brake lines. For the parking brake it seems the simplest thing will be to use the existing cables hooked around the actuating lever with cable clamps.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by Rambler65
It's definitely on my "to do" list, I've been checking out posts on the swap and plan to buy the kit from Big Dave. The brackets from 1991Jeep_Man sure look like the ticket for routing the brake lines. For the parking brake it seems the simplest thing will be to use the existing cables hooked around the actuating lever with cable clamps.
I bought new parking brake cables from Morris4x4 made specifically for the disc brake swap, got them quick and installing them was easy.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:51 AM
CF Veteran

Wowzers that looks great! I've been contemplating the rear disc swap and was wondering how to handle the brake lines. The only issue I see is those U-bolt nuts might be challenging to take off on rust-belt Jeeps. Any idea yet on pricing?
Thanks! I could see a solution to the u-bolts being a wire wheel and some antiseize all over the threads. Or a rubber cap to put over the remaining thread with some antiseize underneath.

Working on pricing. I'm trying very hard to stay around $25 - 30 shipped for the kit, obviously closer to $25 if I can. Shipping and u bolt nuts are the 'biggest' expense percentage right now. USPS has a flat rate box for $5.xx with tracking but it's overkill in size. Gonna check all other options.

Another thing I need to test is fitment in general for the Chrysler 8.25 and Dana 44, as well as verify u bolt nut size for stock application. Everything I have so far is based on my 91 XJ with Dana Turdy5. In theory, the lateral u bolt spacing should be universal on all three axles. But the last thing I want to do is send people something they have to modify to work and hardware that won't fit.

I may seek out free trial runners with Dana 44 and ChryCo 8.25 axles. Send them the brackets in exchange for a measurement of u bolt thread size and any modification to the mounting holes required to fit.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by PNWjeeper
I bought new parking brake cables from Morris4x4 made specifically for the disc brake swap, got them quick and installing them was easy.
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know such a thing existed, will definitely check it out.

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Thanks! I could see a solution to the u-bolts being a wire wheel and some antiseize all over the threads. Or a rubber cap to put over the remaining thread with some antiseize underneath. ...
Of course getting the old bolts off is going to be an interesting proposition. Maybe soak them with Kroil for a few days, apply some heat. I don't know if there's enough clearance back there to use an impact gun.

Pricing sounds good. For small/light items you may find that just using a padded envelope and regular First Class mail might be the cheapest way to go. Also, I have a '99 XJ with Chrysler 8.25 axle, I'd be happy to help check the fit.

Last edited by Rambler65; 07-16-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Of course getting the old bolts off is going to be an interesting proposition. Maybe soak them with Kroil for a few days, apply some heat. I don't know if there's enough clearance back there to use an impact gun.

Pricing sounds good. For small/light items you may find that just using a padded envelope and regular First Class mail might be the cheapest way to go. Also, I have a '99 XJ with Chrysler 8.25 axle, I'd be happy to help check the fit.
Ah see that's the beauty of this system: the old nuts don't come off. This bracket simply sits on the existing nuts, and tightens down with new nuts on the remainder of the threads. No need to wrestle old rusty junk off!

I currently have two more sets ready to roll. If you could confirm the thread size on your existing u-bolts for me, I can mail you a kit (with correct nuts) free of charge if you'd be willing to share fitment issues and any alterations you needed for fitment!
Old 07-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Ah see that's the beauty of this system: the old nuts don't come off. This bracket simply sits on the existing nuts, and tightens down with new nuts on the remainder of the threads. No need to wrestle old rusty junk off!
Ah, that wasn't clear to me from the photos! Now that is an example of smart thinking!

I currently have two more sets ready to roll. If you could confirm the thread size on your existing u-bolts for me, I can mail you a kit (with correct nuts) free of charge if you'd be willing to share fitment issues and any alterations you needed for fitment!
Sure thing if you can give me two or three days to get to it. (She Who Must Be Obeyed has our weekend pretty much planned out.) I'll send you a PM with what I find.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Ah, that wasn't clear to me from the photos! Now that is an example of smart thinking!

Sure thing if you can give me two or three days to get to it. (She Who Must Be Obeyed has our weekend pretty much planned out.) I'll send you a PM with what I find.
Much appreciated! Take your time. Looking forward to seeing if I really managed to make these things XJ-versal. Now I just gotta find a fellow with a Dana 44 lol.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:55 AM

Anyone know what's going on with 1991Jeep_Man? Over a week ago I sent him a PM with the results of fitting his brackets on my '99 XJ. (It looks like the last time he posted on the forum was 7/19.)

Basically the brackets fit fine after elongating one of the bolt holes by about 1/16".

It seemed like he really wanted to move on these - hope he's just busy and otherwise OK...

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest